Re: Embedding a swf file into SVG doc

  • Frank Bruder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009

      http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/javadoc/org/apache/batik/transcoder/wmf/tosvg/WMFTranscoder.html

      > I don’t think it is exposed through the command-line transcoder
      > application yet, unfortunately.
      >
      > > Thanks and happy new year.
      >
      > 新年快樂!
      >
      > --
      > Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/

      This was about Shockwave Flash, not Windows Metafile. No user agent
      supports swf natively. Answer number two, an xhtml object tag inside a
      foreignObject tag is correct. If supported by the user agent this
      gives us the full power of plugin technology we can use in HTML. But I
      don't suppose that foreignObject would work if the SVG user agent is
      itself a plugin, so this wouldn't work in Internet Explorer. All the
      major browsers with native SVG support do support foreignObject.

      Theoretically, the image tag, or in SVG 1.2 the animation tag, does
      not need to rely on native support. They could reference anything, and
      user agents are free to use plugins for rendering whatever they
      reference. I don't know for sure, but I don't think browsers do this
      yet, so we'll have to use foreignObject and the xhtml object tag. But
      that's just an overtly complicated way of writing answer number one.
      Note the redundancy. Width and height are set in both the
      svg:foreignObject element, and the xhtml:object element. One could use
      an XSL Transformation to automatically replace image and animation
      elements with xlink:type="application/x-shockwave-flash" with the
      foreignObject + xhtml:object solution.

      Conversion to SVG is also an option. I'm sure there exist projects
      working at SWF to SVG conversion. Translating all script and animation
      would be a lot, however. If working conversion tools exist, they are
      probably very limited.

      Regards
      Frank