Re: [svg-developers] Re: is svg out of favor?

  • Ronan O Ciosoig
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1 3:14 AM
      I can do this next week as I am starting in new company dedicated to
      mobile development and most new mobile phones are available.
      If I forget, remind me...

      On 1 Apr 2008, at 11:56, Veiko Herne wrote:

      > I have favour to ask from the group.
      > If somebody have Sony Ericsson w950/w960 phone can they test my clip
      > http://veikoh.freehostia.com/svg/Password.svgz

    • veiko herne
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 7 5:36 AM
        Hi

        Any luck to find Symbian 9.1 phones like Sony Ericsson
        W950/W960 or Nokia E65?

        Veiko

        --- Ronan O Ciosoig <ronanoc@...> wrote:

        > I can do this next week as I am starting in new
        > company dedicated to
        > mobile development and most new mobile phones are
        > available.
        > If I forget, remind me...
        >

        > On 1 Apr 2008, at 11:56, Veiko Herne wrote:
        >
        > > I have favour to ask from the group.
        > > If somebody have Sony Ericsson w950/w960 phone can
        > they test my clip
        > > http://veikoh.freehostia.com/svg/Password.svgz

        > removed]

        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > mailto:svg-developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Helder Magalhães
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 7 6:31 AM
          > Any luck to find Symbian 9.1 phones like Sony Ericsson
          > W950/W960 or Nokia E65?

          Any special reason to use those models? In the past I've made a few
          experiments with a Sony K750i [1] and SVG support was somehow
          preliminar and slow, but recently I've made quick tests involving a
          Sony Ericsson W580i [2] (a more recent model, not yet listed in SVG
          Phones of SVG.org [3]) and SVG support seemed a _lot_ better - maybe
          you won't need to find very powerful handsets but simply the more up
          to date...

          In the past, I've wrote messages to both Ikivo and BitFlash (vendors
          of the most deployed mobile SVG implementations) in order for the
          companies to publish some details on their SVG viewers and supported
          handsets (something like a technology support matrix). Unfortunately,
          AFAIK, nothing was ever published... :-( If someone from the companies
          is reading and would like further details or a resend of the previous
          message(s), don't hesitate in replying to this thread or sending me a
          private reply.

          Hope this helps,

          Helder Magalhães

          [1]http://svg.org/special/svg_phones#SonyEricsson
          [2]http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/w580i?cc=gb&lc=en
          [3]http://svg.org/special/svg_phones
        • veiko herne
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 7 8:36 AM
            The only SVG phones I found my clips working is
            Symbian 9.1 ones, because they either use or can use
            Ikivo's SVG code.
            Could you get my clip working on Sony K750i? This
            could be good news for me.

            I think, it was Nokia N95 which is currently cool
            multimedia device, so I could want to get my clips
            working on this model.

            I had tried Tinyline J2ME code without any luck so
            stuck with Ikivo and Opera.

            Veiko

            --- Helder Magalhães <helder.magalhaes@...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7 9:21 AM
              > Could you get my clip working on Sony K750i? This
              > could be good news for me.

              No, I didn't. The stated experiments were not related with your clip -
              sorry if some (potential) hope was erroneously raised for not clearing
              it up! :-|

              When I have the change I may attempt to test it, maybe in a Sony
              Ericsson W580i also: will post the results whenever I'm able to. :-)

              Regards,

              Helder Magalhães
            • Helder Magalhães
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 10 1:29 AM
                > When I have the change I may attempt to test it, maybe in a Sony
                > Ericsson W580i also: will post the results whenever I'm able to. :-)
                Well, was trying yesterday but it seems the link previosly stated [1]
                is broken...

                Regards,

                Helder Magalhães

              • Helder Magalhães
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 10 1:35 AM
                  > seems the link previosly stated [1] is broken...

                  Sorry, false alarm. Was probably a Web hosting temporary outage or
                  similar, as it's working as of now.

                  Helder Magalhães
                • veiko herne
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 10 2:29 AM
                    It should not work with W580 but should work with
                    W950/W960 models.
                    The link is here:

                    wrote:

                    > > When I have the change I may attempt to test it,
                    > maybe in a Sony
                    > > Ericsson W580i also: will post the results
                    > whenever I'm able to. :-)
                    > Well, was trying yesterday but it seems the link
                    > previosly stated [1]
                    > is broken...
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Helder Magalhães

                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > mailto:svg-developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Helder Magalhães
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 15, 2008
                      > When I have the change I may attempt to test it, maybe in a Sony
                      > Ericsson W580i also: will post the results whenever I'm able to. :-)

                      OK, finally managed to get your file through the mobile handsets (the
                      long delay happened due to one of the handsets was actually broken and
                      had to be replaced (weird crash lead to phone death!). Unfortunately
                      the results (and the delay itself) weren't favorable: it doesn't work
                      in (Sony Ericsson) K750i nor W580i.

                      After the tests, I realized that the problem may not be the extensive
                      use of animation but probably the content complexity itself: the
                      uncompressed version (the one the viewer will actually process) is
                      about 1,2 MB (!) and, by opening it with a text editor, I noticed the
                      presence of lots of very complex paths. I had already noticed my K750i
                      refused to process large files (above about 150 KB) so... Note that
                      file size, although being a very rough heuristics for content
                      complexity, is usually a good indicator of whether it will be broken
                      in simpler devices.

                      I haven't opened the file with a SVG editor (such as Inkscape) to try
                      to identify the root cause of the file complexity (given the clean
                      drawn objects and relatively short duration) but Ikivo Animator can be
                      the causer of the file complexity. A while ago I was investigating
                      about a SVG editor and Salasaga [1] (previously known as "The Flame
                      project") seemed to be an option [2] but, unfortunately somewhere
                      during development, SVG focus was lost [3] (see tasks 47 and 48) [4].
                      I haven't been able to catch up with currently available tools so I
                      don't know which ones are more usable while producing simple and clean
                      SVG output. Why not create a new thread for a discussion on the topic? ;-)

                      On another hand, have you tried achieving compatibility with popular
                      implementations such as Firefox and Safari? Although they do not
                      implement SMIL yet, there are alternatives such as FakeSmile [5]
                      (short intro is available [6]).

                      Finally, noticed the (gzip compressed) file isn't being properly
                      served [7] (doesn't open in Firefox nor Safari). Maybe you are able to
                      configure your account and/or (even better) reach freehostia's Web
                      master and bring it to attention (so all users benefit from the
                      configuration changes)...

                      Good luck on your quest! ;-)

                      Hope this helps,

                      Helder Magalhães