Future of SVG?

  • jabbiati
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2007
      Hi all,

      I developed an SVG application for work a few years ago that added a
      slew of interactive options (drop down menus, links, auto-
      highlighting of graphic elements, blinking, etc.) to schematics and
      diagrams in our technical manuals. Over the past few years I've seen
      support for SVGs dwindle, and am finding the SVG export capability of
      certain graphic tools (Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, etc.) is also
      diminishing. It gets even worse when you consider that after I've
      added all the interactivity code to these drawings, I have few
      options to maintain them, since I need a native editor to do so
      (Sketsa, WebDraw?). When you reopen an SVG in Adobe or other tools,
      they resave it without the code I added. Additionally, the raw SVG
      code generated by the different tools is completely different, making
      consistency difficult.

      It appears to me that using SVGs for technical applications might not
      be the best choice... Are there any other vector types that are
      overcoming these issues? Are there any robust SVG tools out there
      that can handle initial creation AND native editing well?

      Inquiring minds want to know...and I'd really appreciate any advice!

      Thanks,

      Jim Abbiati
    • Domenico Strazzullo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2007
        Hi Jim,

        SVG is an excellent choice for technical applications. The code
        generated by the native editors you mention is valid but obviously
        each uses its own algorithms for generating the code, which may
        differ considerably from hand coding, given that artificial
        intelligence is still embryonic at this stage, although nothing
        prevents you from giving Illustrator a hand with building the
        structure that suits your needs. The most common approach is to have
        the native editors to do part of the job, in assisting for path
        drawing for example, and assemble the work manually to ensure
        optimization, adding scripting, etc. It is also standard practice to
        build the elements using the DOM interfaces, which makes production
        and maintenance very easy.

        Sketsa will probably be very robust given the necessary amount of
        time. I believe the development of Webdraw has been stopped quite a
        while ago. Illustrator is strong for what it can do, not forgetting
        that all those applications, including Inkscape etc. specialize in
        art production. They cannot produce applications and they never
        claimed that. In my opinion there aren't yet any tools of the model
        driven technologies type in any vector solution capable of generating
        credible code for complex applications.

        > be the best choice... Are there any other vector types that are
        > overcoming these issues?

        As this is probably the scope of your post, the answer is yes of
        course, Flash. You can try at least and see if it can meet your
        expectations.

        May I ask you if that development was for Milacron's extruders
        technical manuals and if you developed that application yourself?
        Aren't you the president of Milacron?

        Domenico Strazzullo

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jabbiati" <jabbiati@...>