What alternatives to ASV for IE6/7 ?

  • Paul Wirdnam
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
      I work for a large multi-national corporation that has standardized on
      a IE-based desktop, so switching browers to one with native SVG
      support is not an option.

      But we also have to mitigate ourselves from the Adobe SVG Viewer going
      out of support from 1-Jan-2008. We've looked at the Renesis plug-in,
      but what other options do we have if we want to stay with SVG and IE?

      BTW: we're generating SVG using client-side XML data islands...in case
      that makes any difference to available options.

      Please help!
    • Domenico Strazzullo
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Wirdnam" <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > BTW: we're generating SVG using client-side XML data islands...in
        case
        > that makes any difference to available options.

        If this is true, you seem to be pretty fluent with SVG and from the
        first three points you make, you seem to be well aware of the rendering
        engines/platform situation. Working for a large multi-national
        corporation, It would seem natural to address Microsoft direclty urging
        for a native SVG implementation, but in turn Microsoft could respond to
        that request by the magic word "Why not use Silverlight?".

        Is this what you wanted to hear? One thing is certain, you do work for
        a large multi-national corporation...

        Domenico Strazzullo.

        > I work for a large multi-national corporation that has standardized
        on
        > a IE-based desktop, so switching browers to one with native SVG
        > support is not an option.
        >
        > But we also have to mitigate ourselves from the Adobe SVG Viewer
        going
        > out of support from 1-Jan-2008. We've looked at the Renesis plug-in,
        > but what other options do we have if we want to stay with SVG and IE?
        >
        > BTW: we're generating SVG using client-side XML data islands...in
        case
        > that makes any difference to available options.
        >
        > Please help!

      • veiko herne
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
          Hi Paul

          As I didn't find Renesis yet working properly, maybe
          you should test Tinyline www.tinyline.com ones? Those
          are Java applets and should work with any Java enabled
          browser.

          Veiko
          http://veikoh.wordpress.com

          --- Paul Wirdnam <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > I work for a large multi-national corporation that
          > has standardized on
          > a IE-based desktop, so switching browers to one with
          > native SVG
          > support is not an option.
          >
          > But we also have to mitigate ourselves from the
          > Adobe SVG Viewer going
          > out of support from 1-Jan-2008. We've looked at the
          > Renesis plug-in,
          > but what other options do we have if we want to stay
          > with SVG and IE?
          >
          > BTW: we're generating SVG using client-side XML data
          > islands...in case
          > that makes any difference to available options.
          >
          > Please help!

          > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers
          > and click "edit my membership"
          > ----
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > mailto:svg-developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
        • Domenico Strazzullo
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
            Veiko,

            Chances are that this Paul Wirdnam will not reply. These posts are
            probably the work of some marketing guys from Microsoft/others:
            dramatic topic subject/question with self response, a "Please help!"
            in place of signature from somebody who seems quite competent, etc.
            They are tentatives of intoxication. I'll be more than happy to be
            contradicted by Paul Wirdnam' reply. This list has often been exposed
            to talent drainage but at this moment it seems that some would like
            to give it a fatal blow. Again, I hope this is only paranoia, but
            lately there has been a recrudescence of posts that try to undermine
            SVG and there's no way that a member can check if the author of a
            suspicious post is a genuine member since unfortunately he or she
            doesn't have access anymore to the members' list. I wonder why? In
            this circumstance there is too much burden on the moderators (Doug,
            how many owners/moderators left?), while some members can take part
            of the load. We can't remember the names of all the members so, can
            we please gain back the access to the list's information?

            Domenico

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, veiko herne <veiko_h@...>

            _____________
            > You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
            > in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
            > http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_html.html

          • Paul Wirdnam
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
              Domenico,

              I'm more than happy to reply...I have no connection with Microsoft
              whatsoever; I'm an IT architect employed by one of the major
              pharmaceutical companies...and I'm saddened by your response to my
              request for help / advice.

