tip for parseXML and FireFox3 and IE+ASV3

  • philsvg
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2008
      Hi all,

      Since i discover that FF3 supports patterns with bitmaps, i'm working
      to make my site compliant with FF3.
      The bigger problem (until this time) comes from parseXML.
      This is my context :
      My framework is composed of a frame divided in three parts. First
      frame is a html menu with links, second and third frames are html with
      embed svg.
      I have to include a pattern extracted from the second frame's svg to
      third frame's svg.
      With IE+ASV3, parseXML(printNode(mynode),SVGDocument) makes the job,
      not in FF3.

      First, I found a script PrintAndParse.js supplied by Kevin Lindsey
      and Doug Schepers (thinks for all the work they give to us(and the
      core team of svg-developers group)), trying to make it work in my
      context, but i fail. I had mainly an "operation is not supported"
      message error with importNode. Perhaps i missed something somewhere ...

      Searching deeper in google, i found a simple xml syntax and now i can
      replace :

      this IE+ASV javascript in svg syntax
      bn=parseXML(printNode(mynode),SVGDocument);
      bag_node.appendChild(bn);

      by this FFX3 javascript in svg syntax:

      bag_node.appendChild(SVGDocument.importNode(mynode,true));

      To keep IE+ASV3 and FF3 compatibility, i group these syntax in a
      function :

      function AddANode(docdest,mynode,dest)
      {
      if(window.parseXML){
      bn=parseXML(printNode(mynode),docdest);
      dest.appendChild(bn);
      } else
      {
      dest.appendChild(docdest.importNode(mynode,true));
      call by :
      bag_node=SVGDocument.getElementById(patternbag);
      AddANode(SVGDocument,a_node,bag_node);

      and now, two svg can exchange patterns with javascript through framed
      html, in IE+ASV3 and FF3b3!

      Hope this will help you.

      Philippe
      http://www.visualkit.com ... not yet FF3 compliant.

      PS : Opera deals with patterns and bitmap since years, but I can't
      find a working example of svg-html-svg communication for Opera. Is
      someone know if this is (will) implemented?
    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2008
        Hello,

        Yes, FF3 supports patterns now, so does Opera9 and Safari. I really
        recommend not only testing with FF3, but also with Opera and Safari.

        Yes, Opera supports HTML<->SVG communication. It should work the same
        as with FF and Safari.

        parseXML:

        there is a function called "serializeNode()" at http://www.carto.net/
        papers/svg/resources/helper_functions.js

        This function works across all browsers an UAs, incl. ASV, Batik,
        Opera, Firefox and Safari. The argument is just a DOM-node, the
        result is a string containing the text representation of the DOM-node.

        Andreas

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 18, 2008
          Hello,

          Thanks for your answer Andreas.

          Concerning Opera, yes it should, but i can't found a simple example
          that shows Opera can communicate in html-svg-html mode.

          The example i found which demonstrate FFX can do it doesn't work with
          opera (i didn't try beta version). It's a tricky way i could never
          found by myself. This example, plus pattern and bitmap support are the
          trigger of my willing to use FFX to finish to develop my new shapes
          (yes, it's a challenge).

          if i have an example of true html-svg-html communication, i think i
          could manage opera in my svg generator. I hope to find it because
          opera seems better to support dash-dot lines than FFX (perhaps i don't
          use good syntax for FFX).

          Nice to read you.

          Philippe

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann" <neumann@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > if(window.parseXML){
          > > bn=parseXML(printNode(mynode),docdest);
          > > dest.appendChild(bn);
          > > } else
          > > {
          > > dest.appendChild(docdest.importNode(mynode,true));
          > > }
          > > }
          > > call by :
          > > bag_node=SVGDocument.getElementById(patternbag);
          > > AddANode(SVGDocument,a_node,bag_node);
          > >
          > > and now, two svg can exchange patterns with javascript through
          > framed
          > > html, in IE+ASV3 and FF3b3!
          > >
          > > Hope this will help you.
          > >
          > > Philippe
          > > http://www.visualkit.com ... not yet FF3 compliant.
          > >
          > > PS : Opera deals with patterns and bitmap since years, but I can't
          > > find a working example of svg-html-svg communication for Opera. Is
          > > someone know if this is (will) implemented?

