Re: displaying svg on IE after 12-31-08

  • richard.trigaux
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bruder" <redurbf@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "richard.trigaux"
      > <trigaux.richard@> wrote:
      > >

      > > This would not be good on a commercial site however, where we
      must
      > > have to do with our client's ways. But why not "Please try this
      site
      > > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or Firefox, and see
      the
      > > difference"
      > >

      > Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last time I've
      seen
      > a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE. Right now I
      only
      > get a "your browser is not supported yet" message without a link to
      > help page or a list of supported browsers, but I suppose it's still
      IE
      > only. Now they don't even tell users which browser could be used to
      > access the service. So what I'm saying is, whatever you do, at least
      > it can't be worse than that site.

      It is even worse than that, many sites block specifically Opera, for
      a reason I don't know. And they don't tell the user, just display an
      error. Tis problem is well knownd from the Opera staff, I found it on
      ebay/paypal, Norton, and others. This is absurd, as these sites just
      lose customers, with no reason. Because of this there is in Opera an
      option "appear as MSIE" and poof the error disappears magically...

      At least with my method the user is warned.

      and on my sites, I allow any browser, just detect the browser to
      correct its specific mistakes, and assume unknown browsers don't do
      mistakes.
    • veiko herne
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
        I dont know sites that block opera, however lot of sites like www.ukmusic.com have javascript code that does not show up properly.

        Veiko

        http://veikoh.wordpress.com

        > > > This would not be good on a commercial site
        > however, where we
        > must
        > > > have to do with our client's ways. But why
        > not "Please try this
        > site
        > > > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or
        > Firefox, and see
        > the
        > > > difference"
        > > >

        > > Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last
        > time I've
        > seen
        > > a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE.
        > Right now I
        > only
        > > get a "your browser is not supported yet"
        > message without a link to
        > > help page or a list of supported browsers, but I
        > suppose it's still
        > IE
        > > only. Now they don't even tell users which browser
        > could be used to
        > > access the service. So what I'm saying is,
        > whatever you do, at least
        > > it can't be worse than that site.
        > >

        > It is even worse than that, many sites block specifically
        > Opera, for
        > a reason I don't know. And they don't tell the
        > user, just display an
        > error. Tis problem is well knownd from the Opera staff, I
        > found it on
        > ebay/paypal, Norton, and others. This is absurd, as these
        > sites just
        > lose customers, with no reason. Because of this there is in
        > Opera an
        > option "appear as MSIE" and poof the error
        > disappears magically...
        >
        > At least with my method the user is warned.
        >
        > and on my sites, I allow any browser, just detect the
        > browser to
        > correct its specific mistakes, and assume unknown browsers
        > don't do
        > mistakes.

      • richard.trigaux
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, veiko herne <veiko_h@...>
          wrote:

          > I dont know sites that block opera, however lot of sites like
          www.ukmusic.com have javascript code that does not show up properly.

          > Veiko
          >
          > http://veikoh.wordpress.com

          They don't properly block Opera, but they send it unappropriate
          code, or errors messages, so that the result is the same. I had the
          problem in coming to paypal from an Ebay page. Not a good idea,
          though, as opera users are warned, and they think it is the site
          which is wrong, not the browser. Although on Norton payment form,
          they say "your browser is not safe". But with IE I don't have this
          message...