Converting JPG files to SVG

  • Judy Perry
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
      I use Inkscape a lot. I've been converting some of my jpg files into
      svg files (opening the jpg file and save as a svg), but with over 1000
      files to convert, it is going to take me quite some time.

      What I am looking for is a script that I can run that will convert all
      the jpg files in a given directory to svg files. I have numerous
      directories of jpg files, so being able to convert them one directory
      at a time would work.

      I have tried to create this script, but my coding skills are very
      rusty, so I am asking for assistance,

      Thanks in advance,

      Judy
      judylp@...
    • Judy Perry

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
          Just curious...but why are you doing that?

          On 09/12/2008, at 3:13 PM, Judy Perry wrote:

          > I use Inkscape a lot. I've been converting some of my jpg files into
          > svg files (opening the jpg file and save as a svg), but with over 1000
          > files to convert, it is going to take me quite some time.
          >
          > What I am looking for is a script that I can run that will convert all
          > the jpg files in a given directory to svg files. I have numerous
          > directories of jpg files, so being able to convert them one directory
          > at a time would work.
          >
          > I have tried to create this script, but my coding skills are very
          > rusty, so I am asking for assistance,
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Judy
          > judylp@...

        • Dailey, David P.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
            This is something I finished up while giving a final today.

            http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/tilesA.svg

            The JavaScript animation runs okay in FF, Chrome, and Safari, but the
            SMIL animation, viewable in Opera or IE/ASV, really helps it out. Watch
            it for a while, since it changes from time to time.

            I briefly demonstrated an earlier version at SVG Open as an example of
            stitching together pieces of linear gradient into non-linear chunks. The
            concept is illustrated more simply here:

            http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2008/nonagon.png

          • Judy Perry
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
              I create files for Desktop Cutting machines (Wishblade, Pazzles, Craft Robo,
              etc) and I am adding on files useable with the Cricut machine. But it uses
              svg files - hence the need to convert from jpg (or wmf) to svg.

              Judy

              * * * * * * * * *

              Judy Perry from Tracy, CA

              Website: http://www.littlebit.com/rubber1.htm

              Free Cutter Files: http://tinyurl.com/5wdyo2

              Just curious...but why are you doing that?

              On 09/12/2008, at 3:13 PM, Judy Perry wrote:

              > I use Inkscape a lot. I've been converting some of my jpg files into
              > svg files (opening the jpg file and save as a svg), but with over 1000
              > files to convert, it is going to take me quite some time.
              >
              > What I am looking for is a script that I can run that will convert all
              > the jpg files in a given directory to svg files. I have numerous
              > directories of jpg files, so being able to convert them one directory
              > at a time would work.
              >
              > I have tried to create this script, but my coding skills are very
              > rusty, so I am asking for assistance,
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Judy
              > judylp@...

            • steltenpower
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                I guess you already got your answer at
                http://kaioa.com/node/42#comment-265

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Perry" <judylp@...> wrote:

                > I create files for Desktop Cutting machines (Wishblade, Pazzles,
                Craft Robo,
                > etc) and I am adding on files useable with the Cricut machine. But
                it uses
                > svg files - hence the need to convert from jpg (or wmf) to svg.
                >

                > Judy
                >

                > * * * * * * * * *
                >
                > Judy Perry from Tracy, CA
                >
                > Website: http://www.littlebit.com/rubber1.htm
                >
                > Free Cutter Files: http://tinyurl.com/5wdyo2

              • Judy Perry
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                  Yes I did, Thanks

                  Judy

                  * * * * * * * * *

                  Judy Perry from Tracy, CA

                  Website: http://www.littlebit.com/rubber1.htm

                  Free Cutter Files: http://tinyurl.com/5wdyo2

                  > I create files for Desktop Cutting machines (Wishblade, Pazzles,
                  Craft Robo,
                  > etc) and I am adding on files useable with the Cricut machine. But
                  it uses
                  > svg files - hence the need to convert from jpg (or wmf) to svg.
                  >

                  > Judy
                  >

                  > * * * * * * * * *
                  >
                  > Judy Perry from Tracy, CA
                  >
                  > Website: http://www.littlebit.com/rubber1.htm
                  >
                  > Free Cutter Files: http://tinyurl.com/5wdyo2

                • a_matseevsky
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 13, 2008
                    wrote:

