Re: [svg-developers] SVG Open 2008

  • Doug Schepers
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
      Hi, David-

      David Dailey wrote (on 10/3/2007 10:41 AM):
      > Does anyone yet know when or where this is likely to happen?
      >
      > The cycle of funding here makes it easier to start planning early.

      We recognize that late announcement makes it difficult for attendance
      (for presenters and audience alike).

      We are planning SVG Open 2008 right now, and we will be making a Call
      for Participation before the end of the year, and will give notification
      of acceptance soon after.

      The conference will be in Europe, in the Autumn.

      Regards-
      -Doug
    • mark_alsisto
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2007
        hi david,
        do you have the simpler example that you mention. i really need your help.
        i just need a simple example of how to show and hide a text in svg using
        html radiobutton control...
        from there...i will try to understand the coding and implement it with my
        work...

        thanx...for your reply

        ddailey wrote:

        > In http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/waves.html
        > (which should run in Opera and IE/ASV) little waves that distort an image
        > are created from parameters given by
        > HTML form elements and then are embedded into the DOM and animated with
        > SMIL.
        >
        > It also takes advantage of the file upload (input type-file) in HTML that
        > is rather hard to duplicate in SVG alone.
        >
        > I have some simpler examples laying about somewhere. If such would prove
        > useful, please holler.
        >
        > David Dailey

      • ddailey
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2007
          Sure Mark,

          Take a look at the first example at http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/PartF_C.html

          It works in IE/ASV, Opera 9.23, and FF (except for the SMIL). The color of the SVG oval is varied through values chosen in an HTML <select>.

          The second example uses turbulence filters as controlled by radio buttons in HTML, so it also won't work in FF, though it is working for me in IT and Opera.

          The third example -- well let's just not talk about that one (there is an error of some sort in my very old code that prevents the keystroke event from being detected in Opera.)

          A slightly more adventurous example is given here.

          http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/checkerembed.html

          It embeds clipPaths into an SVG from HTML and seems to be working in FF, IE and Opera.

          hope this helps,

          ddailey wrote:

          > In http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/waves.html
          > (which should run in Opera and IE/ASV) little waves that distort an image
          > are created from parameters given by
          > HTML form elements and then are embedded into the DOM and animated with
          > SMIL.
          >
          > It also takes advantage of the file upload (input type-file) in HTML that
          > is rather hard to duplicate in SVG alone.
          >
          > I have some simpler examples laying about somewhere. If such would prove
          > useful, please holler.
          >
          > David Dailey

        • mark_alsisto
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
            hi,
            can you help me see what's wrong with this...i cant seem to get it
            right(slow learner).

            <head>
            <title>Untitled Page</title>
            <script type="text/javascript">
            var svgdoc, textmap,showHide
            function prepare()
            {
            svgdoc=document.sv.getSVGDocument();
            textmap=svgdoc.getElementById('names');

            }

            function visibleText(showhide)
            {
            textmap.setAttribute("visibility", showHide);
            }

            </script>
            </head>

            //then here is where i embed my svg file.
            <form name="form">
            show<input id="show" type="radio" name="visible" checked="checked"
            onclick="visibleText(visible)"/><br />
            hide<input id="hide" type="radio" name="visible"
            onclick="visibleText(hidden)"/>

            </form>
            i'm using IE7 and the svg file displayed properly.
            but whenever i clicked the radio button nothing changes. Instead, the msg
            "error on page" were shown at the brower's status bar...please guide me.

            ddailey wrote:

            > Sure Mark,
            >
            > Take a look at the first example at
            > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/PartF_C.html
            >
            > It works in IE/ASV, Opera 9.23, and FF (except for the SMIL). The color of
            > the SVG oval is varied through values chosen in an HTML <select>.
            >
            > The second example uses turbulence filters as controlled by radio buttons
            > in HTML, so it also won't work in FF, though it is working for me in IT
            > and Opera.
            >
            > The third example -- well let's just not talk about that one (there is an
            > error of some sort in my very old code that prevents the keystroke event
            > from being detected in Opera.)
            >
            > A slightly more adventurous example is given here.
            >
            > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/checkerembed.html
            >
            > It embeds clipPaths into an SVG from HTML and seems to be working in FF,
            > IE and Opera.
            >
            > hope this helps,
            > David

            :drunk::drunk:
          • ddailey
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
              Hi Mark,

              Give this a try -- comments included (simple SVG file follows):

              <head>
              <title>Untitled Page</title>
              <script type="text/javascript">
              var svgdoc, textmap,showHide
              xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
              function prepare()
              {
              // svgdoc=document.sv.getSVGDocument();
              svgdoc=document.getElementById("sv").getSVGDocument();

              //(I think retrieving an embed by id is probably a bit more robust than doing it by DOM1 methods)
              textmap=svgdoc.getElementById('names')
              }

              function visibleText(showhide)
              {
              alert(showhide+textmap.nodeName)
              //this is just to make sure the textmap object was properly identified
              textmap.setAttributeNS(null,"x", 200);
              textmap.setAttributeNS(null,"visibility", showhide);

              //using setAttributeNS rather than setAttribute is consistent with the SVG spec.
              //neither IE/ASV, Opera, nor FF requires it, but some browser somewhere sometime might

              }

              </script>
              </head>

              <embed id="sv" src="testing.svg" width=400 height=200>
              <!--
              <object> doesn't allow scripting in IE/ASV
              <iframe> would be another way, but there are some oddities
              <embed> is not how the spec says to do it, but it works in IE/FF/OP/Safari
              -->

              </embed>
              <form name="form">
              show<input id="show" type="radio" name="visible" checked="checked"
              onclick="visibleText('visible')"/><br />
              hide<input id="hide" type="radio" name="visible"
              onclick="visibleText('hidden')"/>

              </form>

              -----------------------svg---------
              <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="100%"
              xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" >
              <script><![CDATA[
              sampleVar="unnecessary";
              //]]>
              </script>
              <text font-size="12" x="5" y="20" id="names">sample text</text>
              </svg>

              ----------------

              Hope this helps and sorry if any of my old code has sent you barking up wrong DOM trees,

              ddailey wrote:

              > Sure Mark,
              >
              > Take a look at the first example at
              > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/PartF_C.html
              >
              > It works in IE/ASV, Opera 9.23, and FF (except for the SMIL). The color of
              > the SVG oval is varied through values chosen in an HTML <select>.
              >
              > The second example uses turbulence filters as controlled by radio buttons
              > in HTML, so it also won't work in FF, though it is working for me in IT
              > and Opera.
              >
              > The third example -- well let's just not talk about that one (there is an
              > error of some sort in my very old code that prevents the keystroke event
              > from being detected in Opera.)
              >
              > A slightly more adventurous example is given here.
              >
              > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/checkerembed.html
              >
              > It embeds clipPaths into an SVG from HTML and seems to be working in FF,
              > IE and Opera.
              >
              > hope this helps,
              > David

              :drunk::drunk: