Re: [svg-developers] Re: Converting SVG to PDF

  • Ronan Oger
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi Richard,

      http://jan.kollhof.net/projects/svg/svgpdf/index.xhtml

      You can embed svg into pdf aimed at the Acrobat reader...Maybe that would be
      easier for you?

      Ronan

      --
      Ronan Oger lailing list account
      http://www.roitsystems.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hi, Leonard-

        Leonard Rosenthol wrote (on 12/26/07 10:28 PM):
        > On 12/20/07, Erik Dahlström <ed@...> wrote:
        >> Not sure you have to convert the SVG:s. A quick search for "pdf embed svg"
        >> gives you a couple of examples
        >
        > Some of other methods were dropped by Adobe in Acrobat 7, and the
        > rest in Acrobat 8.1. Use of these methods is officially deprecated in
        > the version of the PDF Reference that is now under the auspices of the
        > ISO.

        Thanks for the information; it's good for developers have a clear
        message about what will and will not work. Do you have a reference to
        the list of deprecated features? For instance, can authors still embed
        static SVG?

        Can you provide any insight into why this functionality was dropped? It
        did work at one point, and you seem to imply dynamic, interactive
        features still work with Flash in PDF, so it doesn't seem the answer is
        technical... is there any way to convince Adobe to put this
        functionality back in? Perhaps the next version of the ISO spec could
        have it included again?

        It's very disappointing that Adobe has removed support for features
        which they were chiefly responsible for putting in SVG in the first place.

        Regards-
        -Doug
      • Leonard Rosenthol
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
          Acrobat never differentiated between "static" and "dynamic" SVG, it simply
          fed embedded SVG through an included copy of the Adobe SVG Viewer. We are
          no longer including ASV with Acrobat and thus ALL SVG functionality has been
          deprecated.

          Why are we no longer including ASV? A variety of reasons including (but
          not limited to)
          * trying to reduce the delivery size of Adobe Reader (a frequent complaint
          from customers),
          * since we no longer maintain ASV, we have problems with Leopard and Vista

          It is certainly possible that since ISO now owns PDF, they may choose to
          re-introduce SVG into PDF - either as it was before or perhaps as part of a
          conversion to XML similar to our own Mars project. I would certainly
          recommend that anyone interested please join the ISO committee and make
          their desires heard.

          Leonard Rosenthol
          Adobe Systems

          On 1/2/08, Doug Schepers <doug@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Leonard-
          >
          > Leonard Rosenthol wrote (on 12/26/07 10:28 PM):
          > > On 12/20/07, Erik Dahlström <ed@... <ed%40opera.com>> wrote:
          > >> Not sure you have to convert the SVG:s. A quick search for "pdf embed
          > svg"
          > >> gives you a couple of examples
          > >
          > > Some of other methods were dropped by Adobe in Acrobat 7, and the
          > > rest in Acrobat 8.1. Use of these methods is officially deprecated in
          > > the version of the PDF Reference that is now under the auspices of the
          > > ISO.
          >
          > Thanks for the information; it's good for developers have a clear
          > message about what will and will not work. Do you have a reference to
          > the list of deprecated features? For instance, can authors still embed
          > static SVG?
          >
          > Can you provide any insight into why this functionality was dropped? It
          > did work at one point, and you seem to imply dynamic, interactive
          > features still work with Flash in PDF, so it doesn't seem the answer is
          > technical... is there any way to convince Adobe to put this
          > functionality back in? Perhaps the next version of the ISO spec could
          > have it included again?
          >
          > It's very disappointing that Adobe has removed support for features
          > which they were chiefly responsible for putting in SVG in the first place.
          >
          > Regards-
          > -Doug

        • Leonard Rosenthol
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
            Richard, if your users are working with older versions of Adobe Reader, you
            could (as noted) embed the SVG into the PDF and expect Reader to play it
            (with full animation, etc.). However, Adobe Reader 8.1 no longer fully
            supports this on all platforms.

            Going forward, my recommendation is to convert to another media format that
            can be embedded into PDF and played via an external player, such as
            Flash/SWF, QuickTime, or Windows Media.

            Leonard

            On 1/2/08, Richard Pearman <richard@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I started this thread with the main objective of producing PDF
            > versions of my SVG comics (which are rather complicated, with
            > filters, interactivity, animation etc.) so I could put them on
            > wowio. I have no interest in DFX but it may be a means to some end
            > and I can't speak for other people.
            >
            > I didn't know you could save SVG files as PDF using Inkscape. The
            > files I want to convert have features which Inkscape doesn't support
            > (e.g. animation, JavaScript). I tried converting one of my comics and
            > it looked better in the Adobe Reader than in Inkscape although the
            > interactivity didn't work (therefore I couldn't test SMIL) and it
            > didn't seem to be appliying external CSS styles. A lot of the
            > Javascript is also in external files so this may be the problem
            > rather than Inkscape or PDF not supporting it. Before I spend a lot
            > of time experimenting, does anybody know if and how you can have
            > filters, images, SMIL and Javascript in PDF converted by Inkscape. Is
            > there some other cheap or free converter which will handle this
            > better?
            >
            > Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
            > The next stage in the evolution of web comics:
            > http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415
            >
            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com <svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Leonard Rosenthol"
            > <leonardr@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey John - Happy New Year, back at you!
            > >
            > > There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF
            > with
            > > full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997,
            > though it's
            > > no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe
            > Illustrator on the
            > > commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
            > > operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct
            > from
            > > SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the
            > market.
            > >
            > > Leonard

          • Richard Pearman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008

              I downloaded the perl version of this script but it seems short on
              documentation. The website says that you need Acrobat Reader 5 and
              the Image Viewer 4.0 plug in to view the resulting files. However the
              samples work with Adobe Reader 8 (actually that's a good thing).
              What I'd like to know is if it can handle svgz files or just svg?
              Can it handle more complicated SVG features (filters, SMIL -
              obviously it handles some animation and interactivity as they're in
              the examples). Can it deal with external files: CSS, JS, various
              image formats? I suppose I could spend ages experimenting and
              conclude something doesn't work when I was just doing it wrong or
              there's an easy work-around but it's quicker and possibly more
              accurate to ask.

