Re: carto:net - MapApp question

  • simonshutter
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
      Hi André,

      Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag on
      my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
      know the code well enough to understand the advice on
      currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
      however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.

      Right now I notice two things:

      a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
      and

      b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing over
      an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however, your
      tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume it
      is something I am not doing right in my code.

      Simon

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andre M. Winter - Carto.net"
      <ml.winter@...> wrote:

      > hi simon,
      >
      > the problem here is that andreas' navigationTools use the viewBox
      for
      > all zoom and pan techniques whereas the tooltip-function such as in
      here

      > http://svg.carto.net/srv/sourceAndFileViewer.php?
      filecode=98802&show=file

      > takes advantage of currentTranslate/currentScale parameters. these
      two
      > methods are more or less incompatible.
      > within a viewBox-based approach you need to scale and place the
      tooltip
      > rect according to zoom an an pan shifts. this brings you back to
      > calculating theoretic currentTranslate/currentScale values and you
      get
      > sitting between two seats. anyhow it is possible as seen here
      >
      > http://tirolatlas.uibk.ac.at/maps/interface/thema.py/menu?
      lang=de;id=163

      > andré
      >
      > --
      > andre m. winter,
      > cartography for internet and multimedia applications
      > schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
      > tel.: ++43.5234.32732
      > email: ml.winter@...
      >
      > new svg book with actual scripting samples out now!
      > check http://svg.carto.net/
      >

      > simonshutter wrote:
      > >
      > > Andreas/André et al.,
      > >
      > > Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip
      functionality
      > > in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but
      am
      > > unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.
      > >
      > > Thanks, Simon

    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
        yes, its easy to combine.

        just use a structure like this:

        <svg>
        <!-- screen oriented coordinate system -->
        <svg>
        <!-- map oriented coordinate system -->
        </svg>
        <g id="tooltip>
        <!-- this is where the tooltip geometry is placed. it has to be on
        top of everything else -->
        </g>
        </svg>

        There is an example at http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/gui/tooltips/
        that demonstrates just this structure. The map geometry can trigger
        the tooltip display, but the tooltips won't transform, since they are
        in the screen oriented coordinate system.

        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "simonshutter" <simon@...>
        wrote:

        > Andreas/André et al.,
        >
        > Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip
        functionality
        > in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but
        am
        > unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.
        >
        > Thanks, Simon

      • Andreas Neumann
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
          > Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag
          on
          > my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
          > know the code well enough to understand the advice on
          > currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
          > however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.

          its an alternative approach. not necessary if you follow the
          structure that I have given in the previous mail.

          > Right now I notice two things:
          >
          > a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
          > and

          yes, I noticed this behavior in several other examples as well but I
          don't know how to fix it. It very much looks like a bug in the Adobe
          SVG viewer in combination with IE since it does not appear in all the
          other viewers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Batik).

          > b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing
          over
          > an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however, your
          > tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume it
          > is something I am not doing right in my code.

          if you provide an example I can have a look at it.

          Andreas
        • simonshutter
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
            Andreas,

            Thank you for the responses. On closer inspection, it appears that
            the FF issue has two things going on. One is that the tool tip is
            appearing every time I mouse over an element. The other is that the
            tool tip code is appearing to not interpret an element's extent when
            it has been been transformed (translated and scaled). The issues do
            not occur when the tool tip code is used separately from the gui
            navigation code.

            I will email you a couple of examples to illustrate this.

            Simon

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
            <neumann@...> wrote:

            > > Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag
            > on
            > > my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
            > > know the code well enough to understand the advice on
            > > currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
            > > however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.
            >
            > its an alternative approach. not necessary if you follow the
            > structure that I have given in the previous mail.
            >
            > > Right now I notice two things:
            > >
            > > a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
            > > and
            >
            > yes, I noticed this behavior in several other examples as well but
            > don't know how to fix it. It very much looks like a bug in the
            Adobe
            > SVG viewer in combination with IE since it does not appear in all
            the
            > other viewers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Batik).
            >
            > > b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing
            > over
            > > an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however,
            your
            > > tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume
            it
            > > is something I am not doing right in my code.
            >
            > if you provide an example I can have a look at it.
            >
            > Andreas

          • Andreas Neumann
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
              Hi Simon,

              as I said the tooltip example is designed in a way that the tooltip
              geometry resides in a "screen oriented system", so in case of the
              mapping example where the elements in the map trigger the display of
              the tooltips, the tooltip group containing the tooltip geometry
              shouldn't be in the nested svg where the map geometry resides in. The
              tooltip code translates between the two systems.

              I saw that you sent me examples, so we'll take this discussion into
              the private to resolve the issue. Maybe there is an error on my side
              that I have to fix or maybe you just use it in a way I didn't intend.

              I'll have a look at your examples.

              'til later,