Webkit, SVG and Apollo

  • Domenico Strazzullo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
      Yesterday I spoke with an Adobe person and to the direct question "...
      Did you disable SVG in Webkit for Apollo?" I got this direct
      answer "... We did disable it but we're trying to put it back, although
      it's difficult to keep everything" [citation].

      I don't know what to think because it would seem easier to me to leave
      evrything in place than to take things out. I was promised I would get
      a definitive answer by mail. I don't know what to make of it since it
      can be interpreted as positive or negative, but it surely proves the
      door is not shut and maybe this is the right time for those who have
      any influence to try to intercede in favor of keeping SVG.

      Apollo with SVG is certainly bad news for Silverlight. BTW, I'm very
      impressed by Apollo. It's proprietary but many of it's components are
      Open standards. Webkit is Open source and perhaps the idea of taking
      advantage and benefit from an Open source project while making
      discriminatory cuts to it should be somewhat uncomfortable or even
      embarassing. On the other end, leaving it intact would definitely be an
      asset, competition wise. As a developer I would most certainly adopt
      Apollo as a side kick if it really responds to the claim of
      facilitating the coder/designer relationship, while still keeping SVG.
      In case webkit is slaughtered just to get rid of SVG If wouldn't adopt
      Apollo at least until SVG would be officially dead, knowing that Jazz
      has been declared officially dead a number of times during the last
      five decades. In the end not only it is alive and well but it has even
      got academic status, which is a thing that SVG already has.

      Domenico
    • Charles McCathieNevile
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
        On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:50:15 +0200, Domenico Strazzullo
        <nst@...> wrote:

        > Yesterday I spoke with an Adobe person and to the direct question "...
        > Did you disable SVG in Webkit for Apollo?" I got this direct
        > answer "... We did disable it but we're trying to put it back, although
        > it's difficult to keep everything" [citation].

        the opposite answer. Maybe testing it a bit would be more reliable than
        asking the company?

        cheers

        Chaals

        chaals@... Catch up: Speed Dial http://opera.com
      • Doug Schepers
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
          Hi, Chaals-

          Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
          > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:50:15 +0200, Domenico Strazzullo
          > <nst@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Yesterday I spoke with an Adobe person and to the direct question "...
          >> Did you disable SVG in Webkit for Apollo?" I got this direct
          >> answer "... We did disable it but we're trying to put it back, although
          >> it's difficult to keep everything" [citation].

          > the opposite answer.

          What was the response at XTech? That they didn't disable it, or that
          they aren't trying to put it back?

          > Maybe testing it a bit would be more reliable than
          > asking the company?

          Agreed.

          Regards-
          -Doug