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Ronan Oger <lists@...> wrote:

              > Hi Richard,
              >
              > http://jan.kollhof.net/projects/svg/svgpdf/index.xhtml
              >
              > You can embed svg into pdf aimed at the Acrobat reader...Maybe that
              would be
              > easier for you?
              >
              > Ronan
            • John Delacour
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008
                Resuming a question I have let lie for nearly a year ...

                At 07:13 -0500 2/1/08, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

                >...There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF with
                >full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997, though it's
                >no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe Illustrator on the
                >commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
                >operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct from
                >SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the market.

                Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
                and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
                in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
                file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
                surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
                in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.

                Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
                conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
                does not use it?

                JD
              • Robert Longson
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008
                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

                  > Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
                  > and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
                  > in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
                  > file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
                  > surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
                  > in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.
                  >
                  > Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
                  > conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
                  > does not use it?

                  Firefox uses cairo.

                  Best regards

                  Robert.
                • Helder Magalhães
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 2, 2008
                    > >Can you explain why nobody has yet produced software to convert SVG
                    > >to a PDF vector format?

                    Well, although Apache XML graphics was already partially referred [1]
                    (through Apache FOP [2]), I'd like to leave a more direct link to the
                    SVG "rasterizer" of the Batik project [3].

                    Hope this helps,

                    Helder Magalhães

                    [2] http://wiki.svg.org/Other_Implementations#SVG_to_PDF
                    [3] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/tools/rasterizer.html
                  • Kenneth Nellis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 4, 2008
                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

                      > Resuming a question I have let lie for nearly a year ...
                      >
                      > At 23:15 +0000 1/1/08, John Delacour wrote:
                      >
                      > >Can you explain why nobody has yet produced software to convert SVG
                      > >to a PDF vector format?
                      >
                      > At 07:13 -0500 2/1/08, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
                      >
                      > >...There are numerous products on the market that can convert SVG->PDF with
                      > >full vector fidelity. I wrote the first one back around 1997, though it's
                      > >no longer available. Today, you can certainly use Adobe Illustrator on the
                      > >commercial side or free solutions such as Inkscape to perform the
                      > >operation. If what you really want is DXF, then you can go direct from
                      > >SVG->DXF with Illustrator as well or some other products on the market.
                      >
                      > Well, in Mac OS X, I tried printing (as PDF) an svg file from Opera
                      > and discovered that not only is it impossible to do the page set-up
                      > in Opera but the resulting file is, as I was expecting, a bit-map
                      > file. So I decided to print from Safari instead. I discovered to my
                      > surprise that the PDF produced is a vector file. I then did the same
                      > in Shiretoko/Firefox with the same pleasing results.
                      >
                      > Can anyone tell me what engine Safari and Firefox use for this
                      > conversion, whether it's the same engine in both cases and why Opera
                      > does not use it?
                      >
                      > JD

                      You can create PDF files of SVG from Safari?? Please, tell me the trick. I just get a blank
                      page except for the page headers, the same as when I do Print Preview. FWIW, I'm running
                      OS X 10.4, Safari 3.2.1 with the ASV 3.0 plugin. BTW, Firefox 3.0.4 works fine.

                      Here's a sample file:
                      http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg

                      —Ken, new member, stereogram enthusiast
                    • John Delacour
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 23, 2008
                        At 01:50 +0000 5/12/08, Kenneth Nellis wrote:

                        >You can create PDF files of SVG from Safari?? Please, tell me the
                        >trick. I just get a blank page except for the page headers, the same
                        >as when I do Print Preview. FWIW, I'm running OS X 10.4, Safari
                        >3.2.1 with the ASV 3.0 plugin. BTW, Firefox 3.0.4 works fine.
                        >
                        >Here's a sample file:
                        ><http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg>http://homepage.mac.com/nellisks/stereo_svg/wireFrames/trunc_oct.svg

                        Sorry for the delay in replying -- I don't read all the postings religiously.

                        I had no trouble creating the vector pdf file from your link in
                        Safari using the Print/Save as PDF... option. Perhaps you need to
                        change your page set-up or something.

                        As to the ASV plug-in, surely that has nothing to do with it. Surely
                        Safari is now self-sufficient for SVG?

                        Robert Longson replied to my query that FireFox uses Cairo for the
                        conversion. How Safari does it I don't know. I have since installed
                        Cairo on the Mac, not without a lot of difficulty, and see that it is
                        not a complete solution, since attributes such as opacity are not
                        respected, but anything is better than a rasterized output.

                        JD
                      • Kenneth Nellis
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 24, 2008
                          Yeah, the problem was ASV. As soon as I removed it, I could print SVG
                          just fine. I had been using ASV for its support of SMIL, but Andreas
                          directed me to WebKit, which seems to do SMIL just fine, so no more
                          ASV. :-)
                          http://nightly.webkit.org/
                          Thanx for your response!
                          �Ken