svg file extension?

  • Owen Corpening
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
      If I have a proper svg file drawing one line saved as a .svg file, it draws (in firefox3), but rename it .html it does not. Is this "as designed"?
      Here is the file fyi:
      <?
      <!xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd"><svg width="100%" height="100%" version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"><line x1="20" y1="20" x2="1300" y2="20" style="stroke:rgb(99,99,99);stroke-width:2"/></svg>
       Owen Corpening

    • Robert Longson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Owen Corpening
        <owencorpening@...> wrote:

        > If I�have a proper svg file drawing one line saved as a .svg file,
        it draws (in firefox3), but rename it .html�it does not. Is this "as
        designed"?
        > Here is the file fyi:
        > <?
        > <!xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD
        SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd"><svg
        width="100%" height="100%" version="1.1"
        xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"><line x1="20" y1="20" x2="1300"
        y2="20" style="stroke:rgb(99,99,99);stroke-width:2"/></svg>
        > �Owen Corpening

        If you are using it on your local file system then try renaming it to
        have the extension .xhtml. If the file is being accessed from a web
        server then check the mime type is correct i.e. you are serving the
        file as an xhtml rather than an html file.

        Best regards

        Robert
      • Doug Schepers
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
          Hi, Owen-

          Owen Corpening wrote (on 8/2/08 5:33 PM):
          > If I have a proper svg file drawing one line saved as a .svg file,
          > it draws (in firefox3), but rename it .html it does not. Is this
          > "as designed"?

          As Robert described, it will render in some browsers if you use the
          ".xhtml" extension. The SVG spec recommends the use of the ".svg"
          extension, and some user agents may not render (or open) files with
          another extension.

          I'm curious as to your use case... why do you want/need to serve it as
          XHTML?

          Regards-
          -Doug
        • Owen Corpening
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
            Excellent question: after hitting "send" I realized that the real situation is "I need to integrate svg into html" ... and I am having problems with that.
            Should I expect simple svg lines to work happily with IE6/FF2? It appears they are the lion's share of the browser market right now. The IE adobe viewer has not been kind to me.
            owen
             Owen Corpening
            10911 Watchful Fox Drive
            Austin, TX 78748

            512 634-5148 Office
            512 659-5300 Cell

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
              In fact, at the mozilla page desribing how to do svg-in-html its first example is an xhtml page with .xml extension:
              http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_In_HTML_Introduction
              I think there is room for valid confusion here. All everyone wants is to be able to serve up their webpages including svg div's to all browsers ...
              thanks,
              owen
               Owen Corpening
              10911 Watchful Fox Drive
              Austin, TX 78748

              512 634-5148 Office
              512 659-5300 Cell

              Owen Corpening wrote (on 8/2/08 5:33 PM):
              > If I have a proper svg file drawing one line saved as a .svg file,
              > it draws (in firefox3), but rename it .html it does not. Is this
              > "as designed"?

              As Robert described, it will render in some browsers if you use the
              ".xhtml" extension. The SVG spec recommends the use of the ".svg"
              extension, and some user agents may not render (or open) files with
              another extension.

              I'm curious as to your use case... why do you want/need to serve it as
              XHTML?

              Regards-
              -Doug

            • cwflamont
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
                Owen Corpening wrote:

                It's up to you Owen, but I would be wary of broadcasting all that
                personal info.