Re: displaying svg on IE after 12-31-08

  • richard.trigaux
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Fuliopen <fuliopen@...> wrote:

      > I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for
      SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is
      defective? Thanks.

      > fulio pen

      Since they bought macromedia, the creator and owner of flash, they
      don't have any interest in supporting the SVG. If flash is replaced
      by SVG, they lose a lucrative market of expensive flash authoring
      tools. Seems that they do not have the idea od selling SVG authoring
      tools...
    • Frank Bruder
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "richard.trigaux"
        <trigaux.richard@...> wrote:

        > This would not be good on a commercial site however, where we must
        > have to do with our client's ways. But why not "Please try this site
        > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or Firefox, and see the
        > difference"

        Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last time I've seen
        a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE. Right now I only
        get a "your browser is not supported yet" message without a link to a
        help page or a list of supported browsers, but I suppose it's still IE
        only. Now they don't even tell users which browser could be used to
        access the service. So what I'm saying is, whatever you do, at least
        it can't be worse than that site.
      • Fuliopen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
          I went to the following web page:

          http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/

          It seems that ASV is no longer available for download. But if one has already installed ASV to his computer, he is still able to view SVG. I like to make 100% sure on whether or not the ASV is still available for downloading. If not, I need to urge my visitors to switch to Firefox or Opera. The SVG files in my web site are important in presenting ideas.

          Thanks for your help.
          fulio pen

          ________________________________
          > I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for
          SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is
          defective? Thanks.

          > fulio pen

          Since they bought macromedia, the creator and owner of flash, they
          don't have any interest in supporting the SVG. If flash is replaced
          by SVG, they lose a lucrative market of expensive flash authoring
          tools. Seems that they do not have the idea od selling SVG authoring
          tools...

        • Guy Morton
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
            You didn't look very hard. Try scrolling to the middle of the page...

            On 03/01/2009, at 9:58 AM, Fuliopen wrote:

            > I went to the following web page:
            >
            > http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/
            >
            > It seems that ASV is no longer available for download. But if one
            > has already installed ASV to his computer, he is still able to view
            > SVG. I like to make 100% sure on whether or not the ASV is still
            > available for downloading. If not, I need to urge my visitors to
            > switch to Firefox or Opera. The SVG files in my web site are
            > important in presenting ideas.
            >

            > Thanks for your help.
            > fulio pen
            >

            > ________________________________

          • richard.trigaux
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bruder" <redurbf@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "richard.trigaux"
              > <trigaux.richard@> wrote:
              > >

              > > This would not be good on a commercial site however, where we
              must
              > > have to do with our client's ways. But why not "Please try this
              site
              > > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or Firefox, and see
              the
              > > difference"
              > >

              > Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last time I've
              seen
              > a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE. Right now I
              only
              > get a "your browser is not supported yet" message without a link to
              > help page or a list of supported browsers, but I suppose it's still
              IE
              > only. Now they don't even tell users which browser could be used to
              > access the service. So what I'm saying is, whatever you do, at least
              > it can't be worse than that site.

              It is even worse than that, many sites block specifically Opera, for
              a reason I don't know. And they don't tell the user, just display an
              error. Tis problem is well knownd from the Opera staff, I found it on
              ebay/paypal, Norton, and others. This is absurd, as these sites just
              lose customers, with no reason. Because of this there is in Opera an
              option "appear as MSIE" and poof the error disappears magically...

              At least with my method the user is warned.

              and on my sites, I allow any browser, just detect the browser to
              correct its specific mistakes, and assume unknown browsers don't do
              mistakes.
            • veiko herne
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                I dont know sites that block opera, however lot of sites like www.ukmusic.com have javascript code that does not show up properly.

                Veiko

                http://veikoh.wordpress.com

                > > > This would not be good on a commercial site
                > however, where we
                > must
                > > > have to do with our client's ways. But why
                > not "Please try this
                > site
                > > > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or
                > Firefox, and see
                > the
                > > > difference"
                > > >

                > > Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last
                > time I've
                > seen
                > > a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE.
                > Right now I
                > only
                > > get a "your browser is not supported yet"
                > message without a link to
                > > help page or a list of supported browsers, but I
                > suppose it's still
                > IE
                > > only. Now they don't even tell users which browser
                > could be used to
                > > access the service. So what I'm saying is,
                > whatever you do, at least
                > > it can't be worse than that site.
                > >

                > It is even worse than that, many sites block specifically
                > Opera, for
                > a reason I don't know. And they don't tell the
                > user, just display an
                > error. Tis problem is well knownd from the Opera staff, I
                > found it on
                > ebay/paypal, Norton, and others. This is absurd, as these
                > sites just
                > lose customers, with no reason. Because of this there is in
                > Opera an
                > option "appear as MSIE" and poof the error
                > disappears magically...
                >
                > At least with my method the user is warned.
                >
                > and on my sites, I allow any browser, just detect the
                > browser to
                > correct its specific mistakes, and assume unknown browsers
                > don't do
                > mistakes.

              • richard.trigaux
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, veiko herne <veiko_h@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I dont know sites that block opera, however lot of sites like
                  www.ukmusic.com have javascript code that does not show up properly.

                  > Veiko
                  >
                  > http://veikoh.wordpress.com

                  They don't properly block Opera, but they send it unappropriate
                  code, or errors messages, so that the result is the same. I had the
                  problem in coming to paypal from an Ebay page. Not a good idea,
                  though, as opera users are warned, and they think it is the site
                  which is wrong, not the browser. Although on Norton payment form,
                  they say "your browser is not safe". But with IE I don't have this
                  message...