        • Erik Dahlström
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 19, 2008
            On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:45:50 +0100, philsvg <philsvg@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Thanks for your answer Andreas.
            >
            > Concerning Opera, yes it should, but i can't found a simple example
            > that shows Opera can communicate in html-svg-html mode.

            Like Andreas said it should work just like in Firefox (here are two
            examples that show html<->svg communication):

            http://jwatt.org/svg/demos/scripting-across-object.html
            http://jwatt.org/svg/demos/scripting-across-embed.html

            The svg wiki also has some examples:

            http://wiki.svg.org/Inter-Document_Communication

            If given the choice I would use <object> rather than <embed>.

            > The example i found which demonstrate FFX can do it doesn't work with
            > opera (i didn't try beta version).

            I would like to see how that looks like, do you have a link, or could you
            post the source?

            Cheers
            /Erik

            Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
          • philsvg
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 19, 2008
              Hello Erik,

              I had already find your example, which demonstrate only html-svg-
              html, not svg-html-svg (IMHO).

              i found my prefered example here :

              http://svg-whiz.com/svg/interdoc/html-svg.html

              I found it using FFX, and i downloaded it on my local disk. When i
              tested it with Opera, it doesn't work. At loading,I get "The
              GetSVGDocument interface is not supported" message, not with FFX.

              In fact, searching url to answer your asking, i tested it in line
              with opera and ... it works with Opera too. I converted the example
              in php to be sure, and it works too with opera. Testing more in local
              file system, it works with FFX ... for one click.

              Sorry for that mistake.

              So, following these syntax, i should provide svg for IE/FFX/Opera. A
              dream ...

              And now, trying my svg generated code working with FFX3b, with Opera
              I have a type mismatch error at
              objet = evt.target.getAttributeNS(null, "id"); (syntax recommanded in
              http://jwatt.org/svg/authoring/ i decided to follow ... and works
              well for FFX)
              that i can replace by (as i can see in the example code)
              objet_temp=evt.target;
              objet=objet_temp.id;

              but somewhere in my code, i have to use getAttributeNS to parametrize
              the attribute's name to factorize my code ... so thanks to avoid me
              to go deeper in that bad way ...

              I have to work more to be compliant with Opera ... So it is late now

              Nice to read you
              Philippe

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Erik Dahlström <ed@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:45:50 +0100, philsvg <philsvg@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > Thanks for your answer Andreas.
              > >
              > > Concerning Opera, yes it should, but i can't found a simple
              example
              > > that shows Opera can communicate in html-svg-html mode.
              >
              > Like Andreas said it should work just like in Firefox (here are
              two
              > examples that show html<->svg communication):
              >
              > http://jwatt.org/svg/demos/scripting-across-object.html
              > http://jwatt.org/svg/demos/scripting-across-embed.html
              >
              > The svg wiki also has some examples:
              >
              > http://wiki.svg.org/Inter-Document_Communication
              >
              > If given the choice I would use <object> rather than <embed>.
              >
              > > The example i found which demonstrate FFX can do it doesn't work
              with
              > > opera (i didn't try beta version).
              >
              > I would like to see how that looks like, do you have a link, or
              could you
              > post the source?
              >
              > Cheers
              > /Erik
              >
              > --
              > Erik Dahlstrom, Core Technology Developer, Opera Software
              > Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
              > Personal blog: http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed

            • Erik Dahlström
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 20, 2008
                On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:00:42 +0100, philsvg <philsvg@...> wrote:

                > Hello Erik,
                >
                > I had already find your example, which demonstrate only html-svg-
                > html, not svg-html-svg (IMHO).
                >
                > i found my prefered example here :
                >
                > http://svg-whiz.com/svg/interdoc/html-svg.html
                >
                > I found it using FFX, and i downloaded it on my local disk. When i
                > tested it with Opera, it doesn't work. At loading,I get "The
                > GetSVGDocument interface is not supported" message, not with FFX.

                Embed with svg:s in Opera 9.2x may sometimes give a non-consistent result
                unfortunately, should work consistently in 9.5 though. Replacing <embed>
                with <object> usually helps.

