Safari 3.2.1 with ASV 3.0 won't View Source

  • Kenneth Nellis
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 13, 2008
      Since I've updated to Safari 3.2.1 (Macintosh), I can no longer see SVG source through the
      context-sensitive menu option "View Source". I'm using the ASV 3.0 plugin. The menu option
      is there, but is no longer functional. Wondering if anyone else has this problem.

      As a workaround, I can select "Copy SVG", and then paste the results into a text editor.

      —Ken Nellis
    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 15, 2008
        hm - why do you want to use ASV with Safari? Safari (Webkit) can do
        SVG natively.

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Nellis"
        <nellisks@...> wrote:

        > Since I've updated to Safari 3.2.1 (Macintosh), I can no longer see
        SVG source through the
        > context-sensitive menu option "View Source". I'm using the ASV 3.0
        plugin. The menu option
        > is there, but is no longer functional. Wondering if anyone else has
        this problem.

        > As a workaround, I can select "Copy SVG", and then paste the
        results into a text editor.

        > —Ken Nellis

      • Kenneth Nellis
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 16, 2008
          In my experiment, I removed ASV and then relaunched Safari to see
          what worked. SMIL didn't. I reinstalled ASV and SMIL worked again.
          So, I conclude that Safari doesn't do SMIL. Or is something else
          going on

          �Ken Nellis

          On Dec 16, 2008, at 1:09 PM, svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > hm - why do you want to use ASV with Safari? Safari (Webkit) can do
          > SVG natively.
          >
          > Andreas
          >
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Nellis"
          > <nellisks@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Since I've updated to Safari 3.2.1 (Macintosh), I can no longer
          > see SVG source through the
          > > context-sensitive menu option "View Source". I'm using the ASV
          > 3.0 plugin. The menu option
          > > is there, but is no longer functional. Wondering if anyone else
          > has this problem.
          > >
          > > As a workaround, I can select "Copy SVG", and then paste the
          > results into a text editor.
          > >
          > > �Ken Nellis

        • ddailey
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 16, 2008
            Kenneth Nellis wrote:

            >In my experiment, I removed ASV and then relaunched Safari to see
            >what worked. SMIL didn't. I reinstalled ASV and SMIL worked again.
            >So, I conclude that Safari doesn't do SMIL. Or is something else
            >going on

            That is true. Safari does not yet support SMIL. It seems to be on its way
            fairly soon though.

            Both Google Chrome and Safari are based, at least in part, on WebKit.
            WebKit's nightly builds, we are told, now support SMIL, though I'm not sure
            how fully.

            David
          • Andreas Neumann
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 17, 2008
              Hi Ken,

              It is true that the regular Safari release doesn't do SMIL yet.

              However, the Webkit nightlies (the base of future Safari versions)
              already does SMIL. It is not yet fully complete and tested (this is
              what the nightlies are for) but it is pretty good already.

              I invite you to download a webkit nightly from http://
              nightly.webkit.org/ and test it to see if your SMIL examples work.
              You can report bugs if it doesn't. You can easily install Webkit in
              parallel with other webkits or Safari versions so you don't loose
              your official Safari release.

              Hope this helps,

              wrote:

              > In my experiment, I removed ASV and then relaunched Safari to see
              > what worked. SMIL didn't. I reinstalled ASV and SMIL worked again.
              > So, I conclude that Safari doesn't do SMIL. Or is something else
              > going on
              >
              > —Ken Nellis
              >
              > On Dec 16, 2008, at 1:09 PM, svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              >
              > > hm - why do you want to use ASV with Safari? Safari (Webkit) can
              do
              > > SVG natively.
              > >
              > > Andreas
              > >
              > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Nellis"
              > > <nellisks@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Since I've updated to Safari 3.2.1 (Macintosh), I can no
              longer
              > > see SVG source through the
              > > > context-sensitive menu option "View Source". I'm using the ASV
              > > 3.0 plugin. The menu option
              > > > is there, but is no longer functional. Wondering if anyone
              else
              > > has this problem.
              > > >
              > > > As a workaround, I can select "Copy SVG", and then paste the
              > > results into a text editor.
              > > >
              > > > —Ken Nellis

            • Kenneth Nellis
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 18, 2008
                Thanx, Andreas. I did download and play with the latest nightly
                WebKit build. My few SMIL things worked fine and so does View Source!
                Compared with ASV3, certain other things work better and certain
                other things work worse. I seem to have a text problem, that may be
                my own problem, but it works fine with ASV3 and Firefox3, so I had
                assumed I had coded it correctly.
                �Ken