                    > Yes I did, Thanks
                    >

                    > Judy
                    >

                    > * * * * * * * * *
                    >
                    > Judy Perry from Tracy, CA
                    >
                    > Website: http://www.littlebit.com/rubber1.htm
                    >
                    > Free Cutter Files: http://tinyurl.com/5wdyo2

                    It is not the first time when I'm trying to explain: there is no way
                    to create perfect raster to vector converter (conversion from JPG to
                    SVG is in fact this op) without advanced gradient fills support.
                    Linear, radial and meshes-based methods are too primitive. Visit
                    http://www.smartfills and download SVSViewer.zip. This prog
                    contents some image files. These files has been created with my
                    converter, what converts raster images to something like SVG files.
                    Actually, theses files with SVS extension content set of records,
                    what could be included into SVG too (this is why I name my vectors
                    SVS- something as close to SVG as possible). Currently I'm trying to
                    enhance conversion algorithm and structure of SVS files too: I see,
                    that there are some things, what could be done better. But, even
                    current state of advanced gradients fill shows enough clear, how
                    flexible and impressive SVG graphic could be.
                    P.S. If someone wants to play with my converter a little, let me know
                  • ddailey
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 16, 2008
                      Hi Andrew
                      a_matseevsky wrote:

                      >It is not the first time when I'm trying to explain: there is no way
                      to create perfect raster to vector converter (conversion from JPG to
                      SVG is in fact this op) without advanced gradient fills support.
                      Linear, radial and meshes-based methods are too primitive. Visit
                      http://www.smartfills and download SVSViewer.zip. This prog
                      contents some image files. These files has been created with my
                      converter, what converts raster images to something like SVG files.
                      Actually, theses files with SVS extension content set of records,
                      what could be included into SVG too (this is why I name my vectors
                      SVS- something as close to SVG as possible). Currently I'm trying to
                      enhance conversion algorithm and structure of SVS files too: I see,
                      that there are some things, what could be done better. But, even
                      current state of advanced gradients fill shows enough clear, how
                      flexible and impressive SVG graphic could be.
                      P.S. If someone wants to play with my converter a little, let me know

                      Yes, I wondered if you had seen the things about "diffusion curves" introduced at this year's SIGGraph.
                      http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2008/OBWBTS08/diffusion_curves.pdf . It was presented by some folks from INRIA, Grenoble U, U of Washington and Adobe. They seem to be talking about much the same thing as what you have been talking about and have similar observations about the limitations of more "primitive" gradients. It starts with a cubic bezier and then allows color gradients on either side, together with a set of blur control points that control the transitions between the two halves. They also have come up with a way of computing all this in a practical way, that looks very promising. A brief demo can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEVe7vU5WiU .

                      The work certainly reminded me of what you've been working with for some years now, though it may in fact be a quite distinct approach.

                      Regards

                    • a_matseevsky
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 17, 2008
                        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Andrew
                        > Yes, I wondered if you had seen the things about "diffusion
                        curves" introduced at this year's SIGGraph.

                        http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2008/OBWBTS08/diffusion_curves.pdf
                        . It was presented by some folks from INRIA, Grenoble U, U of
                        Washington and Adobe. They seem to be talking about much the same
                        thing as what you have been talking about and have similar
                        observations about the limitations of more "primitive" gradients. It
                        starts with a cubic bezier and then allows color gradients on either
                        side, together with a set of blur control points that control the
                        transitions between the two halves. They also have come up with a
                        way of computing all this in a practical way, that looks very
                        promising. A brief demo can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?
                        v=lEVe7vU5WiU .

                        > The work certainly reminded me of what you've been working with
                        for some years now, though it may in fact be a quite distinct
                        approach.

                        > Regards
                        > David

                        Thanks, I new about them. I was trying to make contact with all of
                        authors, listed in quoted article. One answerd me once:
                        >Hi Andrew,
                        >indeed, your work seems to be very similar to ours! Especially your
                        >vectorization results are very neat, and your color interpolation
                        >seems to be faster than our diffusion process.
                        >From our experience, users of gradient meshes are looking forward
                        >to play with more intuitive tools for the creation of smooth vector
                        >gradients.
                        >Thanks for showing us your results, let us know about your next
                        >projects,
                        >Regards
                        >Adrien (Bousseau)
                        It was the first and the last my contact with this group. No matter
                        what efficient solutions I offer, the real use will be only if at
                        last one vector file format will be expanded. Well, I'll inform this
                        group when the next version of my converter is complete to testing.
                        Currently I have some problems with preserving original colors
                        during resizing.
                        regards,