              Sure, we have one in-house developer who is very competent in SVG
              programming...to the extend that we adopted SVG back in 2002 for
              delivering XML-based graphics on the web. At the time, and like many
              others, we standardized on the ASV for rendering in IE.

              With 2008 fast approaching, and with support for ASV being dropped, I
              have a responsibility to find alternative ways to render SVG in IE, so
              that our existing SVG applications can continue running in a
              supportable environment.

              I was hoping that this forum might suggest some options so that we may
              continue to use SVG with IE, and I'd like to thank Veiko for his.
              Based on your response, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't come here at all...

              Paul Wirdnam
              UK

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Domenico Strazzullo" <nst@...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
                Hi Veiko,

                Many thaanks for the suggestion...I hadn't considered a Java
                applet...however, because our SVG is generated on the client-side
                using XML data islands and JavaScript, I'm going to assume that would
                require quite a lot of re-work for our existing SVG-based applications.

                I guess what I'm looking / hoping for was a straight plugin
                switch...from ASV to some other. But maybe there really isn't a
                viable alternative.

                Thanks

                Paul
                UK

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
                  And I'm happy as I said I would, Paul, of your reply.

                  You're right that in the immediate there's no equal replacement for
                  ASV in IE7.

                  I hope you do understand that it was not your physical person who was
                  in cause.

                  Best regards,

                  Domenico

                • thomas.deweese@kodak.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
                    Hi Veiko,

                    svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote on 06/08/2007 02:42:34 PM:

                    > Many thaanks for the suggestion...I hadn't considered a Java
                    > applet...however, because our SVG is generated on the client-side
                    > using XML data islands and JavaScript, I'm going to assume that would
                    > require quite a lot of re-work for our existing SVG-based applications.

                    How do your SVG applications access the local XML? Are they
                    local SVG files?

                    > I guess what I'm looking / hoping for was a straight plugin
                    > switch...from ASV to some other. But maybe there really isn't a
                    > viable alternative.

                    If you just need a container to run the SVG with JavaScript,
                    Batik (also Java) might be considered. It wouldn't run in a
                    Browser it would be a separate app (you actually could run
                    Batik in a browser as an applet but it's a bit big for that).

                    Batik is a bit stricter on what it accepts for SVG/EcmaScript
                    but I think it implements just about everything ASV did.

                    > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, veiko herne <veiko_h@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Paul
                    > >
                    > > As I didn't find Renesis yet working properly, maybe
                    > > you should test Tinyline www.tinyline.com ones? Those
                    > > are Java applets and should work with any Java enabled
                    > > browser.
                    > >
                    > > Veiko
                    > > http://veikoh.wordpress.com
                    > >
                    > > --- Paul Wirdnam <yahoo@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I work for a large multi-national corporation that
                    > > > has standardized on
                    > > > a IE-based desktop, so switching browers to one with
                    > > > native SVG
                    > > > support is not an option.
                    > > >
                    > > > But we also have to mitigate ourselves from the
                    > > > Adobe SVG Viewer going
                    > > > out of support from 1-Jan-2008. We've looked at the
                    > > > Renesis plug-in,
                    > > > but what other options do we have if we want to stay
                    > > > with SVG and IE?
                    > > >
                    > > > BTW: we're generating SVG using client-side XML data
                    > > > islands...in case
                    > > > that makes any difference to available options.
                    > > >
                    > > > Please help!
                    > > >

                    > > > -----
                    > > > To unsubscribe send a message to:
                    > > > -or-
                    > > > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers
                    > > > and click "edit my membership"
                    > > > ----
                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > > >
                    > > > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    > > >
                    > > > mailto:svg-developers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    > > You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
                    > > in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                    > > http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_html.html

                  • Stephen Quintero
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
                      Hi All,

                      First, while support for ASV will end as of 2008, I understand the existing
                      plug-in will continue to be supplied by Adobe indefinitely. Also, the
                      current stable release of ASV seems (to me) as good or better than the
                      developing native support. So you may be in less of a crunch than you
                      think. Unless you are pushing the limits of the SVG implementation in ASV.

