Re: Off topic Javascript problem (now on topic)

  • Richard Pearman
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007

      The page in question is the index page of a major sub-site (for my
      web comic). It serves two functions:

      Looks good and encourages people to continue reading the sub-site.

      Warns people that they need software which can display SVG and has
      links for ASV, Firefox and Opera (I intend to add links for Safari,
      Renesis and maybe others as they reach what I consider a sufficient
      performance level).

      I use Javascript a lot in my comics, partly because Firefox can't
      display SMIL and IE can't display CSS rollover events (anybody know
      different). Also I don't think SMIL and CSS can have universal
      counting variables and flags so the results of certain actions
      depends isn't allways the same. I mean if you have a long
      conversation between two charactors, a different bubble is shown each
      time you roll over one.

      The bottom line is that this page has to look good in pretty much any
      browser with or without a plug-in. I can warn of the need for
      Javascript with a <noscript> element. Therefore, unless somebody can
      figure out a way to display an SVG with working links and JavaScript
      if it's enabled and an alternative if not, which at least works in IE
      with ASV, Firefox and Opera, I'll just have to stick with an SVG free
      page.

      Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
      The next stage in the evolution of web comics:
      http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

      > <object> should work fine in Opera and Firefox but not in IE with
      the Adobe plugin (I don't know if it works in the Renesis plugin).

      > For scripting with IE, depending on what you need to do, either
      scripting from HTML to SVG since it is a bit tricky to find the SVG
      DOM.