Re: [svg-developers] SVG with html control

  • Erik Dahlström
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
      On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:59:18 +0200, Barend Köbben <kobben@...> wrote:

      > Hi David,
      >
      > Only on Win with IE& and the ASV plugin this works.
      >
      > On Opera on the Mac (Version
      > 9.50 Alpha,
      > Build
      > 4404) your page complains
      > about needing a plugin...?
      >
      > On Opera on Win (Version
      > 9.50 Alpha,
      > Build
      > 9500), no complaints, but the
      > place where the picture should be is either empty or a "hole" through to
      > the
      > underlying window (weird...?).

      Thanks, we'll fix this bug for a later release, this type of feedback is
      what alpha releases are meant for.

      Btw, http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/waves.html uses
      getElementById to find an embed element, but the embed element doesn't
      have an id attribute. It does have a 'name' attribute however I don't
      think getElementById should care about 'name', it could be a regression
      though.

      Cheers
      /Erik

    • David Dailey
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
        It does work in Opera 9.23 and IE/ASV3. Even
        after adding the fix Erik points out, though it
        still isn't working in Opera 9.5 alpha.

        Some good news though is that
        http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/circles2.svg
        for example that doesn't work in IE or Opera 9.23
        does work in 9.5. Some other things I'll be
        sending your way, Erik, as time allows.

        cheers,
        David

        At 04:58 AM 10/2/2007, you wrote:
        >On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:59:18 +0200, Barend Köbben <kobben@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi David,
        > >
        > > Only on Win with IE& and the ASV plugin this works.
        > >
        > > On Opera on the Mac (Version
        > > 9.50 Alpha,
        > > Build
        > > 4404) your page complains
        > > about needing a plugin...?
        > >
        > > On Opera on Win (Version
        > > 9.50 Alpha,
        > > Build
        > > 9500), no complaints, but the
        > > place where the picture should be is either empty or a "hole" through to
        > > the
        > > underlying window (weird...?).
        >
        >Thanks, we'll fix this bug for a later release, this type of feedback is
        >what alpha releases are meant for.
        >
        >Btw, http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/waves.html uses
        >getElementById to find an embed element, but the embed element doesn't
        >have an id attribute. It does have a 'name' attribute however I don't
        >think getElementById should care about 'name', it could be a regression
        >though.
        >
        >Cheers
        >/Erik
        >
        >--
        >Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
        >

        >-----
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Dailey
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
          Does anyone yet know when or where this is likely to happen?

          The cycle of funding here makes it easier to start planning early.

          regards,
          David
        • steltenpower
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
            http://svgopen.org/2008

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, David Dailey <david.dailey@...>
            wrote:

            > Does anyone yet know when or where this is likely to happen?
            >
            > The cycle of funding here makes it easier to start planning early.
            >
            > regards,
            > David

          • Doug Schepers
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
              Hi, David-

              David Dailey wrote (on 10/3/2007 10:41 AM):
              > Does anyone yet know when or where this is likely to happen?
              >
              > The cycle of funding here makes it easier to start planning early.

              We recognize that late announcement makes it difficult for attendance
              (for presenters and audience alike).

              We are planning SVG Open 2008 right now, and we will be making a Call
              for Participation before the end of the year, and will give notification
              of acceptance soon after.

              The conference will be in Europe, in the Autumn.

              Regards-
              -Doug
            • mark_alsisto
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2007
                hi david,
                do you have the simpler example that you mention. i really need your help.
                i just need a simple example of how to show and hide a text in svg using
                html radiobutton control...
                from there...i will try to understand the coding and implement it with my
                work...

                thanx...for your reply

                ddailey wrote:

                > In http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/waves.html
                > (which should run in Opera and IE/ASV) little waves that distort an image
                > are created from parameters given by
                > HTML form elements and then are embedded into the DOM and animated with
                > SMIL.
                >
                > It also takes advantage of the file upload (input type-file) in HTML that
                > is rather hard to duplicate in SVG alone.
                >
                > I have some simpler examples laying about somewhere. If such would prove
                > useful, please holler.
                >
                > David Dailey

              • ddailey
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2007
                  Sure Mark,

                  Take a look at the first example at http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/PartF_C.html

                  It works in IE/ASV, Opera 9.23, and FF (except for the SMIL). The color of the SVG oval is varied through values chosen in an HTML <select>.

                  The second example uses turbulence filters as controlled by radio buttons in HTML, so it also won't work in FF, though it is working for me in IT and Opera.

                  The third example -- well let's just not talk about that one (there is an error of some sort in my very old code that prevents the keystroke event from being detected in Opera.)

                  A slightly more adventurous example is given here.

                  http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/checkerembed.html

                  It embeds clipPaths into an SVG from HTML and seems to be working in FF, IE and Opera.

                  hope this helps,

                  ddailey wrote:

                  > In http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/waves.html
                  > (which should run in Opera and IE/ASV) little waves that distort an image
                  > are created from parameters given by
                  > HTML form elements and then are embedded into the DOM and animated with
                  > SMIL.
                  >
                  > It also takes advantage of the file upload (input type-file) in HTML that
                  > is rather hard to duplicate in SVG alone.
                  >
                  > I have some simpler examples laying about somewhere. If such would prove
                  > useful, please holler.
                  >
                  > David Dailey

                • mark_alsisto
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
                    hi,
                    can you help me see what's wrong with this...i cant seem to get it
                    right(slow learner).

                    <head>
                    <title>Untitled Page</title>
                    <script type="text/javascript">
                    var svgdoc, textmap,showHide
                    function prepare()
                    {
                    svgdoc=document.sv.getSVGDocument();
                    textmap=svgdoc.getElementById('names');

                    }

                    function visibleText(showhide)
                    {
                    textmap.setAttribute("visibility", showHide);
                    }

                    </script>
                    </head>

                    //then here is where i embed my svg file.
                    <form name="form">
                    show<input id="show" type="radio" name="visible" checked="checked"
                    onclick="visibleText(visible)"/><br />
                    hide<input id="hide" type="radio" name="visible"
                    onclick="visibleText(hidden)"/>

                    </form>
                    i'm using IE7 and the svg file displayed properly.
                    but whenever i clicked the radio button nothing changes. Instead, the msg
                    "error on page" were shown at the brower's status bar...please guide me.

                    ddailey wrote:

                    > Sure Mark,
                    >
                    > Take a look at the first example at
                    > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/PartF_C.html
                    >
                    > It works in IE/ASV, Opera 9.23, and FF (except for the SMIL). The color of
                    > the SVG oval is varied through values chosen in an HTML <select>.
                    >
                    > The second example uses turbulence filters as controlled by radio buttons
                    > in HTML, so it also won't work in FF, though it is working for me in IT
                    > and Opera.
                    >
                    > The third example -- well let's just not talk about that one (there is an
                    > error of some sort in my very old code that prevents the keystroke event
                    > from being detected in Opera.)
                    >
                    > A slightly more adventurous example is given here.
                    >
                    > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/checkerembed.html
                    >
                    > It embeds clipPaths into an SVG from HTML and seems to be working in FF,
                    > IE and Opera.
                    >
                    > hope this helps,
                    > David

                    :drunk::drunk:
                  • ddailey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Hi Mark,

                      Give this a try -- comments included (simple SVG file follows):

                      <head>
                      <title>Untitled Page</title>
                      <script type="text/javascript">
                      var svgdoc, textmap,showHide
                      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
                      function prepare()
                      {
                      // svgdoc=document.sv.getSVGDocument();
                      svgdoc=document.getElementById("sv").getSVGDocument();

                      //(I think retrieving an embed by id is probably a bit more robust than doing it by DOM1 methods)
                      textmap=svgdoc.getElementById('names')
                      }

                      function visibleText(showhide)
                      {
                      alert(showhide+textmap.nodeName)
                      //this is just to make sure the textmap object was properly identified
                      textmap.setAttributeNS(null,"x", 200);
                      textmap.setAttributeNS(null,"visibility", showhide);

                      //using setAttributeNS rather than setAttribute is consistent with the SVG spec.
                      //neither IE/ASV, Opera, nor FF requires it, but some browser somewhere sometime might

                      }

                      </script>
                      </head>

                      <embed id="sv" src="testing.svg" width=400 height=200>
                      <!--
                      <object> doesn't allow scripting in IE/ASV
                      <iframe> would be another way, but there are some oddities
                      <embed> is not how the spec says to do it, but it works in IE/FF/OP/Safari
                      -->

                      </embed>
                      <form name="form">
                      show<input id="show" type="radio" name="visible" checked="checked"
                      onclick="visibleText('visible')"/><br />
                      hide<input id="hide" type="radio" name="visible"
                      onclick="visibleText('hidden')"/>

                      </form>

                      -----------------------svg---------
                      <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="100%"
                      xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" >
                      <script><![CDATA[
                      sampleVar="unnecessary";
                      //]]>
                      </script>
                      <text font-size="12" x="5" y="20" id="names">sample text</text>
                      </svg>

                      ----------------

                      Hope this helps and sorry if any of my old code has sent you barking up wrong DOM trees,

                      ddailey wrote:

                      > Sure Mark,
                      >
                      > Take a look at the first example at
                      > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/PartF_C.html
                      >
                      > It works in IE/ASV, Opera 9.23, and FF (except for the SMIL). The color of
                      > the SVG oval is varied through values chosen in an HTML <select>.
                      >
                      > The second example uses turbulence filters as controlled by radio buttons
                      > in HTML, so it also won't work in FF, though it is working for me in IT
                      > and Opera.
                      >
                      > The third example -- well let's just not talk about that one (there is an
                      > error of some sort in my very old code that prevents the keystroke event
                      > from being detected in Opera.)
                      >
                      > A slightly more adventurous example is given here.
                      >
                      > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/intro/checkerembed.html
                      >
                      > It embeds clipPaths into an SVG from HTML and seems to be working in FF,
                      > IE and Opera.
                      >
                      > hope this helps,
                      > David

                      :drunk::drunk: