Re: [svg-developers] print SVG from FF3 into PDF, opacity problems

  • John Delacour
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
      At 15:35 +0000 6/1/09, André M. Winter wrote:

      >svg seems to print well out of firefox 3 (also fits to page
      >orientation ) but it totally igonores tranparencies.
      >
      >eg. here:
      >
      ><rect x="55" y="55" width="555" height="455" fill="red"/>
      ><rect x="255" y="255" width="555" height="455" fill="green" opacity=".4"/>
      >
      >anyone observed this of knows more about this issue?

      Well ...

      At 19:53 +0000 23/12/08, I wrote:

      >Robert Longson replied to my query that FireFox uses Cairo for the
      >conversion. How Safari does it I don't know. I have since installed
      >Cairo on the Mac, not without a lot of difficulty, and see that it is
      >not a complete solution, since attributes such as opacity are not
      >respected, but anything is better than a rasterized output.

      Since I wrote that I have found a way of converting to pdf using
      svg2pdf, which also uses cairo and opacity is rendered fine, so why
      FireFox is not respecting opacity attributes, if it is using cairo
      for the conversion, I don't know. On the other hand svg2pdf/cairo
      gives a bus error if any text is included in the svg, which is a
      severe limitation. Nevertheless it is serving my purposes pretty
      well at the moment.

      JD
    • André M. Winter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
        hi,

        people reported that print directly to paper works well. then it seems
        to be related to my pdf print driver (althouh it is adobe acrobat).
        maybe not a FF bug!

        a+
        andré
      • John Delacour
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
          At 07:38 +0000 8/1/09, André M. Winter wrote:

          >people reported that print directly to paper works well. then it seems
          >to be related to my pdf print driver (althouh it is adobe acrobat).
          >maybe not a FF bug!

          Well I have the same problem using Preview on the Mac and not
          Acrobat, so I think it may be a FireFox omission.

          JD