Opera 9.5: blue rectangles around elements with event handler attributes

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
      Hi all - and especially Erik!

      I have a question on a new behavior in Opera 9.5.

      It appears that many of my GUI elements (SVG elements that have event
      handler attributes, such as onmousedown, onclick, etc. attached) now
      have a "blue rectangle" around the GUI elements.

      When i activate a control by clicking on it (e.g. a button, a tab, a
      slider or a checkbox), a blue rounded rectangle appears around the
      control. You can try by visiting http://www.carto.net/williams/
      yosemite/ and using one of the controls (such as the slider, a
      checkbox, etc.)

      I wonder if this behavior is intentional and why it was introduced?
      Is this sort of a focus indicator?

      Thanks,
      Andreas
    • Armin Mueller
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
        Andreas,

        Erik wrote me that this bounding box can be removed with the attribute
        focusHighlight="none" (SVG1.2).
        You must add this to all elements with a onclick EventHandler.

        Unfortunately it seems that this attribute does not inherit, so it you cant
        give it to the SVG-element but on each child with onclick event.

        Erik is this a bug or a feature that the attribute is not inheritable?

        Armin

      • Andreas Neumann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
          I wasn't quite sure if I like this feature or not. I think in general
          I like it.

          But for those who don't like it there should be an easy way to turn
          it off.

          I had an issue where there was a problem with "self-made" tooltips
          and the focus rectangles. Tooltips should be on top of everything
          else but since my tooltips are selfmade, the blue focus rectangles
          are on top of the tooltips. Guess one shouldn't use self-written
          tooltips but use the SVG tooltips that aren't implemented everywhere.

          Andreas

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Armin Mueller"
          <A.Mueller@...> wrote:

          > Andreas,
          >
          > Erik wrote me that this bounding box can be removed with the
          attribute
          > focusHighlight="none" (SVG1.2).
          > You must add this to all elements with a onclick EventHandler.
          >
          > Unfortunately it seems that this attribute does not inherit, so it
          you cant
          > give it to the SVG-element but on each child with onclick event.
          >
          > Erik is this a bug or a feature that the attribute is not
          inheritable?

          > Armin

        • Helder Magalhães
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
            > Erik is this a bug or a feature that the attribute is not inheritable?

            Not Erik but... ;-)

            According to the specification, the "focusHighlight" property [1] is
            not inherited.

            I agree that it ("focusHighlight" property being inherited) makes
            sense, as one may simply desire disabling this behavior for the whole
            document at once (by setting "focusHighlight" to "none" in root
            element). I don't dislike current (version 9.5 as of now) Opera
            behavior - placing translucent rounded rectangles over interactive
            elements - but when implementing GUI features by hand, for example,
            this may become somehow annoying...

            Should a thread be created in W3C's SVG mailing list [2] to discuss
            this within the specification scope?

            Regards,

            Helder Magalhães

            [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/interact.html#FocusHighlight
            [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/
          • Armin Mueller
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
              Andreas,

              i think the feature is not bad.
              But I think it would be good if it is inheritable. Then I can give my
              SVG-Element focusHighlight="none" and all children elements have also
              focusHighlight="none".

              Armin

            • ddailey
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18, 2008
                I just got back from a small vacation and tried out Opera 9.5*. I'm quite pleased with the progress!

                It seems to have solved all the nasty problems I've been throwing at it (and a good many that I thought were my own problems for not understanding the spec properly).

                As I say, I'm very pleased!

                David

                *what is the current jargon for software which is neither alpha nor beta?