Re: Pretty printer for Windows, Batik

  • Frank Bruder
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
      Here you are:
      http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/scripting/batikinstall.html

      Given the stated intend of that tutorial it will probably need some
      improvement ... by someone else than me. Or at least I'm not going to
      have the time to do much for it soon.

      Regards
      Frank

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas
      Neumann" <neumann@...> wrote:

      > Hi Frank,
      >
      > This is a very good idea. Could you describe this technique in more
      > detail, either on the Batik wikie, the SVG wiki or on your own
      > website/blog?
      >
      > I'd be interested to use this or propose it to colleagues who work
      > primarily on Windows, but I am not very skilled in Windows. So I
      > can't do it based on your explanation below.
      >
      > I am pretty sure one can do the same thing on KDE/Gnome or in
      MacOSX.

      > It would certainly make life easier when being able to trigger
      > viewing an SVG file, converting fonts, pretty printing and
      > rasterizing directly out of the file manager - be it on Windows,
      Mac
      > or Linux.
      >
      > So if you could provide a more complete description on how to
      achieve
      > this, it would really help.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Andreas
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bruder" <redurbf@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Or you can write a batch file with your favoured options and %1
      in
      > > place of FILES and add it as an action for the file type SVG.
      This

      "mikh2161" <mhorvath2161@>

      > > > minimal
      > > if
      > > > it

      > it
      > > in
      > > the

    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
        Thank you frank for this thorough Tutorial! I will test it on my
        Windows box and report if it works fine or if I have problems.

        This will definitely help making the use of SVG files more
        comfortable on Windows.

        wrote:

> [...]
        drag
        > > > files from the Windows-Explorer to Squiggle. I think this is a
        > > > limitation of Java's swing toolkit or of Java per se(?)
        Anyways,
        > > it's
        > > > quite a drawback to effectively working with Squiggle, when you
        > > need
        > > > the file dialogue each time you wish to open a document. Using
        > the
        > > > tools you need from the context menu is easier. Once you've got
        > the
        > > > necessary setup done, that is.
        > > >
        > > > I don't want to advocate against using Batik. It's just not as
        > self-
        > > > explanatory as we are used to from windows applications. Still
        > easy
        > > > to use, but not the kind of easy which non-savvy users need no

      • Cameron McCormack
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
          Frank Bruder:
          > Here you are:
          > http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/scripting/batikinstall.html
          >
          > Given the stated intend of that tutorial it will probably need some
          > improvement ... by someone else than me. Or at least I'm not going to
          > have the time to do much for it soon.

          As Andreas said, nice tutorial! I’ve put a link to it on Batik’s wiki.

          --
          Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/
          xmpp:heycam@... ▪ ICQ 26955922 ▪ MSN cam@...
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
            > Here you are:
            > http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/scripting/batikinstall.html

            Nice tutorial! :-)

            Few tips I'd like to share:

            1. Install Location:

            «For the remainder of this document I assume that you now create a new
            folder named `Batik' in C:\Programs and extract the archive with the
            Batik binary to C:\Programs\Batik. I also assume that the Batik
            version you use is 1.7. If any of these assumptions is not true then
            you will need to adapt the instructions slightly to use different paths.»

            Although having Batik installed to a new folder named
            "C:\Programs\Batik", I believe using default Program Files location
            would be even nicer. Also, IMHO creating "Batik" folder brings no
            additional value (and if so, "Apache" would be more natural). To
            accomplish it:

            1.1. Always use quotes ("") surrounding all paths. This avoids issues
            when path has spaces ("Program Files" for example).
            1.2. Use environment variable "%ProgramFiles%" instead of
            "C:\Programs". This will make the install location more natural
            (locale-dependent, default program files location).

            So, for example, "svg2png.bat" would become:
            java -jar "%ProgramFiles%\batik-1.7\batik-rasterizer.jar" -m image/png
            -scripts text/ecmascript -onload %1

            Regards,

            Helder Magalhães
          • Frank Bruder
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 15, 2008
              Thanks for your tips. I've implemented them now.

              Regards
              Frank

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Helder Magalhães