Re: IE8 and Adobe ASV3 Legal Problems

  • tpifre
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 2 8:54 AM
      Since Firefox supports SVG ... what about running Firefox inside IE?
      (I saw there is a FF extension to run IE inside Firefox).

      http://www.nabble.com/IE8-doesn%27t-do-SVG%2C-now-is-good-timing-for-Batik-to-fix-that-in-a-more-general-way-td15876210.html#a16101521
      > for the current discussions on this.
      > Bruce
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
      > <francishemsher@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been accepted as a Beta Tester for IE8 as relating to SVG.
      > >
      > > I would like to submit a suggestion to the IE8 team to bundle the
      Adobe
      > > SVG viewer.
      > >
      > > Before I do this, I want to be assured that Adobe will not block this
      > > effort.
      > >
      > > Does anyone believe that Adobe has a legal issue relative to this IE8
      > > bundle?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Francis

    • Doug Schepers
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 10 5:08 PM
        Hi, Guy-

        Guy Morton wrote (on 4/10/08 12:31 AM):

        > I think it should be pretty obvious that my "threats of violence"
        > were in jest. Let's not imply they might have been otherwise by
        > getting all serious about it. The smily face is a big clue.

        It's still not appropriate language or subject matter for a this list.
        Thanks for adopting a more moderate tone.

        > What do you suggest we do about MS and no SVG in IE8? MS are making
        > it pretty obvious that they're intent on driving SVG off the face of
        > the earth. Unlike some of the more optimistic types on this list I
        > saw that coming a mile off, and while I'd like to SVG succeed with
        > mass uptake in the browser arena, I have to say that unless SOMEONE
        > SOMEWHERE does more than just hope and ask nicely for MS to change I
        > can't see how that's going to happen.

        That's an excellent question. Obviously, if there is an appropriate
        plugin that is maintained and available, native support in IE is less of
        a concern... but still a concern.

        I know of several possible replacements for ASV, and I will keep
        pressing those vendors to make them publicly available.

        We can also keep pressing MS to support SVG, and that is happening on a
        number of fronts. I remind them of it fairly frequently, but that's not
        enough, of course... The standards law suit they are facing in the EU is
        one way of putting market pressure on them. Getting their customers
        (large companies and organizations who send them requirements) to
        request SVG is another. Yet another is including normative references
        to it in HTML5, which they intend to implement.

        All of these things are ongoing, but in my opinion, step one is to get
        them to support XHTML and proper DOM. Without that first step, which
        will be easier, supporting just the graphical aspects of SVG is not very
        helpful. So, let's move them one step at a time.

        Regards-
        -Doug