SVG is available on iPod Touch and iPhone

  • Luis Vielva
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
      Dear svg developers,

      I would like to call your attention to the new release
      of iPod touch (and iPhone) firmware made yesterday.
      I have installed it, and the included safari browser
      finally supports svg and, at least, javascript DOM
      animation.

      --
      Luis Vielva
      Profesor Titular de Universidad
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
        this sounds great - thank you for the note!

        Looking foward to see more cool SVG mobile apps.

        With Opera mobile and the iPhone there are now two good mobile
        browsers supporting SVG!

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Luis Vielva" <LuisVielva@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear svg developers,
        >
        > I would like to call your attention to the new release
        > of iPod touch (and iPhone) firmware made yesterday.
        > I have installed it and included the safari browser
        > finally supports svg and, at least, javascript dom
        > animation.
        >

        > --
        > Luis Vielva
        > Profesor Titular de Universidad
        > Grupo de Tratamiento Avanzado de Señal
        > Departamento de Ingeniería de Comunicaciones
        > ETSII y Telecomunicación
        > Universidad de Cantabria

      • ddailey
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
          As someone who just bought an i-phone (just to test out the development environment) but who has not yet been able to figure out how to begin developing or how to install new firmware, can you point me to a link or something that would tell me how to get started?

          I'm particularly interested in the new class of interface events like multi-point touch and 3D accelerometers and of ways to use those events in SVG.

          thanks for the good news!

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
            Hi David,

            I can just post the link for updating the firmware - this should be
            very easy:

            http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

            I don't know much about the other questions.

            Andreas

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

            > As someone who just bought an i-phone (just to test out the
            development environment) but who has not yet been able to figure out
            how to begin developing or how to install new firmware, can you point
            me to a link or something that would tell me how to get started?

            > I'm particularly interested in the new class of interface events
            like multi-point touch and 3D accelerometers and of ways to use those
            events in SVG.

            > thanks for the good news!
            > David

          • Guy Morton
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 11, 2008
              Hi Andreas

              I'm running 2.02 of the iPhone software and I don't see SVG files
              being displayed yet. Do you have a link to one that you know works?

              Guy

              On 11/09/2008, at 4:17 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

              > Hi David,
              >
              > I can just post the link for updating the firmware - this should be
              > very easy:
              >
              > http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
              >
              > I don't know much about the other questions.
              >
              > Andreas
              >

              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> As someone who just bought an i-phone (just to test out the
              > development environment) but who has not yet been able to figure out
              > how to begin developing or how to install new firmware, can you point
              > me to a link or something that would tell me how to get started?
              >>
              >> I'm particularly interested in the new class of interface events
              > like multi-point touch and 3D accelerometers and of ways to use those
              > events in SVG.
              >>
              >> thanks for the good news!
              >> David

            • Luis Vielva
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 11, 2008
                It works on version 2.1 (5f137),

                El 12/09/2008, a las 1:07, Guy Morton <guy@...> escribió:

                > Hi Andreas
                >
                > I'm running 2.02 of the iPhone software and I don't see SVG files
                > being displayed yet. Do you have a link to one that you know works?
                >
                > Guy
                >
                > On 11/09/2008, at 4:17 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:
                >
                > > Hi David,
                > >
                > > I can just post the link for updating the firmware - this should be
                > > very easy:
                > >
                > > http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
                > >
                > > I don't know much about the other questions.
                > >
                > > Andreas
                > >

                > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...>
                > wrote:
                > >>
                > >> As someone who just bought an i-phone (just to test out the
                > > development environment) but who has not yet been able to figure out
                > > how to begin developing or how to install new firmware, can you
                > point
                > > me to a link or something that would tell me how to get started?
                > >>
                > >> I'm particularly interested in the new class of interface events
                > > like multi-point touch and 3D accelerometers and of ways to use
                > those
                > > events in SVG.
                > >>
                > >> thanks for the good news!
                > >> David

              • Dailey, David P.
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 11, 2008
                  I did a bit more checking on the 'net (does anyone every still call it that?) and found credible stories saying that Apple will release firmware 2.1 tomorrow (Friday) California time. Perhaps Cantabria, where Professor Vielva is, gets firmware roll-outs sooner due to some Apple plan (the applers, are a wily group, after all).