                > And now, trying my svg generated code working with FFX3b, with Opera
                > I have a type mismatch error at
                > objet = evt.target.getAttributeNS(null, "id"); (syntax recommanded in
                > http://jwatt.org/svg/authoring/ i decided to follow ... and works
                > well for FFX)
                > that i can replace by (as i can see in the example code)
                > objet_temp=evt.target;
                > objet=objet_temp.id;

                FF doesn't implement the SVGElementInstance DOM, so my guess is that you
                are seeing this on elements that were <use>:d. Inspect the type of
                evt.target to see what it is, alert("evt.target: " + evt.target + "
                evt.currentTarget: " + evt.currentTarget). Sometimes evt.currentTarget is
                what you wanted, sometimes it's not. For example there can be cases where
                you want to know which one (of several <use>:d instances) your event
                occurred in, and sometimes you only want to get at the "real" elements
                that the <use> pointed to. I hope that makes it easier to understand :)

                Anyway, both of your ways of getting id:s should work just fine, provided
                of course that you have an SVGElement or a Node, in case you have an
                SVGElementInstance then there is no id attribute since it's a "shadow tree
                element".

                By reading the SVG 1.1 spec it's clear that SVGElementInstance has no
                getAttributeNS method on it - it doesn't implement the Node interface,
                only the EventTarget interface. For details see:

                http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#InterfaceSVGElementInstance
                (definition of the SVGElementInstance interface)
                http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html#Events-EventTarget
                (definition of the EventTarget interface)

                > but somewhere in my code, i have to use getAttributeNS to parametrize
                > the attribute's name to factorize my code ... so thanks to avoid me
                > to go deeper in that bad way ...
                >
                > I have to work more to be compliant with Opera ... So it is late now

                I agree that it's unfortunate that Firefox implements <use> incorrectly,
                since it hurts interoperability, but perhaps this can be fixed in time for
                the FF3.0 final version? That SVGElementInstance isn't implemented is one
                thing, that FF by cloning nodes instead of "conceptually cloning nodes"
                also has side-effects such as the fact that CSS selectors applies to the
                shadow trees (which the spec tells you they must not). The SVG 1.1
                testsuite didn't have any tests covering these cases though, but such
                tests will no doubt be added for future releases.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 20, 2008
                  Hello Erik,

                  You're right!

                  with Opera :
                  evt.target: [object SVGElementInstance]evt.currentTarget: [object
                  SVGUseElement]

                  With FFX :
                  evt.target: [object SVGUseElement]evt.currentTarget: [object
                  SVGUseElement]

                  So, to deal with evt, i use now :
                  if (typeof evt.target.id != 'undefined') // don't find a better way
                  to check
                  {
                  objet=evt.target.getAttributeNS(null,"id");
                  }
                  else {
                  objet=evt.currentTarget.getAttributeNS(null,"id");
                  }

                  Now I can fill shapes with bitmaps patterns and compare patterns with
                  IE, FFX and Opera : ex-equo IE and Opera, FFX shows white line at
                  junction(varying when zooming).

                  As i use svg like a simple scripting language, i find IMHO that it is
                  not consistent to have two different syntaxes to access to an object
                  (is it for secutity issues?). I see that i will have to deal with
                  that for groups ...

                  At this moment, I don't have the same behavior in each UAs, but i see
                  a light in the tunnel.

                  Many thanks Erik,

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
                    Hi Phil,

                    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:09:18 +0100, philsvg <philsvg@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Erik,
                    >
                    > You're right!
                    >
                    > with Opera :
                    > evt.target: [object SVGElementInstance]evt.currentTarget: [object
                    > SVGUseElement]
                    >
                    > With FFX :
                    > evt.target: [object SVGUseElement]evt.currentTarget: [object
                    > SVGUseElement]
                    >
                    > So, to deal with evt, i use now :
                    > if (typeof evt.target.id != 'undefined') // don't find a better way
                    > to check
                    > {
                    > objet=evt.target.getAttributeNS(null,"id");
                    > }
                    > else {
                    > objet=evt.currentTarget.getAttributeNS(null,"id");
                    > }

                    It seems you are not interested in the id:s of the <use>:d elements, only
                    the id:s of the <use> elements themselves. If that's true then you can use
                    evt.currentTarget everywhere and just remove the unnecessary specialcasing.

