foreignObject: Anyone found out a good way to "dump" HTML into SVG with it?

  • sirlemmingviii
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25 1:10 AM
      Maybe I'm just naive here, but to me, the promise of the
      <foreignObject> element is that you can take a block of code from
      another markup language and dump it right into a block of SVG code by
      surrounding it with <foreignObject> and maybe modifying it a little.

      Given the fact that I can't even seem to get examples provided by web
      sites such as Croczilla and W3.org to work correctly, maybe this is
      one of those things we just have to wait on. But if anyone's had any
      success with this kind of thing, I'd like to know. So far all of my
      attempts have resulted in none of the HTML showing up. I doubt I'll
      bother trying to do this anymore unless I'm really missing out on
      something.

      I'm only interested in dumping HTML into an SVG (or mixed XML/SVG,
      XHTML, etc.) document, not the other way around.
    • Jeff Schiller
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25 8:09 AM
        What UAs are you trying it in?

        I've never yet played with foreignObject, though it's going to be
        enabled in Firefox 3 from what I understand. Not sure if Opera has
        support for it yet.

        Jeff

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "sirlemmingviii" <lemmhead@...>
        wrote:

        > Maybe I'm just naive here, but to me, the promise of the
        > <foreignObject> element is that you can take a block of code from
        > another markup language and dump it right into a block of SVG code by
        > surrounding it with <foreignObject> and maybe modifying it a little.
        >
        > Given the fact that I can't even seem to get examples provided by web
        > sites such as Croczilla and W3.org to work correctly, maybe this is
        > one of those things we just have to wait on. But if anyone's had any
        > success with this kind of thing, I'd like to know. So far all of my
        > attempts have resulted in none of the HTML showing up. I doubt I'll
        > bother trying to do this anymore unless I'm really missing out on
        > something.
        >
        > I'm only interested in dumping HTML into an SVG (or mixed XML/SVG,
        > XHTML, etc.) document, not the other way around.

      • Erik Dahlström
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25 8:26 AM
          Feel free to search the archives of svg-developers...

          Here are a couple of examples that work in Opera 9 and Firefox 3:

          Cheers
          /Erik

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25 12:31 PM
            Judging by those posts, it only really works in the FF3 nightly
            builds. I probably won't bother then.