Are glyph-name lists comma or space separated?

  • Frank Bruder
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hello,

      according to the SVG 1.1 specification the glyph-name attribute of
      glyph elements, and the g1 and g2 attributes of hkern and vkern
      elements both have the format
      "<name> [, <name> ]* "
      which would imply a comma separated list.
      In the section Basic Data Types under <list of xxx> the SVG 1.1
      specification states that
      "Unless explicitly described differently, lists within SVG's XML
      attributes can be either comma-separated, with optional white space
      before or after the comma, or white space-separated."
      (Which maybe doesn't apply here, since the expression <list of names>
      is not used.)

      The SVG Tiny 1.2 Draft defines the attributes glyph-name, g1, and g2
      to be of the format
      "<list-of-strings>"
      which in the Basic Data Types section is defined as white space
      separated:
      "A <list-of-strings> consists of a separated sequence of <string>s.
      String lists are white space-separated, where white space is defined
      as one or more of the following consecutive characters: "space" (U
      +0020), "tab" (U+0009), "line feed" (U+000A) and "carriage return" (U
      +000D)."

      With comma separated lists kerning works in Apache Batik, the Adobe
      SVG Viewer, and (though not always correctly) in Opera, and from my
      understanding this behavior is standards compliant and should remain
      so for backwards compatibility.
      Other opinions?

      Regards
      Frank
    • Cameron McCormack
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2009
        Hi Frank.

        Frank Bruder:
        > The SVG Tiny 1.2 Draft defines the attributes glyph-name, g1, and g2
        > to be of the format
        > "<list-of-strings>"
        > which in the Basic Data Types section is defined as white space
        > separated:
        > "A <list-of-strings> consists of a separated sequence of <string>s.
        > String lists are white space-separated, where white space is defined
        > as one or more of the following consecutive characters: "space" (U
        > +0020), "tab" (U+0009), "line feed" (U+000A) and "carriage return" (U
        > +000D)."
        >
        > With comma separated lists kerning works in Apache Batik, the Adobe
        > SVG Viewer, and (though not always correctly) in Opera, and from my
        > understanding this behavior is standards compliant and should remain
        > so for backwards compatibility.
        > Other opinions?

        I agree with your summary. At first glance, this seems like an
        accidental incompatibility. I’ve raised
        http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2194 with the WG, which,
        if agreed to, will result in an erratum being published for SVG Tiny 1.2.

        Thanks,

        Cameron

        --
        Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/