                  I will hope that 2.1 actually has SVG, since while it is a nice little gadget, it would be nice if the i-phone could do something ... something grand as well. I saw this rather fun little opinion piece arguing for webkit:

                  http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/09/skip_googles_ch.html

                  I sure hope Webkit gets SMIL soon.

                  David

                  ________________________________

                  I'm running 2.02 of the iPhone software and I don't see SVG files
                  being displayed yet. Do you have a link to one that you know works?

                  Guy

                  On 11/09/2008, at 4:17 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

                  > Hi David,
                  >
                  > I can just post the link for updating the firmware - this should be
                  > very easy:
                  >
                  > http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/ <http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/>
                  >
                  > I don't know much about the other questions.
                  >
                  > Andreas
                  >

                  > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com> , "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> As someone who just bought an i-phone (just to test out the
                  > development environment) but who has not yet been able to figure out
                  > how to begin developing or how to install new firmware, can you point
                  > me to a link or something that would tell me how to get started?
                  >>
                  >> I'm particularly interested in the new class of interface events
                  > like multi-point touch and 3D accelerometers and of ways to use those
                  > events in SVG.
                  >>
                  >> thanks for the good news!
                  >> David

                • Luis Vielva
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 11, 2008
                    Dear svg-developers,

                    apple released 2.1 firmware for the iPod touch las tuesday. I installed
                    it on my iPod touch and checked that it works with svg, even with DOM
                    modification using javascript. I assume that the 2,1 firmware
                    for the iPhone that they will release today will incorporate the same upgrades
                    to safari (that was the reason because I used parenthesis when referring to
                    the iPhone on my first mail).

                    Sorry for the misunderstanding,

                    Luis

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                      Dear svg-developers,

                      apple released 2.1 firmware for the iPod touch las tuesday. I installed
                      it on my iPod touch and checked that it works with svg, even with DOM
                      modification using javascript. I assume that the 2,1 firmware
                      for the iPhone that they will release today will incorporate the same upgrades
                      to safari (that was the reason because I used parenthesis when referring to
                      the iPhone on my first mail).

                      Sorry for the misunderstanding,

                      Luis

                      P.S.: I have had some problems posting messages, since I have changed
                      my email since I subscribed long ago. I hope you forgive me for any duplicates
                      that could appear.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 14, 2008
                        I've just installed v2.1 on my iPhone and WOW, it REALLY supports SVG,
                        not just basic vector graphics but REAL APPs, eg lhr.webtrak-
                        lochard.com/svg works, planes fly around etc. (the interface is hard
                        to use with an iPhone, but that could be fixed of course).

                        I think this is a huge shot in the arm for SVG. Yay Apple!

                        Guy

                      • Andreas Neumann
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 14, 2008
                          good to hear, Guy.

                          Yes, I think that mobile apps need to be different from desktop apps.
                          Not only are the displays smaller, but the touch screen events are
                          probably not very precise, compared to a mouse pointer or tablet.

                          Andreas

                          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Guy Morton <guy@...> wrote:

                          > I've just installed v2.1 on my iPhone and WOW, it REALLY supports
                          SVG,
                          > not just basic vector graphics but REAL APPs, eg lhr.webtrak-
                          > lochard.com/svg works, planes fly around etc. (the interface is
                          hard
                          > to use with an iPhone, but that could be fixed of course).
                          >
                          > I think this is a huge shot in the arm for SVG. Yay Apple!
                          >
                          > Guy
                          >

