Tricky SVG document resulting from PDF conversion

  • Flavio
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi all,
      i have the following document obtained from a demo version of PDF2SVG,
      a PDFTRon product, and it looks very good with Internet Explore + ASV
      but it renders very poorly with native SVG of Firefox 2.0.0.1.

      You can download the file here:

      http://mio.discoremoto.alice.it/byte64/CATALOGO_dicembre_2.svg

      However, even if in ASV is looking better, when i try to select
      certain text elements, like the third last line in the bottom right
      side of the page (the line beginning with the faint text "I
      prezzi..."), ASV seems to go crazy (ASV version 3.03).

      If i look at the source, i can't say why that text is so tricky for ASV.
      Is anyone able to explain this odd behaviour?

      As Adobe support is due to end in january 2008, are there any chances,
      in case it's a bug, to get this fixed before then?

      Thank you
      Flavio
    • Peter Sorotokin
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
        Flavio,

        This is caused by the following problem in the file: they draw that
        text with font fnt1 (which is probably translated from PDF Type3
        font), which is defined as following:

        font-family="fnt1"
        units-per-em="1"
        ascent="950"
        descent="350"
        />

        Notice how units-per-em is 1 and ascent and descent are three-digit
        numbers. Adobe Viewer simply thinks that these characters are really,
        really tall and draws the selection boxes as very tall rectangles.
        You can try to edit ascent and descent numbers manually and see if it
        helps.

        One other problem that I have noticed is that they place stylesheet
        at the very end. This is obviously convenient for generation, but is
        not a good idea, because it can cause a "flash of unstyled content"
        (google it) when a viewer is doing progressive rendering.

        Peter Sorotokin
        Adobe Systems Inc.

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Flavio" <flavio@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > i have the following document obtained from a demo version of
        PDF2SVG,
        > a PDFTRon product, and it looks very good with Internet Explore +
        ASV
        > but it renders very poorly with native SVG of Firefox 2.0.0.1.
        >
        > You can download the file here:
        >
        > http://mio.discoremoto.alice.it/byte64/CATALOGO_dicembre_2.svg
        >
        > However, even if in ASV is looking better, when i try to select
        > certain text elements, like the third last line in the bottom right
        > side of the page (the line beginning with the faint text "I
        > prezzi..."), ASV seems to go crazy (ASV version 3.03).
        >
        > If i look at the source, i can't say why that text is so tricky for
        ASV.
        > Is anyone able to explain this odd behaviour?
        >
        > As Adobe support is due to end in january 2008, are there any
        chances,
        > in case it's a bug, to get this fixed before then?
        >
        > Thank you
        > Flavio

      • Flavio
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
          Peter,
          thank you for the explanation.

          I will submit the problem to PDFTron, now i am sure it's something
          they ought to fix in their program, unless this happens only with the
          demo version.

          Bye,
          Flavio
        • inincic
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2007
            Regarding text selection we are simply converting information that is
            available in PDF documents. Adobe implemented robust text selection
            in Acrobat Reader, however the same does not apply to their SVG
            viewer. The ideal solution would be to make ASV as robust as the
            Acrobat Reader is for PDF files. Unfortunately, with Adobe dropping
            support for ASV & SVG, it seems that this will never happen. On our
            side, we will try to tweak the SVG output to better match the
            expected behavior in the current version of ASV.

            Regarding the missing random characters, this is only a limitation in
            the demo version of PDF2SVG and it does not occur in the production
            version (http://www.pdftron.com/pdf2svg/faq.html#demo1). If you would
            like you can send your test files to 'support at pdftron.com' and we
            will gladly convert the files to SVG using the production version.

            Ian
            PDFTron Systems Inc.
            www.pdftron.com