Re: [svg-developers] Re: Converting SVG to PDF

  • Leonard Rosenthol
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
      Richard, if your users are working with older versions of Adobe Reader, you
      could (as noted) embed the SVG into the PDF and expect Reader to play it
      (with full animation, etc.). However, Adobe Reader 8.1 no longer fully
      supports this on all platforms.

      Going forward, my recommendation is to convert to another media format that
      can be embedded into PDF and played via an external player, such as
      Flash/SWF, QuickTime, or Windows Media.

      Leonard

      On 1/2/08, Richard Pearman <richard@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I started this thread with the main objective of producing PDF
      > versions of my SVG comics (which are rather complicated, with
      > filters, interactivity, animation etc.) so I could put them on
      > wowio. I have no interest in DFX but it may be a means to some end
      > and I can't speak for other people.
      >
      > I didn't know you could save SVG files as PDF using Inkscape. The
      > files I want to convert have features which Inkscape doesn't support
      > (e.g. animation, JavaScript). I tried converting one of my comics and
      > it looked better in the Adobe Reader than in Inkscape although the
      > interactivity didn't work (therefore I couldn't test SMIL) and it
      > didn't seem to be appliying external CSS styles. A lot of the
      > Javascript is also in external files so this may be the problem
      > rather than Inkscape or PDF not supporting it. Before I spend a lot
      > of time experimenting, does anybody know if and how you can have
      > filters, images, SMIL and Javascript in PDF converted by Inkscape. Is
      > there some other cheap or free converter which will handle this
      > better?
      >
      > Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
      > The next stage in the evolution of web comics:
      > http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415
      >
      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com <svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Leonard Rosenthol"
      > <leonardr@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey John - Happy New Year, back at you!
      > >
      > > There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF
      > with
      > > full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997,
      > though it's
      > > no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe
      > Illustrator on the
      > > commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
      > > operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct
      > from
      > > SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the
      > market.
      > >
      > > Leonard

    • Richard Pearman
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hi,

        I downloaded the perl version of this script but it seems short on
        documentation. The website says that you need Acrobat Reader 5 and
        the Image Viewer 4.0 plug in to view the resulting files. However the
        samples work with Adobe Reader 8 (actually that's a good thing).
        What I'd like to know is if it can handle svgz files or just svg?
        Can it handle more complicated SVG features (filters, SMIL -
        obviously it handles some animation and interactivity as they're in
        the examples). Can it deal with external files: CSS, JS, various
        image formats? I suppose I could spend ages experimenting and
        conclude something doesn't work when I was just doing it wrong or
        there's an easy work-around but it's quicker and possibly more
        accurate to ask.

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Ronan Oger <lists@...> wrote:

        > Hi Richard,
        >
        > http://jan.kollhof.net/projects/svg/svgpdf/index.xhtml
        >
        > You can embed svg into pdf aimed at the Acrobat reader...Maybe that
        would be
        > easier for you?
        >
        > Ronan
      • John Delacour
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008
          Resuming a question I have let lie for nearly a year ...

          At 07:13 -0500 2/1/08, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

          >...There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF with
          >full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997, though it's
          >no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe Illustrator on the
          >commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
          >operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct from
          >SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the market.

          Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
          and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
          in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
          file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
          surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
          in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.

          Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
          conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
          does not use it?

          JD
        • Robert Longson
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

            > Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
            > and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
            > in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
            > file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
            > surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
            > in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.
            >
            > Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
            > conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
            > does not use it?

            Firefox uses cairo.

            Best regards

            Robert.
          • Helder Magalhães
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 2 2:24 AM
              > >Can you explain why nobody has yet produced software to convert SVG
              > >to a PDF vector format?

              Well, although Apache XML graphics was already partially referred [1]
              (through Apache FOP [2]), I'd like to leave a more direct link to the
              SVG "rasterizer" of the Batik project [3].

              Hope this helps,

              Helder Magalhães

              [2] http://wiki.svg.org/Other_Implementations#SVG_to_PDF
              [3] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/tools/rasterizer.html
            • Kenneth Nellis
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 4 5:50 PM
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

                > Resuming a question I have let lie for nearly a year ...
                >
                > At 23:15 +0000 1/1/08, John Delacour wrote:
                >
                > >Can you explain why nobody has yet produced software to convert SVG
                > >to a PDF vector format?
                >
                > At 07:13 -0500 2/1/08, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
                >
                > >...There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF with
                > >full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997, though it's
                > >no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe Illustrator on the
                > >commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
                > >operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct from
                > >SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the market.
                >
                > Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
                > and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
                > in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
                > file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
                > surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
                > in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.
                >
                > Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
                > conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
                > does not use it?
                >
                > JD

                You can create PDF files of SVG from Safari?? Please, tell me the trick. I just get a blank
                page except for the page headers, the same as when I do Print Preview. FWIW, I'm running
                OS X 10.4, Safari 3.2.1 with the ASV 3.0 plugin. BTW, Firefox 3.0.4 works fine.

                Here's a sample file:
                http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg

                —Ken, new member, stereogram enthusiast
              • John Delacour
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 23 11:53 AM
                  At 01:50 +0000 5/12/08, Kenneth Nellis wrote:

                  >You can create PDF files of SVG from Safari?? Please, tell me the
                  >trick. I just get a blank page except for the page headers, the same
                  >as when I do Print Preview. FWIW, I'm running OS X 10.4, Safari
                  >3.2.1 with the ASV 3.0 plugin. BTW, Firefox 3.0.4 works fine.
                  >
                  >Here's a sample file:
                  ><http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg>http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg

                  Sorry for the delay in replying -- I don't read all the postings religiously.

                  I had no trouble creating the vector pdf file from your link in
                  Safari using the Print/Save as PDF... option. Perhaps you need to
                  change your page set-up or something.

                  As to the ASV plug-in, surely that has nothing to do with it. Surely
                  Safari is now self-sufficient for SVG?

                  Robert Longson replied to my query that FireFox uses Cairo for the
                  conversion. How Safari does it I don't know. I have since installed
                  Cairo on the Mac, not without a lot of difficulty, and see that it is
                  not a complete solution, since attributes such as opacity are not
                  respected, but anything is better than a rasterized output.

                  JD
                • Kenneth Nellis
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 24 10:40 AM
                    Yeah, the problem was ASV. As soon as I removed it, I could print SVG
                    just fine. I had been using ASV for its support of SMIL, but Andreas
                    directed me to WebKit, which seems to do SMIL just fine, so no more
                    ASV. :-)
                    http://nightly.webkit.org/
                    Thanx for your response!
                    �Ken