Re: Converting SVG to PDF

  • Richard Pearman
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008

      I downloaded the perl version of this script but it seems short on
      documentation. The website says that you need Acrobat Reader 5 and
      the Image Viewer 4.0 plug in to view the resulting files. However the
      samples work with Adobe Reader 8 (actually that's a good thing).
      What I'd like to know is if it can handle svgz files or just svg?
      Can it handle more complicated SVG features (filters, SMIL -
      obviously it handles some animation and interactivity as they're in
      the examples). Can it deal with external files: CSS, JS, various
      image formats? I suppose I could spend ages experimenting and
      conclude something doesn't work when I was just doing it wrong or
      there's an easy work-around but it's quicker and possibly more
      accurate to ask.

      Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
      The next stage in the evolution of web comics:
      http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Ronan Oger <lists@...> wrote:

      > Hi Richard,
      >
      > http://jan.kollhof.net/projects/svg/svgpdf/index.xhtml
      >
      > You can embed svg into pdf aimed at the Acrobat reader...Maybe that
      would be
      > easier for you?
      >
      > Ronan
    • John Delacour
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008
        Resuming a question I have let lie for nearly a year ...

        At 07:13 -0500 2/1/08, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

        >...There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF with
        >full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997, though it's
        >no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe Illustrator on the
        >commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
        >operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct from
        >SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the market.

        Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
        and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
        in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
        file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
        surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
        in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.

        Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
        conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
        does not use it?

        JD
      • Robert Longson
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

          > Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
          > and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
          > in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
          > file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
          > surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
          > in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.
          >
          > Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
          > conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
          > does not use it?

          Firefox uses cairo.

          Best regards

          Robert.
        • Helder Magalhães
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 2, 2008
            > >Can you explain why nobody has yet produced software to convert SVG
            > >to a PDF vector format?

            Well, although Apache XML graphics was already partially referred [1]
            (through Apache FOP [2]), I'd like to leave a more direct link to the
            SVG "rasterizer" of the Batik project [3].

            Hope this helps,

            Helder Magalhães

            [2] http://wiki.svg.org/Other_Implementations#SVG_to_PDF
            [3] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/tools/rasterizer.html
          • Kenneth Nellis
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 4, 2008
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

              > Resuming a question I have let lie for nearly a year ...
              >
              > At 23:15 +0000 1/1/08, John Delacour wrote:
              >
              > >Can you explain why nobody has yet produced software to convert SVG
              > >to a PDF vector format?
              >
              > At 07:13 -0500 2/1/08, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
              >
              > >...There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF with
              > >full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997, though it's
              > >no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe Illustrator on the
              > >commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
              > >operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct from
              > >SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the market.
              >
              > Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
              > and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
              > in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
              > file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
              > surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
              > in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.
              >
              > Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
              > conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
              > does not use it?
              >
              > JD

              You can create PDF files of SVG from Safari?? Please, tell me the trick. I just get a blank
              page except for the page headers, the same as when I do Print Preview. FWIW, I'm running
              OS X 10.4, Safari 3.2.1 with the ASV 3.0 plugin. BTW, Firefox 3.0.4 works fine.

              Here's a sample file:
              http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg

              —Ken, new member, stereogram enthusiast
            • John Delacour
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 23, 2008
                At 01:50 +0000 5/12/08, Kenneth Nellis wrote:

                >You can create PDF files of SVG from Safari?? Please, tell me the
                >trick. I just get a blank page except for the page headers, the same
                >as when I do Print Preview. FWIW, I'm running OS X 10.4, Safari
                >3.2.1 with the ASV 3.0 plugin. BTW, Firefox 3.0.4 works fine.
                >
                >Here's a sample file:
                ><http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg>http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg

                Sorry for the delay in replying -- I don't read all the postings religiously.

                I had no trouble creating the vector pdf file from your link in
                Safari using the Print/Save as PDF... option. Perhaps you need to
                change your page set-up or something.

                As to the ASV plug-in, surely that has nothing to do with it. Surely
                Safari is now self-sufficient for SVG?

                Robert Longson replied to my query that FireFox uses Cairo for the
                conversion. How Safari does it I don't know. I have since installed
                Cairo on the Mac, not without a lot of difficulty, and see that it is
                not a complete solution, since attributes such as opacity are not
                respected, but anything is better than a rasterized output.

                JD
              • Kenneth Nellis
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 24, 2008
                  Yeah, the problem was ASV. As soon as I removed it, I could print SVG
                  just fine. I had been using ASV for its support of SMIL, but Andreas
                  directed me to WebKit, which seems to do SMIL just fine, so no more
                  ASV. :-)
                  http://nightly.webkit.org/
                  Thanx for your response!
                  �Ken