Re: SVG: Tiresias

  • "~:'' ありがとうございました
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
      Domenico,

      without wishing to appear to have any knowledge about font design I
      would like to make one significant point.

      Designers including font designers would provide a better service to
      the community if they learnt about their needs and attempted to aid
      them. It isn't that helpful to just run down other peoples efforts,
      rather attempt to learn what was intended and provided a 'better'
      version.

      Joe has made some pretty unsympathetic comments about the difficulty
      of meeting the needs of people with learning disabilities. Afaik he
      has done nothing to research or build on our knowledge. He's also
      made some unpleasant remarks about the efforts of others.

      none of this in any way is a comment on Joe's knowledge about screen
      fonts, it's rather Our failure to use this knowledge to develop an
      appropriate font.

      regards

      Jonathan Chetwynd
      Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

      On 6 Dec 2007, at 17:56, Domenico Strazzullo wrote:

      And I encourage strongly anyone involved with digital production of
      any kind to read Joe Clark's article. To those who haven't yet
      discovered or understood, by the year 2007 of this modern age, that
      aesthetics is a cardinal function of logic, it can give something
      that is still cruelly missing or underestimated amongst the digital
      indigens, a good insight.

      In the paragraph "Beauty vs. legibility" Joe Clark has some very
      inspired lines.

      Domenico

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Domenico Strazzullo"
      <nst@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Jonathan,
      >
      > No, I haven't met Joe Clark, but I like him. What he writes
      confirms
      > the very first impressions I had: one, they used very low quality
      jpg
      > to show the font in the web page (wow!); two, I was immediately
      > shocked by the cap B for some reason, and by the weight/letting
      > ratio. All in all those people didn't know what they were doing,
      > under a "scientific" cover. Joe Clark is absolutely right in his
      > heavy criticism.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Domenico
      >

      > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "~:'' あã
      ‚ŠãŒã¨ã†ã"ざ
      > いました。" <j.chetwynd@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Domenico,
      > >
      > > you'll easily find out the RNIB chief officer commissioned or
      > > developed the Tiresias as a screen font for people with poor
      > vision.
      > > however Joe Clark, whom you may have met has this to say:
      > > http://screenfont.ca/fonts/today/Tiresias/debunk/
      > >
      > > cheers
      > >
      > > Jonathan Chetwynd
      > > Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet
      > >

      > > On 5 Dec 2007, at 20:56, Domenico Strazzullo wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "~:'' あã
      > > ‚ŠãÅ'とうã"Ã
      £Ââ€"