                    > Now I can fill shapes with bitmaps patterns and compare patterns with
                    > IE, FFX and Opera : ex-equo IE and Opera, FFX shows white line at
                    > junction(varying when zooming).

                    Perhaps those are anti-aliasing or alignment issues? You can always play
                    with the 'image-rendering' and 'shape-rendering' properties to see if that
                    helps.

                    > As i use svg like a simple scripting language, i find IMHO that it is
                    > not consistent to have two different syntaxes to access to an object
                    > (is it for secutity issues?). I see that i will have to deal with
                    > that for groups ...

                    Oh? Is this not the same as the issue with SVGElementInstance? Feel free
                    to share some more details. :)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                      Hello Erik,

                      > > Now I can fill shapes with bitmaps patterns and compare patterns
                      with
                      > > IE, FFX and Opera : ex-equo IE and Opera, FFX shows white line at
                      > > junction(varying when zooming).
                      >
                      > Perhaps those are anti-aliasing or alignment issues? You can always
                      play
                      > with the 'image-rendering' and 'shape-rendering' properties to see
                      if that
                      > helps.

                      It was not clear : ex-equo IE and Opera, pattern is ok at normal
                      zoom. not with FFX which have an horizontal line.
                      Zooming in the pattern shows a white horizontal line with IE+ASV3
                      (full zooming), white horizontal line at normal size or vertical or
                      horizontal line with FFX3 at middle zoom and no white line with Opera
                      9.25 even at full zoom. Who is right, who is wrong? Test with this
                      example http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/
                      sL7BR0VCKQtuBIkMsbQkdIadRAjwzci0TqjFF9bCUSataRmdD-
                      YLaCIZUaZp0us_1jiV1yn6LmESyMJs7ux9mci9aB7l/carre_txtur.svg
                      (carre_txtur.svg in files of svg-devevolpers' group)

                      > Oh? Is this not the same as the issue with SVGElementInstance?

                      No, it isn't. I have a svgRectelement with target, and a svgElement
                      with currenttarget, both with id ... i have to take care of the
                      structure with groups,events and function dealing with events, to
                      have the same behavior with Opera/FFX than IE+ASV3.

                      Nice to read you

                      Philippe
                    • Erik Dahlström
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 25, 2008
                        On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:04:37 +0100, philsvg <philsvg@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Erik,
                        >
                        >> > Now I can fill shapes with bitmaps patterns and compare patterns
                        > with
                        >> > IE, FFX and Opera : ex-equo IE and Opera, FFX shows white line at
                        >> > junction(varying when zooming).
                        >>
                        >> Perhaps those are anti-aliasing or alignment issues? You can always
                        > play
                        >> with the 'image-rendering' and 'shape-rendering' properties to see
                        > if that
                        >> helps.
                        >>
                        > It was not clear : ex-equo IE and Opera, pattern is ok at normal
                        > zoom. not with FFX which have an horizontal line.

                        I don't understand "ex-equo" (and online dictionaries didn't help either).
                        From the context I would guess "both", correct?

                        > Zooming in the pattern shows a white horizontal line with IE+ASV3
                        > (full zooming), white horizontal line at normal size or vertical or
                        > horizontal line with FFX3 at middle zoom and no white line with Opera
                        > 9.25 even at full zoom. Who is right, who is wrong?

                        Batik also shows it without the white lines (regardless of zoom level).
                        Since there is no white lines in the pattern, and the image in the pattern
                        element covers the entire area defined in the pattern element I don't see
                        why there should be any white lines when tiling the pattern. I would
                        probably guess it's an artefact from anti-aliasing, or perhaps a precision
                        issue when scaling. A workaround might be to use sub-pixel adjustments
                        (for x,y,width,height) of the image inside the pattern, but it sounds like
                        this should be reported as a mozilla bug.

                        >> Oh? Is this not the same as the issue with SVGElementInstance?
                        >
                        > No, it isn't. I have a svgRectelement with target, and a svgElement
                        > with currenttarget, both with id ... i have to take care of the
                        > structure with groups,events and function dealing with events, to
                        > have the same behavior with Opera/FFX than IE+ASV3.

