Re: displaying svg on IE after 12-31-08

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
      luckily, IE is rapidly loosing marketshare:

      worlwide: 68% - http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-
      share.aspx?qprid=1
      in Europe: much lower:
      http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=1229975289416 (a well-known austrian
      newspaper - IE is below 50%)
      http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Marktanteil-von-Firefox-kratzt-an-
      der-20-Prozent-Marke--/zoom/109877/0 - a well-known computer
      magazine: IE is below 25%

      In general the IE marketshare in Europe is much lower than in the US
      and the rest of the world.

      Andreas

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Fuliopen <fuliopen@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Majority of visitors to my web site are still using the IE browser.
      I ask them to download the ASV to their computers. I like to know
      that after 2008, is the ASV still available for downloading? If not,
      what other technologies I can switch to? Thanks for information in
      this regard.

      > fulio pen

    • Fuliopen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
        I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is defective? Thanks.

        fulio pen

        ________________________________
        luckily, IE is rapidly loosing marketshare:

        worlwide: 68% - http://marketshare. hitslink. com/browser- market-
        share.aspx?qprid= 1
        in Europe: much lower:
        http://derstandard. at/?url=/ ?id=122997528941 6 (a well-known austrian
        newspaper - IE is below 50%)
        http://www.heise. de/newsticker/ Marktanteil- von-Firefox- kratzt-an-
        der-20-Prozent- Marke--/zoom/ 109877/0 - a well-known computer
        magazine: IE is below 25%

        In general the IE marketshare in Europe is much lower than in the US
        and the rest of the world.

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@ yahoogroups. com, Fuliopen <fuliopen@.. .> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Majority of visitors to my web site are still using the IE browser.
        I ask them to download the ASV to their computers. I like to know
        that after 2008, is the ASV still available for downloading? If not,
        what other technologies I can switch to? Thanks for information in
        this regard.

        > fulio pen

      • Andreas Neumann
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
          they simply do not have an interest in SVG at all - other than
          perhaps selling more authoring tools for SVG developers.

          The situation before or after 2008-12-31 is more or less the same.
          Before and after there was no support and further development.
          Development more or less stopped back in 2001. Before they maybe
          would have reacted to security related problems in ASV, after they do
          not care at all.

          People simply should forget about Adobe in terms of SVG support. With
          the buy of Macromedia, management within Adobe changed a lot and they
          see their future in binary only, proprietary formats. They don't
          believe in the open nature of the web.

          Andreas

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Fuliopen <fuliopen@...> wrote:

          > I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for
          SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is
          defective? Thanks.

          > fulio pen
          >

          > ________________________________

        • richard.trigaux
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Fuliopen <fuliopen@...> wrote:

            > I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for
            SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is
            defective? Thanks.

            > fulio pen

            Since they bought macromedia, the creator and owner of flash, they
            don't have any interest in supporting the SVG. If flash is replaced
            by SVG, they lose a lucrative market of expensive flash authoring
            tools. Seems that they do not have the idea od selling SVG authoring
            tools...
          • Frank Bruder
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "richard.trigaux"
              <trigaux.richard@...> wrote:

              > This would not be good on a commercial site however, where we must
              > have to do with our client's ways. But why not "Please try this site
              > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or Firefox, and see the
              > difference"

              Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last time I've seen
              a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE. Right now I only
              get a "your browser is not supported yet" message without a link to a
              help page or a list of supported browsers, but I suppose it's still IE
              only. Now they don't even tell users which browser could be used to
              access the service. So what I'm saying is, whatever you do, at least
              it can't be worse than that site.
            • Fuliopen
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                I went to the following web page:

                http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/

                It seems that ASV is no longer available for download. But if one has already installed ASV to his computer, he is still able to view SVG. I like to make 100% sure on whether or not the ASV is still available for downloading. If not, I need to urge my visitors to switch to Firefox or Opera. The SVG files in my web site are important in presenting ideas.

                Thanks for your help.
                fulio pen

                ________________________________
                > I still have a question. Why does Adobe discontinue its support for
                SVG? Is maintenance of the plug-in too expensive, or SVG is
                defective? Thanks.

                > fulio pen

                Since they bought macromedia, the creator and owner of flash, they
                don't have any interest in supporting the SVG. If flash is replaced
                by SVG, they lose a lucrative market of expensive flash authoring
                tools. Seems that they do not have the idea od selling SVG authoring
                tools...

