Re: [svg-developers] Import/Export SVG

  • Neville A
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
      Hello:)
      Is the Amaya being referred to the embroidery people??
      Our program is an embroidery application..I did write to Adobe to check whether I can get a component to import/export or copy/paste ai/eps/emf/wmf/svg between applications..Its possible to create the capability with Leadtools for a few industry standards, but Im just checking if its possible to do it without reinventing the wheel so to speak.
      Having the capability to import vector images is quite important..the problem is with competitor graphic applications, the filestructures keep changing,although emf and a few others seems to remain quite standard.

      Im hoping I can get some affirmative response from Adobe,because that might assist in a big way..ai/eps are widely used formats.

      I did see some components, but just checking for the best one to suit our purposes..

      Life would be simpler if there was a 'standard' but with all the competing graphics developers, it would seem that this would be impossible:)

      bye
      Nevi
      david,

      I'm not clear why copy and paste isn't just text.

      is there a simple introduction to how we got in this mess?

      I recently filed a bug with Amaya on this very issue, not realising
      it was widespread ~:"

      cheers

      Jonathan Chetwynd
      Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

      On 14 Feb 2008, at 01:20, ddailey wrote:

      Hi Neville,

      I think that getting information to and from the Clipboard in SVG is
      likely to be difficult -- especially if you want your page to work
      across browsers. Without programming, I suspect you will find
      yourself rather stuck, and even with it, you may learn to curse like
      the proverbial sailor.

      Accessing the clipboard within the browser can be done but I think
      inelegantly. Seehttp://ntt. cc/2008/01/ 19/copy-paste- javascript- codes-
      ie-firefox-opera. html for some rather complex code that appears to do
      it across browsers (I haven't tried it myself). I would not be
      surprised if the W3C has some working group devoted just to copy and
      paste* , but I think the HTML5 folks are talking about
      standardization of methods for copying and pasting consistently
      across browsers.

      In my VML days, I did some stuff that used the clipboard to export
      content --if you are in the IE only world, see http://
      srufaculty.sru. edu/david. dailey/javascrip t/clipboard. html or http://
      srufaculty.sru. edu/david. dailey/grapher/ grapher.96. html . But even
      there one has to do some scripting to bring the drawn objects into
      the realm of native clipboard data -- through "serializing" or
      converting the SVG or VML or XML document to an ascii string.

      See http://srufaculty. sru.edu/david. dailey/svg/ SVG_serialize. html for
      a page that successfully converts a very simple SVG document to an
      HTML readable text string displayed in a textarea. I think I have a
      recursive version that handles deeper files around someplace, but I
      seem to have misplaced it.

      This last thing works in all four of the major SVG browsers (Firefox,
      IE/ASV, Opera and Safari) and probably represents a plausible way to
      import and export SVG data since, at least, it gets the stuff to
      HTML. -- absent a <textarea> in SVG1.1 you may want to just rely on
      an HTML <textarea> to provide the intermediary. In terms of going
      from SVG data provided by an application -- you'd probably have to
      first get the SVG into source code from your application, then bring
      it via clipboard into HTML, whence squeeze the thing into an SVG
      <object> (or <embed>) -- sorta like herehttp://srufacul ty.sru.edu/
      david.dailey/ javascript/ markup6.html

      All this involves lots of gnarly code. Hopefully our colleagues on
      this list can point to something a good deal less complex, since it
      is something, I'm sure others besides just you and me would like to
      be able to do with a minimum of mess.

      cheers,
      David

      * since they seem to have a working group for just about everything
      else -- although now that I think about it, it may be best to
      separate the two since the sorts of people who do copying probably
      belong to a different guild than those who paste. (just kidding)

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2008
        Thank you!

        _____

        What I need to do, is to be able to copy/paste svg images between
        applications..eg from Coreldraw/to Coreldraw etc..

        Does anyone have a component to simply add this capability to an
        application? If theres something that handles multiple types like
        emf /wmf too will be great.

        I work as a function specifier,and am not a 'programmer'..so, I just
        say what I need:)

        Can someone direct me?

        Thanks
        Nev

      • Charles McCathieNevile
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18, 2008
          On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:17:47 +0100, Conference <conf@...> wrote:

          > Thank you!
          > From: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
          > [mailto:svg-developers@yahoogroups.com]
          > On Behalf Of ddailey
          > Accessing the clipboard within the browser can be done but I think
          > inelegantly. See http://ntt.cc/
          > <http://ntt.cc/2008/01/19/copy-paste-javascript-codes-ie-firefox-opera.html>
          > 2008/01/19/copy-paste-javascript-codes-ie-firefox-opera.html for some
          > rather
          > complex code that appears to do it across browsers (I haven't tried it
          > myself). I would not be surprised if the W3C has some working group
          > devoted
          > just to copy and paste*

          Actually, it has a specification on clipboard apis [1] which is meant to
          cover copy/paste and drag/drop. Unfortunately at the moment the
          specification editors have no time to work on it, so it is looking for new
          editors. If you're interested, feel free to join the WebAPI group (if you
          work for a W3C member) or apply for invited expert status (if not - in
          which case write to me as the chair).

          [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/clipboard-apis/

          cheers

          Chaals

          --
          Charles McCathieNevile Opera Software, Standards Group
          http://my.opera.com/chaals Try Opera 9.5: http://snapshot.opera.com