Re: [svg-developers] svg on IE and Firefox

  • ddailey
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
      Hi Fuli,

      I tried briefly stripping out the styles, and the script and just about everything I could find to strip out and still was unable to get the
      thing working in IE. I don't see anything obvious, but it's starting to look like it may have some funky characters in it. I was suspicious of some of the things in it, but ended up with nothing concrete to be able to offer. Hopefully someone else will see something obvious that we've both overlooked.

      David Dailey
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, fuli zhang <fuliopen@...> wrote:

        > http://www.pinyinology.com/ontology/wang2.svg

        Configure that server to serve the file with HTTP Content-Type as
        image/svg+xml. Currently you serve it as text/xml which is a generic
        XML MIME type so that IE simply uses its XML parser to display the
        markup. If you serve as image/svg+xml then the Adobe SVG viewer will
        render the SVG.
      • heldermagalhaes
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2007
          This can be due to an issue with SVG support in Internet Explorer in a
          computer with Visual Studio 2005 installed:

          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916442

          In a glance, if you aren't able to follow Martin Honnen's suggestion
          (if you don't have server administrative access, for example) you can
          try embedding your SVG file in an HTML file and add equivalent
          information:

          <embed src="YOUR_FILENAME.svg"
          type="image/svg+xml"
          pluginspace="http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/"
          width="100%" height="100%" />

          In the code snippet above, "type" is the key attribute to solve the
          issue with IE+VS2005. This code snippet doesn't:

          -- Help solving the "Click here to activate this control";
          -- Foresees the use of <object> instead of <embed> in Firefox and
          Opera (embed is deprecated but Adobe SVG Viewer works better using it).

          Both these small details have plenty of information around on how to
          fix them. I only wanted to show a simple way to get around this
          specific issue.

          Regards,

          Helder

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, fuli zhang <fuliopen@...> wrote:

          > The following svg file, including the animation, is displayed on the
          Firefox browser very nice. But when opened with the IE browser, only
          the original code comes up to the screen. There is no graphics at
          all. I've tested it on two computers. The results are same. The
          file is displayed OK on both IE and FF offline.

          > http://www.pinyinology.com/ontology/wang2.svg
          >
          > If possible, please help. Thanks.

        • fuli zhang
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2007
            Thanks for all your responses. When placing the svg file in an html file, the graphics and animation works fine on the IE browser:

            http://www.pinyinology.com/ontology/wang2_test.html

            But when the svg file is opened as an independent file, what appears on the screen is the original code:

            http://www.pinyinology.com/ontology/wang2.svg

            I have no idea on whether this is a normal phenomenon. Or something must have be done on the hosting server. By the way, when the html file is opened, a zero (0) appears in the central circle, but not the left-hand one. I would like to modify the code, and have the zero (0) not appear, so the displays in both the left-hand and central circles will exactly coincide. Following is the Javascript code:

            <script type="text/ecmascript">
            <![CDATA[
            var i;
            var symbols = [['goat',1000],['goam',1000],['pove',1000],['goak',1000],['koaf',1000]];
            var timeout;
            var startOnLoad = true;
            function init() {
            reset();
            if(startOnLoad) setTimeout('play()',200);
            }
            function play(){
            if(!timeout) {

            //update();
            timeout = setTimeout("update()",symbols[i][1]);

            setAttr('playGrp','pointer-events','none');
            setAttr('playIco','fill','#888');
            setAttr('pauseGrp','pointer-events','all');
            setAttr('pauseIco','fill','#000');
            setAttr('resetGrp','pointer-events','none');
            setAttr('resetIco','fill','#888');
            function update() {
            i++;
            if(i >= symbols.length) i=0;
            document.getElementById('txt').firstChild.data = symbols[i][0];
            document.getElementById('txt1').firstChild.data = symbols[i][0];
            timeout = setTimeout("update()",symbols[i][1]);
            }
            function pause() {

            timeout = clearTimeout(timeout);

            setAttr('playGrp','pointer-events','all');
            setAttr('playIco','fill','#000');
            setAttr('pauseGrp','pointer-events','none');
            setAttr('pauseIco','fill','#888');
            setAttr('resetGrp','pointer-events','all');
            setAttr('resetIco','fill','#000');
            }
            function reset() {
            i = 0;
            document.getElementById('txt').firstChild.data = symbols[i][0];
            setAttr('playGrp','pointer-events','all');
            setAttr('playIco','fill','#000');
            setAttr('resetGrp','pointer-events','none');
            setAttr('resetIco','fill','#888');
            setAttr('pauseGrp','pointer-events','none');
            setAttr('pauseIco','fill','#888');
            }
            function setAttr(id,attr,val) {
            document.getElementById(id).setAttributeNS(null,attr,val);
            }
            ]]>
            </script>

            Thanks again for your help.