postURL doesn't work in FF2 +ASV 6

  • RODOLFO MORENO LLACZA
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2008
      hi ALL,
      I have FF2 and I have set svg.enabled = false (this using about:config) in order to disabled the own support for SVG of FF and I have installed the ASV 6 plugin.

      getURL method is working fine but postURL method doesn't work.

      however getURL and postURL working fine with IE7 + ASV3. (I have tested one week ago)

      I don't know which is the error or maybe is an ASV6 bug

      the way how I am calling this method is:
      postURL(url,params,getURLCallback,'application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=utf-8');

      thanks in advantage
      RODOLFO

    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2008
        Hi Rodolfo,

        ASV6 was never properly tested and there are known issues with
        Firefox.

        Firefox, however, has its own native SVG support and Firefox3 (soon
        to be released) has improved in SVG substantially.

        So I really recommend not relying on ASV for Firefox.

        In Opera, Safari and Firefox you can use the XMLHttpRequest to do
        network requests. See http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/
        network_requests/index.shtml for a wrapper function around getURL
        (for ASV and Batik) and XMLHttpRequest for other web-browsers.

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, RODOLFO MORENO LLACZA
        <rodolfoamoreno@...> wrote:

        > hi ALL,
        > I have FF2 and I have set svg.enabled = false (this using
        about:config) in order to disabled the own support for SVG of FF and
        I have installed the ASV 6 plugin.

        > getURL method is working fine but postURL method doesn't work.
        >
        > however getURL and postURL working fine with IE7 + ASV3. (I have
        tested one week ago)

        > I don't know which is the error or maybe is an ASV6 bug
        >
        > the way how I am calling this method is:
        > postURL(url,params,getURLCallback,'application/x-www-form-
        urlencoded; charset=utf-8');

        > thanks in advantage
        > RODOLFO

      • "~:'' ありがとうございました
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2008
          Rudolfo,

          you might want to consider xmlhttprequest depending exactly what you
          are doing...

          an example is here:
          http://peepo.getmyip.com/~JonathanChetwynd/zanadu.svg

          a rather ancient introduction was here:
          http://www.jibbering.com/2002/4/httprequest.html
          however it seems to be offline at the moment....

          regards

          Jonathan Chetwynd
          Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2008
            Thanks Andreas and Jonathan,
            I have already implemented the support for FF with its own native SVG for my application. the problem is that
            is too slow. Which is why I wanted to use the ASV 6 in FF.

            I would like to know whether there is some way of doing that the own native SVG of Firefox to be faster.
            I have a GIS application. The loading of the layers are a little slow, but mouseover event is really slow that it seems like a
            defect of my aplication in my tooltip functions.

            <rodolfoamoreno@ ...> wrote:

            > hi ALL,
            > I have FF2 and I have set svg.enabled = false (this using
            about:config) in order to disabled the own support for SVG of FF and
            I have installed the ASV 6 plugin.

            > getURL method is working fine but postURL method doesn't work.
            >
            > however getURL and postURL working fine with IE7 + ASV3. (I have
            tested one week ago)

            > I don't know which is the error or maybe is an ASV6 bug
            >
            > the way how I am calling this method is:
            > postURL(url, params,getURLCal lback,'applicati on/x-www- form-
            urlencoded; charset=utf- 8');

            > thanks in advantage
            > RODOLFO

            > http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

          • "~:'' ありがとうございました
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2008
              Rodolfo,

              if you could point us to a URI?

              opacity was a known ff problem, if there's much of it...

              filters also can be slow...

              did you try opera or safari-webkit?

              could you use css for mouseover? eg like this:
              http://www.peepo.co.uk/temp/moulin/moulin.svg

              <rodolfoamoreno@ ...> wrote:

              > hi ALL,
              > I have FF2 and I have set svg.enabled = false (this using
              about:config) in order to disabled the own support for SVG of FF and
              I have installed the ASV 6 plugin.

              > getURL method is working fine but postURL method doesn't work.
              >
              > however getURL and postURL working fine with IE7 + ASV3. (I have
              tested one week ago)

              > I don't know which is the error or maybe is an ASV6 bug
              >
              > the way how I am calling this method is:
              > postURL(url, params,getURLCal lback,'applicati on/x-www- form-
              urlencoded; charset=utf- 8');

              > thanks in advantage
              > RODOLFO

              > http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

            • RODOLFO MORENO LLACZA
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
                Jonathan, sorry for my delay.

                The company, where I work, don't have a public URL.
                Maps that I have in my application are quite heavy, for instances a map can be:
                - World layer, is a heavy layer (it has 500kb aprox.)
                - Usa states layer, also is heavy layer
                - California counties layer.

                In this map you can do thematic query, navigation options, layer management, etc.

                thanns for your attention
                RODOLFO