Re: [svg-developers] carto:net - MapApp question

  • Andre M. Winter - Carto.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
      hi simon,

      the problem here is that andreas' navigationTools use the viewBox for
      all zoom and pan techniques whereas the tooltip-function such as in here

      http://svg.carto.net/srv/sourceAndFileViewer.php?filecode=98802&show=file

      takes advantage of currentTranslate/currentScale parameters. these two
      methods are more or less incompatible.
      within a viewBox-based approach you need to scale and place the tooltip
      rect according to zoom an an pan shifts. this brings you back to
      calculating theoretic currentTranslate/currentScale values and you get
      sitting between two seats. anyhow it is possible as seen here

      http://tirolatlas.uibk.ac.at/maps/interface/thema.py/menu?lang=de;id=163

      andré

      andre m. winter,
      cartography for internet and multimedia applications
      schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
      tel.: ++43.5234.32732
      email: ml.winter@...

      new svg book with actual scripting samples out now!
      check http://svg.carto.net/

      simonshutter wrote:

      > Andreas/André et al.,
      >
      > Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip functionality
      > in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but am
      > unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.
      >
      > Thanks, Simon

    • simonshutter
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
        Hi André,

        Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag on
        my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
        know the code well enough to understand the advice on
        currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
        however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.

        Right now I notice two things:

        a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
        and

        b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing over
        an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however, your
        tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume it
        is something I am not doing right in my code.

        Simon

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andre M. Winter - Carto.net"
        <ml.winter@...> wrote:

        > hi simon,
        >
        > the problem here is that andreas' navigationTools use the viewBox
        for
        > all zoom and pan techniques whereas the tooltip-function such as in
        here

        > http://svg.carto.net/srv/sourceAndFileViewer.php?
        filecode=98802&show=file

        > takes advantage of currentTranslate/currentScale parameters. these
        two
        > methods are more or less incompatible.
        > within a viewBox-based approach you need to scale and place the
        tooltip
        > rect according to zoom an an pan shifts. this brings you back to
        > calculating theoretic currentTranslate/currentScale values and you
        get
        > sitting between two seats. anyhow it is possible as seen here
        >
        > http://tirolatlas.uibk.ac.at/maps/interface/thema.py/menu?
        lang=de;id=163

        > andré
        >
        > --
        > andre m. winter,
        > cartography for internet and multimedia applications
        > schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
        > tel.: ++43.5234.32732
        > email: ml.winter@...
        >
        > new svg book with actual scripting samples out now!
        > check http://svg.carto.net/
        >

        > simonshutter wrote:
        > >
        > > Andreas/André et al.,
        > >
        > > Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip
        functionality
        > > in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but
        am
        > > unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.
        > >
        > > Thanks, Simon

      • Andreas Neumann
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
          yes, its easy to combine.

          just use a structure like this:

          <svg>
          <!-- screen oriented coordinate system -->
          <svg>
          <!-- map oriented coordinate system -->
          </svg>
          <g id="tooltip>
          <!-- this is where the tooltip geometry is placed. it has to be on
          top of everything else -->
          </g>
          </svg>

          There is an example at http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/gui/tooltips/
          that demonstrates just this structure. The map geometry can trigger
          the tooltip display, but the tooltips won't transform, since they are
          in the screen oriented coordinate system.

          Andreas

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "simonshutter" <simon@...>
          wrote:

          > Andreas/André et al.,
          >
          > Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip
          functionality
          > in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but
          am
          > unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.
          >
          > Thanks, Simon

        • Andreas Neumann
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
            > Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag
            on
            > my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
            > know the code well enough to understand the advice on
            > currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
            > however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.

            its an alternative approach. not necessary if you follow the
            structure that I have given in the previous mail.

            > Right now I notice two things:
            >
            > a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
            > and

            yes, I noticed this behavior in several other examples as well but I
            don't know how to fix it. It very much looks like a bug in the Adobe
            SVG viewer in combination with IE since it does not appear in all the
            other viewers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Batik).

            > b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing
            over
            > an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however, your
            > tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume it
            > is something I am not doing right in my code.

            if you provide an example I can have a look at it.

            Andreas
          • simonshutter
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
              Andreas,

              Thank you for the responses. On closer inspection, it appears that
              the FF issue has two things going on. One is that the tool tip is
              appearing every time I mouse over an element. The other is that the
              tool tip code is appearing to not interpret an element's extent when
              it has been been transformed (translated and scaled). The issues do
              not occur when the tool tip code is used separately from the gui
              navigation code.

              I will email you a couple of examples to illustrate this.

              Simon

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
              <neumann@...> wrote:

              > > Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag
              > on
              > > my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
              > > know the code well enough to understand the advice on
              > > currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
              > > however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.
              >
              > its an alternative approach. not necessary if you follow the
              > structure that I have given in the previous mail.
              >
              > > Right now I notice two things:
              > >
              > > a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
              > > and
              >
              > yes, I noticed this behavior in several other examples as well but
              > don't know how to fix it. It very much looks like a bug in the
              Adobe
              > SVG viewer in combination with IE since it does not appear in all
              the
              > other viewers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Batik).
              >
              > > b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing
              > over
              > > an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however,
              your
              > > tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume
              it
              > > is something I am not doing right in my code.
              >
              > if you provide an example I can have a look at it.
              >
              > Andreas

            • Andreas Neumann
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
                Hi Simon,

                as I said the tooltip example is designed in a way that the tooltip
                geometry resides in a "screen oriented system", so in case of the
                mapping example where the elements in the map trigger the display of
                the tooltips, the tooltip group containing the tooltip geometry
                shouldn't be in the nested svg where the map geometry resides in. The
                tooltip code translates between the two systems.

                I saw that you sent me examples, so we'll take this discussion into
                the private to resolve the issue. Maybe there is an error on my side
                that I have to fix or maybe you just use it in a way I didn't intend.

                I'll have a look at your examples.

                'til later,