                        Could you provide an example? I'm not sure I follow where there would have
                        to be a difference.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 26, 2008
                          Hello Erik,

                          > I don't understand "ex-equo" (and online dictionaries didn't help
                          either).
                          > From the context I would guess "both", correct?

                          You're right! Sorry, it is ex-aequo (google : ex-aequo equal - to find
                          an english definition). i thought it was not necessary to translate it
                          as it is an antiq latin expression (very current in France).

                          > > Zooming in the pattern shows a white horizontal line with IE+ASV3
                          > > (full zooming), white horizontal line at normal size or vertical or
                          > > horizontal line with FFX3 at middle zoom and no white line with Opera
                          > > 9.25 even at full zoom. Who is right, who is wrong?
                          >
                          > Batik also shows it without the white lines (regardless of zoom
                          level).
                          > Since there is no white lines in the pattern, and the image in the
                          pattern
                          > element covers the entire area defined in the pattern element I
                          don't see
                          > why there should be any white lines when tiling the pattern. I would
                          > probably guess it's an artefact from anti-aliasing, or perhaps a
                          precision
                          > issue when scaling. A workaround might be to use sub-pixel adjustments
                          > (for x,y,width,height) of the image inside the pattern, but it
                          sounds like
                          > this should be reported as a mozilla bug.

                          yesssss!! i found an other bug in FFX! (my work is partially bug
                          tracking, so it's a pleasure for me to find a bug ;-).( two years ago,
                          i reported a crash with Opera when i clicked on my Print button, it is
                          now solved. Thanks Opera team!))
                          But I will not search for a workaround, I will waiting for a solve...
                          It's OK with IE+ASV3 (my reference, i finally admire the perfect work
                          of adobe), near to OK with Opera (printing is ok, so extrem zooming is
                          not important), OK with Batik ( I will try if i am now compliant with
                          batik (my last trying dates from 2002)), not so far OK with FFX, so i
                          can wait ... i'am still waiting since 4 years, so, one year or two ...

                          > >> Oh? Is this not the same as the issue with SVGElementInstance?
                          > >
                          > > No, it isn't. I have a svgRectelement with target, and a svgElement
                          > > with currenttarget, both with id ... i have to take care of the
                          > > structure with groups,events and function dealing with events, to
                          > > have the same behavior with Opera/FFX than IE+ASV3.
                          >
                          > Could you provide an example? I'm not sure I follow where there
                          would have
                          > to be a difference.

                          it is not simple to explain ... i trie to find a generic syntax to
                          deal with events in svg objects, so what you show is not good for me.
                          Translating my syntax patterns to be compliant with FFX and Opera, i
                          found some bugs in some controls (transparency control to be precise,
                          to compare with rvb control) which shows that i must take care of how
                          i manage group events, objects events and functions dealing with. It
                          is now to early to provide precise example, but, as i don't have so
                          much time and if you have time, connect to my site
                          (http://www.visualkit.com) with anonymous access, and dive in the code
                          (not very clean, i admit) of "2D shapes with texture" (with IE+ASV3
                          ... it's an old fashion syntax) and extand your thought to what i
                          should demonstrate. (sorry to say that, but i have really not a lot of
                          time ... else, you can wait, but i feel you are a little bit impatient
                          ...)

                          Nice to read you
                          Philippe
                        • Andreas Neumann
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 27, 2008
                            Hi Philippe,

                            > yesssss!! i found an other bug in FFX! (my work is partially bug
                            > tracking, so it's a pleasure for me to find a bug ;-).( two years ago,
                            > i reported a crash with Opera when i clicked on my Print button, it is
                            > now solved. Thanks Opera team!))
                            > But I will not search for a workaround, I will waiting for a solve...
                            > It's OK with IE+ASV3 (my reference, i finally admire the perfect work
                            > of adobe), near to OK with Opera (printing is ok, so extrem zooming is
                            > not important), OK with Batik ( I will try if i am now compliant with
                            > batik (my last trying dates from 2002)), not so far OK with FFX, so i
                            > can wait ... i'am still waiting since 4 years, so, one year or
                            two ...

                            if you come across bugs in the Firefox SVG implementation, please
                            report the bug. Chances are good that it will be fixed for the final
                            release of Firefox3, which is due soon. Please report the bug as soon
                            as possible.

                            Thanks,
                            Andreas
                          • philsvg