Re: setInterval() problems in Netscape

  • Kevin Lindsey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2000
      Alek wrote:
      > I'm on NT workstation using NN4.72 & IE5 your demo file works in
      > both... the weird thing is that in IE the time is always less than
      > 30
      > where in NN it's always greater than 50 sometime over 100.

      I ended up finding out what the problem was. I guess I didn't post my own
      answer properly. I posted it through the web interface at eGroups, but now
      I notice that I didn't get an email from the posting. I wonder if I should
      have received an email.

      The pages have been corrected, that's why they're working in Netscape now.
      It turned out that IE allows me to use the wrong case when calling
      getElementById().

      FYI, I have found that setInterval() is problematic with IE. When using
      setInterval() in IE, if you refresh your page, IE crashes. I've switched
      over to setTimeout() and the problem has gone away.

      >the weird thing is that in IE the time is always less than 30
      >where in NN it's always greater than 50 sometime over 100.

      I have other tests on that page too, but I get completely the opposite
      results. I'm on NT using NN4.7 and IE5.0. I've found that the larger the
      bounding box which encloses the area of the screen which will need to be
      redrawn, the slower the frame rate is in IE. Higher numbers are worse in my
      tests. However, in NN, the time doesn't fluctuate with my tests. I think
      that if I animated a large object, the times between IE and NN would be
      closer. I have that on my list of tests to try later today.

      Kevin