                      It looks as if the browser vector graphics market is up in the air. SVG or
                      Flash or SilverLight or whatnext. What basket do you put your eggs in?
                      Since you already have a mature application in SVG, you might wait to see
                      how it all shakes out.

                      I also would like to see Renesis mature. I tried it on my app, which runs
                      happily under ASV and Firefox, but it was confused. Or maybe I am!

                      Stephen

                      On 6/8/07, Domenico Strazzullo <nst@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > to talent drainage but at this moment it seems that some would
                      > like
                      > > > to give it a fatal blow. Again, I hope this is only paranoia, but
                      > > > lately there has been a recrudescence of posts that try to
                      > undermine
                      > > > SVG and there's no way that a member can check if the author of a
                      > > > suspicious post is a genuine member since unfortunately he or she
                      > > > doesn't have access anymore to the members' list. I wonder why?
                      > In
                      > > > this circumstance there is too much burden on the moderators
                      > (Doug,
                      > > > how many owners/moderators left?), while some members can take
                      > part
                      > > > of the load. We can't remember the names of all the members so,
                      > can
                      > > > we please gain back the access to the list's information?

                    • Doug Schepers
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
                        Whoah there, Turbo! You seem to be racing to some really strange
                        reactions. Enough with the conspiracy theories and ad hominem attacks.

                        Paul asked a pretty straightforward question. With Microsoft, Adobe,
                        and Sun have all stepping up their efforts in similar spaces to SVG, and
                        Adobe strategically backing down on their support for SVG, there's some
                        natural uncertainty among people using SVG commercially. I doubt
                        ranting will resolve their concerns, or add any credibility to SVG.

                        As to memberships, you let the moderators take care of that. Sheesh.

                        Regards-
                        -Doug

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
                          H, Paul-

                          I think Steven's got a pretty sane assessment here. In reality, Adobe
                          haven't truly "supported" ASV for years. As I've said before on this
                          list, Renesis is gearing up to be the active replacement for ASV, and
                          while it still has a way to go, it is making good progress.

                          Because you're using "inline SVG" (via data islands), your options are a
                          little limited if you want to stay in IE. None of the Java players will
                          do that. As Steven says, ASV isn't going away, so until Renesis works
                          for you (which bug reports would help), I think ASV is still a safe bet.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
                            I said "I hope this is only paranoia", and it turned out to be. I
                            apologized with Paul in some way. It's easy for you to make comments
                            after you see the direction of the wind.

                            > As to memberships, you let the moderators take care of that. Sheesh.

                            This is very cheap. But I don't think the members are interested in
                            knowing why so, sheesh yourself.

                            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Doug Schepers <doug@...> wrote:

                            > Whoah there, Turbo! You seem to be racing to some really strange
                            > reactions. Enough with the conspiracy theories and ad hominem
                            attacks.

                            > Paul asked a pretty straightforward question. With Microsoft,
                            Adobe,
                            > and Sun have all stepping up their efforts in similar spaces to
                            SVG, and
                            > Adobe strategically backing down on their support for SVG, there's
                            some
                            > natural uncertainty among people using SVG commercially. I doubt
                            > ranting will resolve their concerns, or add any credibility to SVG.
                            >
                            > As to memberships, you let the moderators take care of that.
                            Sheesh.