                On Dec 18, 2008, at 11:48 AM, svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > Re: Safari 3.2.1 with ASV 3.0 won't View Source
                > Posted by: "Andreas Neumann" a.neumann@... neumannandreas
                > Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm (PST)
                >
                > Hi Ken,
                >
                > It is true that the regular Safari release doesn't do SMIL yet.
                >
                > However, the Webkit nightlies (the base of future Safari versions)
                > already does SMIL. It is not yet fully complete and tested (this is
                > what the nightlies are for) but it is pretty good already.
                >
                > I invite you to download a webkit nightly from http://
                > nightly.webkit.org/ and test it to see if your SMIL examples work.
                > You can report bugs if it doesn't. You can easily install Webkit in
                > parallel with other webkits or Safari versions so you don't loose
                > your official Safari release.
                >
                > Hope this helps,
                > Andreas

              • Andreas Neumann
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 18, 2008
                  yes, it is also my impression that some things are better and some
                  are worse. But Webkit is under active development while ASV is dead.
                  Also, all in all, performance in Webkit and browser integration is
                  good.

                  I agree that there are still some bugs.

                  I encourage you to report the bugs at https://bugs.webkit.org/

                  Webkit is also important since it is also used in Google Chrome,
                  iPhone, Konqueror, Adobe Air (I think they deactivated SVG on
                  purpose) and other browsers/devices.

                  Thanks,

                  wrote:

                  > Thanx, Andreas. I did download and play with the latest nightly
                  > WebKit build. My few SMIL things worked fine and so does View
                  Source!
                  > Compared with ASV3, certain other things work better and certain
                  > other things work worse. I seem to have a text problem, that may
                  be
                  > my own problem, but it works fine with ASV3 and Firefox3, so I had
                  > assumed I had coded it correctly.
                  > —Ken
                  >
                  > On Dec 18, 2008, at 11:48 AM, svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  >
                  > > Re: Safari 3.2.1 with ASV 3.0 won't View Source
                  > > Posted by: "Andreas Neumann" a.neumann@... neumannandreas
                  > > Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm (PST)
                  > >
                  > > Hi Ken,
                  > >
                  > > It is true that the regular Safari release doesn't do SMIL yet.
                  > >
                  > > However, the Webkit nightlies (the base of future Safari
                  versions)
                  > > already does SMIL. It is not yet fully complete and tested (this
                  is
                  > > what the nightlies are for) but it is pretty good already.
                  > >
                  > > I invite you to download a webkit nightly from http://
                  > > nightly.webkit.org/ and test it to see if your SMIL examples
                  work.
                  > > You can report bugs if it doesn't. You can easily install Webkit
                  in
                  > > parallel with other webkits or Safari versions so you don't
                  loose
                  > > your official Safari release.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps,
                  > > Andreas

                • veiko herne
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                    You forgot Nokia S60 handsets which are the biggest group of devices sold at the moment.

                    http://veikoh.wordpress.com

                    > yes, it is also my impression that some things are better
                    > and some
                    > are worse. But Webkit is under active development while ASV
                    > is dead.
                    > Also, all in all, performance in Webkit and browser
                    > integration is
                    > good.
                    >
                    > I agree that there are still some bugs.
                    >
                    > I encourage you to report the bugs at
                    > https://bugs.webkit.org/
                    >
                    > Webkit is also important since it is also used in Google
                    > Chrome,
                    > iPhone, Konqueror, Adobe Air (I think they deactivated SVG
                    > on
                    > purpose) and other browsers/devices.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Andreas
                    >
                    > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Nellis
                    > <nellisks@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanx, Andreas. I did download and play with the
                    > latest nightly
                    > > WebKit build. My few SMIL things worked fine and so
                    > does View
                    > Source!
                    > > Compared with ASV3, certain other things work better
                    > and certain
                    > > other things work worse. I seem to have a text
                    > problem, that may
                    > be
                    > > my own problem, but it works fine with ASV3 and
                    > Firefox3, so I had
                    > > assumed I had coded it correctly.
                    > > —Ken
                    > >
                    > > On Dec 18, 2008, at 11:48 AM,
                    > svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Re: Safari 3.2.1 with ASV 3.0 won't View
                    > Source
                    > > > Posted by: "Andreas Neumann"
                    > a.neumann@... neumannandreas
                    > > > Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm (PST)
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi Ken,
                    > > >
                    > > > It is true that the regular Safari release
                    > doesn't do SMIL yet.
                    > > >
                    > > > However, the Webkit nightlies (the base of future
                    > Safari
                    > versions)
                    > > > already does SMIL. It is not yet fully complete
                    > and tested (this
                    > is
                    > > > what the nightlies are for) but it is pretty good
                    > already.
                    > > >
                    > > > I invite you to download a webkit nightly from
                    > http://
                    > > > nightly.webkit.org/ and test it to see if your
                    > SMIL examples
                    > work.
                    > > > You can report bugs if it doesn't. You can
                    > easily install Webkit
                    > in
                    > > > parallel with other webkits or Safari versions so
                    > you don't
                    > loose
                    > > > your official Safari release.
                    > > >
                    > > > Hope this helps,
                    > > > Andreas