                          > On 12/09/2008, at 6:10 PM, Luis Vielva wrote:
                          >
                          > > Dear svg-developers,
                          > >
                          > > apple released 2.1 firmware for the iPod touch las tuesday. I
                          > > installed
                          > > it on my iPod touch and checked that it works with svg, even with
                          DOM
                          > > modification using javascript. I assume that the 2,1 firmware
                          > > for the iPhone that they will release today will incorporate the
                          > > same upgrades
                          > > to safari (that was the reason because I used parenthesis when
                          > > referring to
                          > > the iPhone on my first mail).
                          > >
                          > > Sorry for the misunderstanding,
                          > >
                          > > Luis
                          > >
                          > > P.S.: I have had some problems posting messages, since I have
                          changed
                          > > my email since I subscribed long ago. I hope you forgive me for
                          any
                          > > duplicates
                          > > that could appear.
                          > >
                          > > On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Dailey, David P.
                          <david.dailey@...
                          > > > wrote:
                          > >> I did a bit more checking on the 'net (does anyone every still
                          call
                          > >> it
                          > >> that?) and found credible stories saying that Apple will
                          release
                          > >> firmware
                          > >> 2.1 tomorrow (Friday) California time. Perhaps Cantabria, where
                          > >> Professor
                          > >> Vielva is, gets firmware roll-outs sooner due to some Apple plan
                          (the
                          > >> applers, are a wily group, after all).
                          > >>
                          > >> I will hope that 2.1 actually has SVG, since while it is a nice
                          > >> little
                          > >> gadget, it would be nice if the i-phone could do something ...
                          > >> something
                          > >> grand as well. I saw this rather fun little opinion piece
                          arguing for
                          > >> webkit:
                          > >>
                          > >> http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/09/
                          skip_googles_ch.html

                          > >> I sure hope Webkit gets SMIL soon.
                          > >>
                          > >> David
                          > >>

                          > >> ________________________________

                        • meikelneu
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 20, 2008
                            <a.neumann@...> wrote:

                            > good to hear, Guy.
                            >
                            > Yes, I think that mobile apps need to be different from desktop apps.
                            > Not only are the displays smaller, but the touch screen events are
                            > probably not very precise, compared to a mouse pointer or tablet.
                            >
                            > Andreas

                            Indeed, the touch interface doesn't make much sense with sliders and
                            mousover events and it will be especially tough to adapt thematic maps
                            to the small display.

                            However it was quite easy to make a simple version of an animated
                            population pyramid for iPhone, see here if you have an iPhone
                            http://vis.uell.net/pyramids/iphone
                            or here if you don't
                            http://flickr.com/photos/mac/2872612330/

                            Buttons and drop down menus work really well and performance is
                            sufficient.

                            Michael
                          • Guy Morton
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 20, 2008
                              Nice work.

                              On 20/09/2008, at 10:49 PM, meikelneu wrote:

                              > <a.neumann@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> good to hear, Guy.
                              >>
                              >> Yes, I think that mobile apps need to be different from desktop apps.
                              >> Not only are the displays smaller, but the touch screen events are
                              >> probably not very precise, compared to a mouse pointer or tablet.
                              >>
                              >> Andreas
                              >
                              > Indeed, the touch interface doesn't make much sense with sliders and
                              > mousover events and it will be especially tough to adapt thematic maps
                              > to the small display.
                              >
                              > However it was quite easy to make a simple version of an animated
                              > population pyramid for iPhone, see here if you have an iPhone
                              > http://vis.uell.net/pyramids/iphone
                              > or here if you don't
                              > http://flickr.com/photos/mac/2872612330/
                              >
                              > Buttons and drop down menus work really well and performance is
                              > sufficient.
                              >
                              > Michael

                            • meikelneu
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 21, 2008
                                > it will be especially tough to adapt thematic maps
                                > to the small display.

                                it seems the iPhone doesn't do too bad with SVG maps either
                                the double-tap zooms in on <g> elements

                                see a short movie here
                                http://flickr.com/photos/mac/2876038626/

                                or try it out yourself