                            > Regards-
                            > -Doug
                            >
                            > Domenico Strazzullo wrote:
                            > > Veiko,
                            > >
                            > > Chances are that this Paul Wirdnam will not reply. These posts
                            are
                            > > probably the work of some marketing guys from Microsoft/others:
                            > > dramatic topic subject/question with self response, a "Please
                            help!"
                            > > in place of signature from somebody who seems quite competent,
                            etc.
                            > > They are tentatives of intoxication. I'll be more than happy to
                            be
                            > > contradicted by Paul Wirdnam' reply. This list has often been
                            exposed
                            > > to talent drainage but at this moment it seems that some would
                            like
                            > > to give it a fatal blow. Again, I hope this is only paranoia, but
                            > > lately there has been a recrudescence of posts that try to
                            undermine
                            > > SVG and there's no way that a member can check if the author of a
                            > > suspicious post is a genuine member since unfortunately he or she
                            > > doesn't have access anymore to the members' list. I wonder why?
                            In
                            > > this circumstance there is too much burden on the moderators
                            (Doug,
                            > > how many owners/moderators left?), while some members can take
                            part
                            > > of the load. We can't remember the names of all the members so,
                            can
                            > > we please gain back the access to the list's information?

                          • mark_finkle
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 8, 2007
                              Paul,

                              Check out the possibility of using the Mozilla ActiveX control in IE
                              to display SVG. The ActiveX control uses the full Mozilla/Firefox
                              rendering engine, so it supports the same level of SVG as Firefox does.

                              The control is packaged as part of the Mozilla XUL Runner project and
                              can be downloaded from here:
                              http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/1.8.1.3/contrib/win32/

                              Note, that currently, the control is not enabled to work
                              "out-of-the-box" with IE, but I have a small patch on my website that
                              enables it:
                              http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/2006/12/xule-what-if/

                              More here:
                              http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/2007/01/mozilla-activex-control/

                              In the Firefox3 timeframe, the ActiveX control will be enabled for use
                              in IE by default and, if registered, will automatically handle
                              displaying SVG resources in IE. Just click on an SVG link or navigate
                              to an SVG URL and the Mozilla control will take over rendering the
                              content.

                              XULRunner Alpha6 (end of June 07) should be the first version with the
                              IE/SVG support turned on (no patches needed).

                              If you decide to take a look, let me know how things go,

                              Mark Finkle

                              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Wirdnam" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                              > I work for a large multi-national corporation that has standardized on
                              > a IE-based desktop, so switching browers to one with native SVG
                              > support is not an option.
                              >
                              > But we also have to mitigate ourselves from the Adobe SVG Viewer going
                              > out of support from 1-Jan-2008. We've looked at the Renesis plug-in,
                              > but what other options do we have if we want to stay with SVG and IE?
                              >
                              > BTW: we're generating SVG using client-side XML data islands...in case
                              > that makes any difference to available options.
                              >
                              > Please help!

                            • veiko herne
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 9, 2007
                                Hi

                                With TinyLine to web, you will define your website to
                                use TinyLine applet when showing the SVG. The sample
                                code is here:
                                <!-- Start of the TinyLine Applet declaration -->
                                <!-- Here is the TinyLine Applet goes:
                                code - the main class to run
                                archive - the archive that holds the
                                applet.
                                width and height - the area occupied by the
                                applet
                                svgfile - the name of the applet
                                parameter
                                svg/tman.svg - the value of the applet
                                parameter that says what an SVG file to load
                                -->
                                <applet code="com.tinyline.app.TinyLineApplet"
                                archive="tinyline4web.zip" width="546" height="728" >
                                <param name="svgfile" value="test29.svg" />
                                </applet>
                                <!-- End of the TinyLine Applet declaration -->

                                I found it most easyest way to deliver SVG content
                                over the web. On mobiles, it's will be more
                                complicated. My problem was, that most of the SVG
                                players didn't played my animation clips anyway. Even
                                TinyLine ones, but Andrew finally fixed the bug in
                                positioning and sizing calculations for me, so I'm
                                ready to go with his drivers.
                                My actual article about my experiences testing my
                                animations against different players:
                                http://veikoh.wordpress.com/2007/04/21/svg-animated-movies/

                                Veiko

                                http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/