                  • Kenneth Nellis
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 19, 2008
                      I wonder if a 2nd pair of eyes might see a problem with my SVG code
                      in this page:

                      http://mysite.verizon.net/nellisks/svg/kakuro/wp.07-10-28.svg

                      Safari 3.2.1 with ASV3 and Firefox 3.0.4 and Camino 1.6.5 render the
                      Kakuro puzzle as desired, but Safari w/out ASV3 renders impossibly
                      large text, just as did Opera 9.25. The current version of Opera
                      (9.62) renders no text at all, unless its positioned outside the
                      window. (This is the one "worse" thing that I've identified so far
                      about Safari's SVG rendering over ASV's.)

                      �Ken Nellis

                      On Dec 19, 2008, at 1:06 PM, svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      > Re: Safari 3.2.1 with ASV 3.0 won't View Source
                      > Posted by: "Andreas Neumann" a.neumann@... neumannandreas
                      > Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:15 pm (PST)
                      >
                      > yes, it is also my impression that some things are better and some
                      > are worse. But Webkit is under active development while ASV is
                      > dead. Also, all in all, performance in Webkit and browser
                      > integration is good.
                      >
                      > I agree that there are still some bugs.
                      >
                      > I encourage you to report the bugs at https://bugs.webkit.org/
                      >
                      > Webkit is also important since it is also used in Google Chrome,
                      > iPhone, Konqueror, Adobe Air (I think they deactivated SVG on
                      > purpose) and other browsers/devices.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Andreas

                    • owlgems
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 22, 2008
                        wrote:

                        > I wonder if a 2nd pair of eyes might see a problem with my SVG
                        code
                        > in this page:
                        >
                        > http://mysite.verizon.net/nellisks/svg/kakuro/wp.07-10-28.svg
                        >
                        > Safari 3.2.1 with ASV3 and Firefox 3.0.4 and Camino 1.6.5 render
                        the
                        > Kakuro puzzle as desired, but Safari w/out ASV3 renders
                        impossibly
                        > large text, just as did Opera 9.25. The current version of Opera
                        > (9.62) renders no text at all, unless its positioned outside the
                        > window. (This is the one "worse" thing that I've identified so
                        far
                        > about Safari's SVG rendering over ASV's.)
                        >
                        > —Ken Nellis
                        >

                        > On Dec 19, 2008, at 1:06 PM, svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                        >
                        > > Re: Safari 3.2.1 with ASV 3.0 won't View Source
                        > > Posted by: "Andreas Neumann" a.neumann@... neumannandreas
                        > > Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:15 pm (PST)
                        > >
                        > > yes, it is also my impression that some things are better and
                        some
                        > > are worse. But Webkit is under active development while ASV is
                        > > dead. Also, all in all, performance in Webkit and browser
                        > > integration is good.
                        > >
                        > > I agree that there are still some bugs.
                        > >
                        > > I encourage you to report the bugs at https://bugs.webkit.org/
                        > >
                        > > Webkit is also important since it is also used in Google
                        Chrome,
                        > > iPhone, Konqueror, Adobe Air (I think they deactivated SVG on
                        > > purpose) and other browsers/devices.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Andreas

                        from my experience the Webkits have a problem rendering
                        sizes which are less then 1 - font-size, image with/height etc.
                        It doesn't matter for them what the final size on the page
                        is, what counts for that problem is the initial declaration.

                        I wrote a small script to do the dirty work for you if you just
                        replace the relevant part of your code with the following code,
                        also note I ad px to the font size or else in most browsers
                        you'll end up with the default font size of the browser.

                        <!-- Created Sun Dec 21 13:21:04 2008 by make_kakuro_svg -->
                        <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
                        xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
                        version="1.1" viewBox="-50 -50 1100 1100"
                        onload="scaleAllNums()">
                        <script>//<![CDATA[
                        function numnum(it) { return /\d/.test(String(it))
                        &&it*1==it };
                        function scaleAllNums(){
                        var all = document.getElementsByTagName
                        ('*');
                        for(var i=0, allL=all.length; i<allL; i++){
                        var atts = all.item(i).attributes
                        for(var j=0, attsL=atts.length;
                        j<attsL; j++){
                        var att = atts.item(j)
                        if(numnum(att.value))all.item
                        (i).setAttributeNS(null, att.name, att.value*100)
                        //]]></script>
                        <title>Kakuro Puzzle</title>
                        <defs>
                        text {font-size: 27px; fill: white}
                      • Frank Bruder
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 23, 2008
                          wrote:

