Pretty printer for Windows

  • mikh2161
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 21, 2008
      Does anyone know of a free SVG pretty printer that works with minimal
      setup on Windows? I've found the one by Batik, but I'm not sure if it
      works on Windows or if installation is easy.

      I figured out that if you rename the SVG file to XML and open it in
      Internet Explorer, the file will be displayed using attractive
      formatting. However, I don't believe you can simply copy/paste the
      text, as the displayed file doesn't simply use whitespace for
      indentation.

      -Mike
    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
        Batiks pretty printer works fine on Windows and is actually easy to
        use:

        java -jar batik-svgpp.jar [OPTIONS] FILES

        See http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/tools/pretty-printer.html

        Installing the Batik binaries is as easy as unzipping a zip archive,
        assuming you already have a java runtime engine installed.

        Batik Squiggle, the SVG viewer, also has a save as option with the
        pretty printer.

        Hope this helps,
        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "mikh2161" <mhorvath2161@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a free SVG pretty printer that works with
        minimal
        > setup on Windows? I've found the one by Batik, but I'm not sure if
        it
        > works on Windows or if installation is easy.
        >
        > I figured out that if you rename the SVG file to XML and open it in
        > Internet Explorer, the file will be displayed using attractive
        > formatting. However, I don't believe you can simply copy/paste the
        > text, as the displayed file doesn't simply use whitespace for
        > indentation.
        >
        > -Mike

      • Frank Bruder
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
          Or you can write a batch file with your favoured options and %1 in
          place of FILES and add it as an action for the file type SVG. This
          way you can just right click on an SVG file and start the pretty
          printer from the context menu. I don't use pretty printer, but that's
          the way I use ttf2svg and the Batik rasterizer for conversion to PNG
          or PDF.

          But the point is, if you don't want to use Batik from the command
          line only---and after all: What's Windows good for if you always need
          the command line for such simple tasks?---then setting up Batik is a
          bit more work and requires some bit of knowledge about Windows. It's
          still very easy actually. Just, you might need some help to learn
          what can be done and how.

          Using Squiggle as a GUI would appear to be the most convenient way to
          use Batik. But I don't think it is. Because you can't simply drag
          files from the Windows-Explorer to Squiggle. I think this is a
          limitation of Java's swing toolkit or of Java per se(?) Anyways, it's
          quite a drawback to effectively working with Squiggle, when you need
          the file dialogue each time you wish to open a document. Using the
          tools you need from the context menu is easier. Once you've got the
          necessary setup done, that is.

          I don't want to advocate against using Batik. It's just not as self-
          explanatory as we are used to from windows applications. Still easy
          to use, but not the kind of easy which non-savvy users need no help
          with.

          Regards

          Frank

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas
          Neumann" <neumann@...> wrote:

          > Batiks pretty printer works fine on Windows and is actually easy to
          > use:
          >
          > java -jar batik-svgpp.jar [OPTIONS] FILES
          >
          > See http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/tools/pretty-printer.html
          >
          > Installing the Batik binaries is as easy as unzipping a zip
          archive,
          > assuming you already have a java runtime engine installed.
          >
          > Batik Squiggle, the SVG viewer, also has a save as option with the
          > pretty printer.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Andreas
          >

          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "mikh2161" <mhorvath2161@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know of a free SVG pretty printer that works with
          > minimal
          > > setup on Windows? I've found the one by Batik, but I'm not sure
          if
          > it
          > > works on Windows or if installation is easy.
          > >
          > > I figured out that if you rename the SVG file to XML and open it
          in
          > > Internet Explorer, the file will be displayed using attractive
          > > formatting. However, I don't believe you can simply copy/paste
          the
          > > text, as the displayed file doesn't simply use whitespace for
          > > indentation.
          > >
          > > -Mike

        • Andreas Neumann
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 22, 2008
            Hi Frank,

            This is a very good idea. Could you describe this technique in more
            detail, either on the Batik wikie, the SVG wiki or on your own
            website/blog?

            I'd be interested to use this or propose it to colleagues who work
            primarily on Windows, but I am not very skilled in Windows. So I
            can't do it based on your explanation below.

            I am pretty sure one can do the same thing on KDE/Gnome or in MacOSX.

            It would certainly make life easier when being able to trigger
            viewing an SVG file, converting fonts, pretty printing and
            rasterizing directly out of the file manager - be it on Windows, Mac
            or Linux.

            So if you could provide a more complete description on how to achieve
            this, it would really help.

            Thanks,
            Andreas

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bruder" <redurbf@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > pretty printer.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps,
            > > Andreas
            > >

            > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "mikh2161" <mhorvath2161@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone know of a free SVG pretty printer that works with
            > > minimal
            > > > setup on Windows? I've found the one by Batik, but I'm not sure
            > if
            > > it
            > > > works on Windows or if installation is easy.
            > > >
            > > > I figured out that if you rename the SVG file to XML and open
            it
            > in
            > > > Internet Explorer, the file will be displayed using attractive
            > > > formatting. However, I don't believe you can simply copy/paste
            > the
            > > > text, as the displayed file doesn't simply use whitespace for

          • mikh2161
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
              wrote:
              > Installing the Batik binaries is as easy as unzipping a zip archive,
              > assuming you already have a java runtime engine installed.

              The installation instructions
              (http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/install.html) were a bit to
              complicated for me to follow. Could you describe it in simpler terms,
              please?
            • Cameron McCormack
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                mikh2161:
                > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann" <neumann@...>
                > wrote:
                > > Installing the Batik binaries is as easy as unzipping a zip archive,
                > > assuming you already have a java runtime engine installed.
                >
                > The installation instructions
                > (http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/install.html) were a bit to
                > complicated for me to follow. Could you describe it in simpler terms,
                > please?

