Re: More cairo/svg2pdf difficulties

  • Frank Bruder
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

      > It seems that svg2pdf, using Cairo, balks at <text>anything</text>
      > and gives a bus error. If anyone knows what might be the reason, and
      > a solution, I'd be glad to hear it but in order to get on with things
      > I'm thinking of creating the glyphs as paths in the Perl script and
      > using a subroutine to render the pseudo-text.
      >
      > I've done a fairly long google for anything ready-made in the way of
      > glyph paths but found nothing. If I can save the time it would take
      > to create my own paths, so much the better.
      >
      > JD

      You could use Apache Batik. Despite its name the "rasterizer" command
      line tool does not rasterze when the output content type is set to
      application/pdf, except for areas with filters or transparency, which
      can't be done in PDF other than by rasterizing.

      The only shortcomings of Batik's SVG to PDF conversion I've observed
      so far are that text is rendered as outlines, not selectable, and
      copiable text, and links are not reproduced in the PDF.