Re: print SVG from FF3 into PDF, opacity problems

  • Kenneth Nellis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
      The Macintosh version of Firefox 3.0.5 prints your example fine for
      me. �Ken Nellis

      On Jan 6, 2009, at 12:17 PM, svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > print SVG from FF3 into PDF, opacity problems
      > Posted by: "Andr� M. Winter" carto.net@... raxmapa
      > Tue Jan 6, 2009 7:35 am (PST)
      >
      > hello,
      >
      > svg seems to print well out of firefox 3 (also fits to page
      > orientation ) but it totally igonores tranparencies.
      >
      > eg. here:
      >
      > <rect x="55" y="55" width="555" height="455" fill="red"/>
      > <rect x="255" y="255" width="555" height="455" fill="green"
      > opacity=".4"/>
      >
      > anyone observed this of knows more about this issue?
      >
      > thanks and greetings from Tyrol,
      > andr�

    • John Delacour
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
        At 15:35 +0000 6/1/09, André M. Winter wrote:

        >svg seems to print well out of firefox 3 (also fits to page
        >orientation ) but it totally igonores tranparencies.
        >
        >eg. here:
        >
        ><rect x="55" y="55" width="555" height="455" fill="red"/>
        ><rect x="255" y="255" width="555" height="455" fill="green" opacity=".4"/>
        >
        >anyone observed this of knows more about this issue?

        Well ...

        At 19:53 +0000 23/12/08, I wrote:

        >Robert Longson replied to my query that FireFox uses Cairo for the
        >conversion. How Safari does it I don't know. I have since installed
        >Cairo on the Mac, not without a lot of difficulty, and see that it is
        >not a complete solution, since attributes such as opacity are not
        >respected, but anything is better than a rasterized output.

        Since I wrote that I have found a way of converting to pdf using
        svg2pdf, which also uses cairo and opacity is rendered fine, so why
        FireFox is not respecting opacity attributes, if it is using cairo
        for the conversion, I don't know. On the other hand svg2pdf/cairo
        gives a bus error if any text is included in the svg, which is a
        severe limitation. Nevertheless it is serving my purposes pretty
        well at the moment.

        JD
      • André M. Winter
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
          hi,

          people reported that print directly to paper works well. then it seems
          to be related to my pdf print driver (althouh it is adobe acrobat).
          maybe not a FF bug!

          a+
          andré
        • John Delacour
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
            At 07:38 +0000 8/1/09, André M. Winter wrote:

            >people reported that print directly to paper works well. then it seems
            >to be related to my pdf print driver (althouh it is adobe acrobat).
            >maybe not a FF bug!

            Well I have the same problem using Preview on the Mac and not
            Acrobat, so I think it may be a FireFox omission.

            JD