              • Guy Morton
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                  You didn't look very hard. Try scrolling to the middle of the page...

                  On 03/01/2009, at 9:58 AM, Fuliopen wrote:

                  > I went to the following web page:
                  >
                  > http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/
                  >
                  > It seems that ASV is no longer available for download. But if one
                  > has already installed ASV to his computer, he is still able to view
                  > SVG. I like to make 100% sure on whether or not the ASV is still
                  > available for downloading. If not, I need to urge my visitors to
                  > switch to Firefox or Opera. The SVG files in my web site are
                  > important in presenting ideas.
                  >

                  > Thanks for your help.
                  > fulio pen
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • richard.trigaux
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bruder" <redurbf@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "richard.trigaux"
                    > <trigaux.richard@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > This would not be good on a commercial site however, where we
                    must
                    > > have to do with our client's ways. But why not "Please try this
                    site
                    > > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or Firefox, and see
                    the
                    > > difference"
                    > >

                    > Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last time I've
                    seen
                    > a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE. Right now I
                    only
                    > get a "your browser is not supported yet" message without a link to
                    > help page or a list of supported browsers, but I suppose it's still
                    IE
                    > only. Now they don't even tell users which browser could be used to
                    > access the service. So what I'm saying is, whatever you do, at least
                    > it can't be worse than that site.

                    It is even worse than that, many sites block specifically Opera, for
                    a reason I don't know. And they don't tell the user, just display an
                    error. Tis problem is well knownd from the Opera staff, I found it on
                    ebay/paypal, Norton, and others. This is absurd, as these sites just
                    lose customers, with no reason. Because of this there is in Opera an
                    option "appear as MSIE" and poof the error disappears magically...

                    At least with my method the user is warned.

                    and on my sites, I allow any browser, just detect the browser to
                    correct its specific mistakes, and assume unknown browsers don't do
                    mistakes.
                  • veiko herne
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                      I dont know sites that block opera, however lot of sites like www.ukmusic.com have javascript code that does not show up properly.

                      Veiko

                      http://veikoh.wordpress.com

                      > > > This would not be good on a commercial site
                      > however, where we
                      > must
                      > > > have to do with our client's ways. But why
                      > not "Please try this
                      > site
                      > > > with a standard compliant browser like Opera or
                      > Firefox, and see
                      > the
                      > > > difference"
                      > > >

                      > > Is that so? Check out Yahoo Music internet radio. Last
                      > time I've
                      > seen
                      > > a list of supported browsers it only worked in MSIE.
                      > Right now I
                      > only
                      > > get a "your browser is not supported yet"
                      > message without a link to
                      > > help page or a list of supported browsers, but I
                      > suppose it's still
                      > IE
                      > > only. Now they don't even tell users which browser
                      > could be used to
                      > > access the service. So what I'm saying is,
                      > whatever you do, at least
                      > > it can't be worse than that site.
                      > >

                      > It is even worse than that, many sites block specifically
                      > Opera, for
                      > a reason I don't know. And they don't tell the
                      > user, just display an
                      > error. Tis problem is well knownd from the Opera staff, I
                      > found it on
                      > ebay/paypal, Norton, and others. This is absurd, as these
                      > sites just
                      > lose customers, with no reason. Because of this there is in
                      > Opera an
                      > option "appear as MSIE" and poof the error
                      > disappears magically...
                      >
                      > At least with my method the user is warned.
                      >
                      > and on my sites, I allow any browser, just detect the
                      > browser to
                      > correct its specific mistakes, and assume unknown browsers
                      > don't do
                      > mistakes.

                    • richard.trigaux
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, veiko herne <veiko_h@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I dont know sites that block opera, however lot of sites like
                        www.ukmusic.com have javascript code that does not show up properly.

                        > Veiko
                        >
                        > http://veikoh.wordpress.com

                        They don't properly block Opera, but they send it unappropriate
                        code, or errors messages, so that the result is the same. I had the
                        problem in coming to paypal from an Ebay page. Not a good idea,
                        though, as opera users are warned, and they think it is the site
                        which is wrong, not the browser. Although on Norton payment form,
                        they say "your browser is not safe". But with IE I don't have this
                        message...