Re: displaying svg on IE after 12-31-08

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
      they simply do not have an interest in SVG at all - other than
      perhaps selling more authoring tools for SVG developers.

      The situation before or after 2008-12-31 is more or less the same.
      Before and after there was no support and further development.
      Development more or less stopped back in 2001. Before they maybe
      would have reacted to security related problems in ASV, after they do
      not care at all.

      People simply should forget about Adobe in terms of SVG support. With
      the buy of Macromedia, management within Adobe changed a lot and they
      see their future in binary only, proprietary formats. They don't
      believe in the open nature of the web.

      Andreas

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Fuliopen <fuliopen@...> wrote:

      > I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for
      SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is
      defective? Thanks.

      > fulio pen
      >

      > ________________________________

      US
      > and the rest of the world.
      >
      > Andreas
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@ yahoogroups. com, Fuliopen <fuliopen@ .>
      wrote:

      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > Majority of visitors to my web site are still using the IE
      browser.
      > I ask them to download the ASV to their computers. I like to know
      > that after 2008, is the ASV still available for downloading? If
      not,
      > what other technologies I can switch to? Thanks for information in
      > this regard.
      > >
      > > fulio pen

    • richard.trigaux
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Fuliopen <fuliopen@...> wrote:

        > I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for
        SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is
        defective? Thanks.

        > fulio pen

        Since they bought macromedia, the creator and owner of flash, they
        don't have any interest in supporting the SVG. If flash is replaced
        by SVG, they lose a lucrative market of expensive flash authoring
        tools. Seems that they do not have the idea od selling SVG authoring
        tools...
      • Frank Bruder
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "richard.trigaux"
          <trigaux.richard@...> wrote:

          > This would not be good on a commercial site however, where we must
          > have to do with our client's ways. But why not "Please try this site
          > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or Firefox, and see the
          > difference"

          Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last time I've seen
          a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE. Right now I only
          get a "your browser is not supported yet" message without a link to a
          help page or a list of supported browsers, but I suppose it's still IE
          only. Now they don't even tell users which browser could be used to
          access the service. So what I'm saying is, whatever you do, at least
          it can't be worse than that site.
        • Fuliopen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
            I went to the following web page:

            http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/

            It seems that ASV is no longer available for download. But if one has already installed ASV to his computer, he is still able to view SVG. I like to make 100% sure on whether or not the ASV is still available for downloading. If not, I need to urge my visitors to switch to Firefox or Opera. The SVG files in my web site are important in presenting ideas.

            Thanks for your help.
            fulio pen

            ________________________________
            > I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for
            SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is
            defective? Thanks.

            > fulio pen

            Since they bought macromedia, the creator and owner of flash, they
            don't have any interest in supporting the SVG. If flash is replaced
            by SVG, they lose a lucrative market of expensive flash authoring
            tools. Seems that they do not have the idea od selling SVG authoring
            tools...

          • Guy Morton
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
              You didn't look very hard. Try scrolling to the middle of the page...

              On 03/01/2009, at 9:58 AM, Fuliopen wrote:

              > I went to the following web page:
              >
              > http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/
              >
              > It seems that ASV is no longer available for download. But if one
              > has already installed ASV to his computer, he is still able to view
              > SVG. I like to make 100% sure on whether or not the ASV is still
              > available for downloading. If not, I need to urge my visitors to
              > switch to Firefox or Opera. The SVG files in my web site are
              > important in presenting ideas.
              >

              > Thanks for your help.
              > fulio pen
              >

              > ________________________________

            • richard.trigaux
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bruder" <redurbf@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "richard.trigaux"
                > <trigaux.richard@> wrote:
                > >

                > > This would not be good on a commercial site however, where we
                must
                > > have to do with our client's ways. But why not "Please try this
                site
                > > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or Firefox, and see
                the
                > > difference"
                > >

                > Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last time I've
                seen
                > a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE. Right now I
                only
                > get a "your browser is not supported yet" message without a link to
                > help page or a list of supported browsers, but I suppose it's still
                IE
                > only. Now they don't even tell users which browser could be used to
                > access the service. So what I'm saying is, whatever you do, at least
                > it can't be worse than that site.

                It is even worse than that, many sites block specifically Opera, for
                a reason I don't know. And they don't tell the user, just display an
                error. Tis problem is well knownd from the Opera staff, I found it on
                ebay/paypal, Norton, and others. This is absurd, as these sites just
                lose customers, with no reason. Because of this there is in Opera an
                option "appear as MSIE" and poof the error disappears magically...

                At least with my method the user is warned.

                and on my sites, I allow any browser, just detect the browser to
                correct its specific mistakes, and assume unknown browsers don't do
                mistakes.
              • veiko herne
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                  I dont know sites that block opera, however lot of sites like www.ukmusic.com have javascript code that does not show up properly.

                  Veiko

                  http://veikoh.wordpress.com

                  > > > This would not be good on a commercial site
                  > however, where we
                  > must
                  > > > have to do with our client's ways. But why
                  > not "Please try this
                  > site
                  > > > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or
                  > Firefox, and see
                  > the
                  > > > difference"
                  > > >

                  > > Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last
                  > time I've
                  > seen
                  > > a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE.
                  > Right now I
                  > only
                  > > get a "your browser is not supported yet"
                  > message without a link to
                  > > help page or a list of supported browsers, but I
                  > suppose it's still
                  > IE
                  > > only. Now they don't even tell users which browser
                  > could be used to
                  > > access the service. So what I'm saying is,
                  > whatever you do, at least
                  > > it can't be worse than that site.
                  > >

                  > It is even worse than that, many sites block specifically
                  > Opera, for
                  > a reason I don't know. And they don't tell the
                  > user, just display an
                  > error. Tis problem is well knownd from the Opera staff, I
                  > found it on
                  > ebay/paypal, Norton, and others. This is absurd, as these
                  > sites just
                  > lose customers, with no reason. Because of this there is in
                  > Opera an
                  > option "appear as MSIE" and poof the error
                  > disappears magically...
                  >
                  > At least with my method the user is warned.
                  >
                  > and on my sites, I allow any browser, just detect the
                  > browser to
                  > correct its specific mistakes, and assume unknown browsers
                  > don't do
                  > mistakes.

                • richard.trigaux
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, veiko herne <veiko_h@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I dont know sites that block opera, however lot of sites like
                    www.ukmusic.com have javascript code that does not show up properly.

                    > Veiko
                    >
                    > http://veikoh.wordpress.com

                    They don't properly block Opera, but they send it unappropriate
                    code, or errors messages, so that the result is the same. I had the
                    problem in coming to paypal from an Ebay page. Not a good idea,
                    though, as opera users are warned, and they think it is the site
                    which is wrong, not the browser. Although on Norton payment form,
                    they say "your browser is not safe". But with IE I don't have this
                    message...