                          > I wonder if a 2nd pair of eyes might see a problem with my SVG
                          code
                          > in this page:
                          >
                          > http://mysite.verizon.net/nellisks/svg/kakuro/wp.07-10-28.svg
                          >
                          > Safari 3.2.1 with ASV3 and Firefox 3.0.4 and Camino 1.6.5 render
                          the
                          > Kakuro puzzle as desired, but Safari w/out ASV3 renders impossibly
                          > large text, just as did Opera 9.25. The current version of Opera
                          > (9.62) renders no text at all, unless its positioned outside the
                          > window. (This is the one "worse" thing that I've identified so far
                          > about Safari's SVG rendering over ASV's.)
                          >
                          > —Ken Nellis

                          I've tested it in Squiggle, Apache Batik 1.7, and that looked okay
                          too. There seems nothing to be wrong with your code.

                          I was able to make it work in Opera 9.62 by removing the <style>
                          element and adding
                          font-size="0.275px" fill="white"
                          to the containing <g> element instead. This also is a shorter
                          notation.

                          Interestingly, when instead of using the font-size attribue I declare
                          the font size in the style attribute of the <g> element, it does not
                          work. So the problem occurs when CSS is used to set the font size,
                          but not with the presentation attribute. I don't see any reason why
                          both notations should not be equivalent in this case. This seems to
                          be a bug in Opera.

                          I've encountered the similar problem that setting the font family in
                          a CSS stylesheet didn't work in Opera, whereas using the presentation
                          attribute worked.

                          Now I'm curious if removing the CSS and using presentation attributes
                          would also make it work in Safari. When CSS is applied to SGML or XML
                          text it makes sense to let the user set a minimum font size, which
                          overwrites author stylesheets, and in a flow layout this would do no
                          harm. Maybe this, in combination with the identification of CSS
                          pixels with current user coordinate units is at the root of Safari's
                          problem. If that's the case, then it might be avoided by using
                          presentation attributes, assuming these are not internally translated
                          to CSS and handled by the CSS engine.

                          Regards
                          Frank
                        • Kenneth Nellis
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 24, 2008
                            Thanx to Andreas and Frank for their helpful responses and apologies
                            for my second post appealing for help on the same subject.

                            Frank, I followed up on your idea that applying font-size directly as
                            <text> element attributes rather than in style attributes. This
                            worked to a point: I could control the text size in Safari down to
                            0.3pt (if I recall correctly), but this was still too big, but if I
                            made the size any smaller, Safari would ignore my specification and
                            generate the huge text.

                            Andreas, your JavaScript solution is creative—and works in all
                            browsers I tested, even Mac/IE 5.2.3—but I think it points out that
                            the real solution is for the program that generates these SVG files
                            to specify the coordinates on a higher-resolution grid so that I can
                            specify font-size in a higher unit count. Do you think this is worthy
                            of a Webkit Bugzilla report?

                            —Ken
                          • Erik Dahlström
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 5, 2009
                              On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:49:18 +0100, Frank Bruder <redurbf@...> wrote:

                              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Nellis <nellisks@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >>
                              >> I wonder if a 2nd pair of eyes might see a problem with my SVG
                              > code
                              >> in this page:
                              >>
                              >> http://mysite.verizon.net/nellisks/svg/kakuro/wp.07-10-28.svg
                              >>
                              >> Safari 3.2.1 with ASV3 and Firefox 3.0.4 and Camino 1.6.5 render
                              > the
                              >> Kakuro puzzle as desired, but Safari w/out ASV3 renders impossibly
                              >> large text, just as did Opera 9.25. The current version of Opera
                              >> (9.62) renders no text at all, unless its positioned outside the
                              >> window. (This is the one "worse" thing that I've identified so far
                              >> about Safari's SVG rendering over ASV's.)
                              >>
                              >> —Ken Nellis
                              >>

                              > I've tested it in Squiggle, Apache Batik 1.7, and that looked okay
                              > too. There seems nothing to be wrong with your code.
                              >
                              > I was able to make it work in Opera 9.62 by removing the <style>
                              > element and adding
                              > font-size="0.275px" fill="white"
                              > to the containing <g> element instead. This also is a shorter
                              > notation.

                              Using very small fontsizes (<1px) is usually troublesome in my experience, in most viewers. I've seen similar problems with <pattern> when the width or height is small.

                              > I've encountered the similar problem that setting the font family in
                              > a CSS stylesheet didn't work in Opera, whereas using the presentation
                              > attribute worked.

                              If you have a testcase showing that please file a bug here: http://bugs.opera.com/wizard.

                              Cheers
                              /Erik

                              Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
                            • Kenneth N
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                                To close the loop on this, back in December 2008 I did write a Webkit Bugzilla report and just today I got the word that they fixed the bug, 25 months later!
                                https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14242
                                I haven't downloaded the lastest nightly build yet, so haven't confirmed it.
                                —Ken Nellis