                1. Install Java if you don’t already have it.
                2. Download the binary distribution (batik-1.7.zip).
                3. If you worry that the mirror that you grab it from could possibly
                have tampered with it, run some md5sum checking program against the
                .zip file and compare it with the checksum stored in
                batik-1.7.zip.md5.
                4. Unzip the .zip file.
                5. Double click on batik.jar to run Squiggle.

                --
                Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/
                xmpp:heycam@... ▪ ICQ 26955922 ▪ MSN cam@...
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Cameron McCormack <cam@...>
                  wrote:

                  > mikh2161:
                  > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
                  <neumann@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Installing the Batik binaries is as easy as unzipping a zip
                  archive,
                  > > > assuming you already have a java runtime engine installed.
                  > >
                  > > The installation instructions
                  > > (http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/install.html) were a bit to
                  > > complicated for me to follow. Could you describe it in simpler
                  terms,
                  > > please?
                  >
                  > 1. Install Java if you don’t already have it.
                  > 2. Download the binary distribution (batik-1.7.zip).
                  > 3. If you worry that the mirror that you grab it from could
                  possibly
                  > have tampered with it, run some md5sum checking program
                  against the
                  > .zip file and compare it with the checksum stored in
                  > batik-1.7.zip.md5.
                  > 4. Unzip the .zip file.
                  > 5. Double click on batik.jar to run Squiggle.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/
                  > xmpp:heycam@... ▪ ICQ 26955922 ▪ MSN cam@...

                  Thanks for the instructions.
                • Frank Bruder
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
                    Here you are:
                    http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/scripting/batikinstall.html

                    Given the stated intend of that tutorial it will probably need some
                    improvement ... by someone else than me. Or at least I'm not going to
                    have the time to do much for it soon.

                    Neumann" <neumann@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > explanatory as we are used to from windows applications. Still
                    easy
                    > > to use, but not the kind of easy which non-savvy users need no
                    help
                    > > with.
                    > >

                    > > Regards
                    > >
                    > > Frank
                    > >
                    > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas
                    > > Neumann" <neumann@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Batiks pretty printer works fine on Windows and is actually
                    easy
                    > > > use:
                    > > >
                    > > > java -jar batik-svgpp.jar [OPTIONS] FILES
                    > > >
                    > > > See http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/tools/pretty-
                    printer.html

                    > > > Installing the Batik binaries is as easy as unzipping a zip
                    > > archive,
                    > > > assuming you already have a java runtime engine installed.
                    > > >
                    > > > Batik Squiggle, the SVG viewer, also has a save as option with

                  • Andreas Neumann
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
                      Thank you frank for this thorough Tutorial! I will test it on my
                      Windows box and report if it works fine or if I have problems.

                      This will definitely help making the use of SVG files more
                      comfortable on Windows.

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      drag
                      > > > files from the Windows-Explorer to Squiggle. I think this is a
                      > > > limitation of Java's swing toolkit or of Java per se(?)
                      Anyways,
                      > > it's
                      > > > quite a drawback to effectively working with Squiggle, when you
                      > > need
                      > > > the file dialogue each time you wish to open a document. Using
                      > the
                      > > > tools you need from the context menu is easier. Once you've got
                      > the
                      > > > necessary setup done, that is.
                      > > >
                      > > > I don't want to advocate against using Batik. It's just not as
                      > self-
                      > > > explanatory as we are used to from windows applications. Still
                      > easy
                      > > > to use, but not the kind of easy which non-savvy users need no

                    • Cameron McCormack
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
                        Frank Bruder:
                        > Here you are:
                        > http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/scripting/batikinstall.html
                        >
                        > Given the stated intend of that tutorial it will probably need some
                        > improvement ... by someone else than me. Or at least I'm not going to
                        > have the time to do much for it soon.

                        As Andreas said, nice tutorial! I’ve put a link to it on Batik’s wiki.

                        --
                        Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/
                        xmpp:heycam@... ▪ ICQ 26955922 ▪ MSN cam@...
                      • Helder Magalhães
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
                          > Here you are:
                          > http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/scripting/batikinstall.html

                          Nice tutorial! :-)

                          Few tips I'd like to share:

                          1. Install Location:

                          «For the remainder of this document I assume that you now create a new
                          folder named `Batik' in C:\Programs and extract the archive with the
                          Batik binary to C:\Programs\Batik. I also assume that the Batik
                          version you use is 1.7. If any of these assumptions is not true then
                          you will need to adapt the instructions slightly to use different paths.»

                          Although having Batik installed to a new folder named
                          "C:\Programs\Batik", I believe using default Program Files location
                          would be even nicer. Also, IMHO creating "Batik" folder brings no
                          additional value (and if so, "Apache" would be more natural). To
                          accomplish it:

                          1.1. Always use quotes ("") surrounding all paths. This avoids issues
                          when path has spaces ("Program Files" for example).
                          1.2. Use environment variable "%ProgramFiles%" instead of
                          "C:\Programs". This will make the install location more natural
                          (locale-dependent, default program files location).

                          So, for example, "svg2png.bat" would become:
                          java -jar "%ProgramFiles%\batik-1.7\batik-rasterizer.jar" -m image/png
                          -scripts text/ecmascript -onload %1

                          Regards,

                          Helder Magalhães
                        • Frank Bruder
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 15, 2008
                            Thanks for your tips. I've implemented them now.

                            Regards
                            Frank

                            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Helder Magalhães