Import/Export SVG

  • Neville
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2008
      hello:)
      We have a desktop application.
      What I need to do, is to be able to copy/paste svg images between
      applications..eg from Coreldraw/to Coreldraw etc..

      Does anyone have a component to simply add this capability to an
      application? If theres something that handles multiple types like
      emf /wmf too will be great.

      I work as a function specifier,and am not a 'programmer'..so, I just
      say what I need:)

      Can someone direct me?

      Thanks
      Nev
    • ddailey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2008
        Hi Neville,

        I think that getting information to and from the Clipboard in SVG is likely to be difficult -- especially if you want your page to work across browsers. Without programming, I suspect you will find yourself rather stuck, and even with it, you may learn to curse like the proverbial sailor.

        Accessing the clipboard within the browser can be done but I think inelegantly. See http://ntt.cc/2008/01/19/copy-paste-javascript-codes-ie-firefox-opera.html for some rather complex code that appears to do it across browsers (I haven't tried it myself). I would not be surprised if the W3C has some working group devoted just to copy and paste* , but I think the HTML5 folks are talking about standardization of methods for copying and pasting consistently across browsers.

        In my VML days, I did some stuff that used the clipboard to export content --if you are in the IE only world, see http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/javascript/clipboard.html or http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/grapher/grapher.96.html . But even there one has to do some scripting to bring the drawn objects into the realm of native clipboard data -- through "serializing" or converting the SVG or VML or XML document to an ascii string.

        See http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVG_serialize.html for a page that successfully converts a very simple SVG document to an HTML readable text string displayed in a textarea. I think I have a recursive version that handles deeper files around someplace, but I seem to have misplaced it.

        This last thing works in all four of the major SVG browsers (Firefox, IE/ASV, Opera and Safari) and probably represents a plausible way to import and export SVG data since, at least, it gets the stuff to HTML. -- absent a <textarea> in SVG1.1 you may want to just rely on an HTML <textarea> to provide the intermediary. In terms of going from SVG data provided by an application -- you'd probably have to first get the SVG into source code from your application, then bring it via clipboard into HTML, whence squeeze the thing into an SVG <object> (or <embed>) -- sorta like here http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/javascript/markup6.html

        All this involves lots of gnarly code. Hopefully our colleagues on this list can point to something a good deal less complex, since it is something, I'm sure others besides just you and me would like to be able to do with a minimum of mess.

        cheers,
        David

        * since they seem to have a working group for just about everything else -- although now that I think about it, it may be best to separate the two since the sorts of people who do copying probably belong to a different guild than those who paste. (just kidding)

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
          david,

          I'm not clear why copy and paste isn't just text.

          is there a simple introduction to how we got in this mess?

          I recently filed a bug with Amaya on this very issue, not realising
          it was widespread ~:"

          cheers

          Jonathan Chetwynd
          Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
            Hello:)
            Is the Amaya being referred to the embroidery people??
            Our program is an embroidery application..I did write to Adobe to check whether I can get a component to import/export or copy/paste ai/eps/emf/wmf/svg between applications..Its possible to create the capability with Leadtools for a few industry standards, but Im just checking if its possible to do it without reinventing the wheel so to speak.
            Having the capability to import vector images is quite important..the problem is with competitor graphic applications, the filestructures keep changing,although emf and a few others seems to remain quite standard.

            Im hoping I can get some affirmative response from Adobe,because that might assist in a big way..ai/eps are widely used formats.

            I did see some components, but just checking for the best one to suit our purposes..

            Life would be simpler if there was a 'standard' but with all the competing graphics developers, it would seem that this would be impossible:)

            bye
            Nevi

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2008
              Thank you!

              _____

              What I need to do, is to be able to copy/paste svg images between
              applications..eg from Coreldraw/to Coreldraw etc..

              Does anyone have a component to simply add this capability to an
              application? If theres something that handles multiple types like
              emf /wmf too will be great.

              I work as a function specifier,and am not a 'programmer'..so, I just
              say what I need:)

              Can someone direct me?

              Thanks
              Nev

            • Charles McCathieNevile
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 18, 2008
                On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:17:47 +0100, Conference <conf@...> wrote:

                > Thank you!
                > From: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
                > [mailto:svg-developers@yahoogroups.com]
                > On Behalf Of ddailey
                > Accessing the clipboard within the browser can be done but I think
                > inelegantly. See http://ntt.cc/
                > <http://ntt.cc/2008/01/19/copy-paste-javascript-codes-ie-firefox-opera.html>
                > 2008/01/19/copy-paste-javascript-codes-ie-firefox-opera.html for some
                > rather
                > complex code that appears to do it across browsers (I haven't tried it
                > myself). I would not be surprised if the W3C has some working group
                > devoted
                > just to copy and paste*

                Actually, it has a specification on clipboard apis [1] which is meant to
                cover copy/paste and drag/drop. Unfortunately at the moment the
                specification editors have no time to work on it, so it is looking for new
                editors. If you're interested, feel free to join the WebAPI group (if you
                work for a W3C member) or apply for invited expert status (if not - in
                which case write to me as the chair).

                [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/clipboard-apis/

                cheers

                Chaals

                --
                Charles McCathieNevile Opera Software, Standards Group
                http://my.opera.com/chaals Try Opera 9.5: http://snapshot.opera.com