Re: Future of SVG?

  • Domenico Strazzullo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2007
      Hi Jim,

      SVG is an excellent choice for technical applications. The code
      generated by the native editors you mention is valid but obviously
      each uses its own algorithms for generating the code, which may
      differ considerably from hand coding, given that artificial
      intelligence is still embryonic at this stage, although nothing
      prevents you from giving Illustrator a hand with building the
      structure that suits your needs. The most common approach is to have
      the native editors to do part of the job, in assisting for path
      drawing for example, and assemble the work manually to ensure
      optimization, adding scripting, etc. It is also standard practice to
      build the elements using the DOM interfaces, which makes production
      and maintenance very easy.

      Sketsa will probably be very robust given the necessary amount of
      time. I believe the development of Webdraw has been stopped quite a
      while ago. Illustrator is strong for what it can do, not forgetting
      that all those applications, including Inkscape etc. specialize in
      art production. They cannot produce applications and they never
      claimed that. In my opinion there aren't yet any tools of the model
      driven technologies type in any vector solution capable of generating
      credible code for complex applications.

      > be the best choice... Are there any other vector types that are
      > overcoming these issues?

      As this is probably the scope of your post, the answer is yes of
      course, Flash. You can try at least and see if it can meet your
      expectations.

      May I ask you if that development was for Milacron's extruders
      technical manuals and if you developed that application yourself?
      Aren't you the president of Milacron?

      Domenico Strazzullo

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jabbiati" <jabbiati@...>