Coexistance of SVG Viewer 2 and SVG Viewer 3

  • Arnold, Curt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      As mentioned over the weekend, the installation script for SVG Viewer 3 Beta 1 will remove SVG Viewer 2 and therefore break any COM applications that directly embed SVG Viewer 2.

      It does seem possible to have both SVG Viewer 3 and SVG Viewer 2 installed on the same machine. Only one will handle the "image/xml+svg" and related mime types, but COM applications can have either
      SVG Viewer 2 or SVG Viewer 3 depending on what component they added to their project.

      This may not be the only path, but it was worked for me. This fix is not appropriate for end users and does not eliminate the need to address the issue with the installation script.

      Step 1: Uninstall SVG Viewer 3 if installed
      Step 2: Install Acrobat Reader 5 (SVG Viewer 2 may also work, but not tested)
      Step 3: Copy the \windir\system32\Adobe\SVG Viewer directory to a safe location
      Step 4: Install SVG Viewer 3
      Step 5: Copy the files from step 3 back to \windir\system32\Adobe\SVG Viewer
      Step 6: regsvr32 "\windir\system32\adobe\SVG Viewer\svgcontrol.dll"
      Step 7: regsvr32 "\windir\system32\adobe\SVG Viewer 3.0\npsvg3.dll"

      Step 6 will cause SVG Viewer 2 to handle SVG mime types, step 7 reasserts SVG Viewer 3's handing of the SVG mime types. You can use the regsvr32 steps to switch between SVG Viewer's used by IE. If
      you don't have a copy of regsvr32, selecting the Project/Components menu item from VB 6 and browing to the file should do the same thing.

      From a COM perspective, the SVG Viewers look unrelated. If your project references "Adobe SVG Viewer Type Library 2.0", SVG Viewer 2 will be used, if you reference "SVGActiveX 3.0 Type Library", SVG
      Viewer 3 will be used.
    • Peter Sorotokin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
        Yes, this process probably should work. One suggestion to
        make it more appropriate for end users: find out which
        registry entries your application needs and put these
        entries in (and nothing else) every time you need to create
        SVG-related object (probably these two registry "folders":
        HKCR\CLSID\{EBF9B040-94C9-11d4-9064-00C04F78ACF9} and
        HKCR\Adobe.SVGCtl.2) Beware that these entries are wiped out
        by v3 installer. Needless to say this is totally unsupported
        configuration.

        Peter

        --- In svg-developers@y..., "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@h...> wrote:
        > As mentioned over the weekend, the installation script for SVG
        Viewer 3 Beta 1 will remove SVG Viewer 2 and therefore break any COM
        applications that directly embed SVG Viewer 2.

        > It does seem possible to have both SVG Viewer 3 and SVG Viewer 2
        installed on the same machine. Only one will handle
        the "image/xml+svg" and related mime types, but COM applications can
        have either
        > SVG Viewer 2 or SVG Viewer 3 depending on what component they added
        to their project.

        > This may not be the only path, but it was worked for me. This fix
        is not appropriate for end users and does not eliminate the need to
        address the issue with the installation script.

        > Step 1: Uninstall SVG Viewer 3 if installed
        > Step 2: Install Acrobat Reader 5 (SVG Viewer 2 may also work, but
        not tested)
        > Step 3: Copy the \windir\system32\Adobe\SVG Viewer directory to a
        safe location
        > Step 4: Install SVG Viewer 3
        > Step 5: Copy the files from step 3 back to \windir\system32
        \Adobe\SVG Viewer
        > Step 6: regsvr32 "\windir\system32\adobe\SVG Viewer\svgcontrol.dll"
        > Step 7: regsvr32 "\windir\system32\adobe\SVG Viewer 3.0\npsvg3.dll"
        >
        > Step 6 will cause SVG Viewer 2 to handle SVG mime types, step 7
        reasserts SVG Viewer 3's handing of the SVG mime types. You can use
        the regsvr32 steps to switch between SVG Viewer's used by IE. If
        > you don't have a copy of regsvr32, selecting the Project/Components
        menu item from VB 6 and browing to the file should do the same thing.

        > From a COM perspective, the SVG Viewers look unrelated. If your
        project references "Adobe SVG Viewer Type Library 2.0", SVG Viewer 2
        will be used, if you reference "SVGActiveX 3.0 Type Library", SVG