carto:net - MapApp question

  • simonshutter
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
      Andreas/André et al.,

      Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip functionality
      in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but am
      unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.

      Thanks, Simon
    • Andre M. Winter - Carto.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
        hi simon,

        the problem here is that andreas' navigationTools use the viewBox for
        all zoom and pan techniques whereas the tooltip-function such as in here

        http://svg.carto.net/srv/sourceAndFileViewer.php?filecode=98802&show=file

        takes advantage of currentTranslate/currentScale parameters. these two
        methods are more or less incompatible.
        within a viewBox-based approach you need to scale and place the tooltip
        rect according to zoom an an pan shifts. this brings you back to
        calculating theoretic currentTranslate/currentScale values and you get
        sitting between two seats. anyhow it is possible as seen here

        http://tirolatlas.uibk.ac.at/maps/interface/thema.py/menu?lang=de;id=163

        andré

        andre m. winter,
        cartography for internet and multimedia applications
        schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
        tel.: ++43.5234.32732
        email: ml.winter@...

        new svg book with actual scripting samples out now!
        check http://svg.carto.net/

        simonshutter wrote:

        > Andreas/André et al.,
        >
        > Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip functionality
        > in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but am
        > unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.
        >
        > Thanks, Simon

      • simonshutter
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
          Hi André,

          Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag on
          my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
          know the code well enough to understand the advice on
          currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
          however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.

          Right now I notice two things:

          a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
          and

          b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing over
          an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however, your
          tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume it
          is something I am not doing right in my code.

          Simon

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andre M. Winter - Carto.net"
          <ml.winter@...> wrote:

          > hi simon,
          >
          > the problem here is that andreas' navigationTools use the viewBox
          for
          > all zoom and pan techniques whereas the tooltip-function such as in
          here

          > http://svg.carto.net/srv/sourceAndFileViewer.php?
          filecode=98802&show=file

          > takes advantage of currentTranslate/currentScale parameters. these
          two
          > methods are more or less incompatible.
          > within a viewBox-based approach you need to scale and place the
          tooltip
          > rect according to zoom an an pan shifts. this brings you back to
          > calculating theoretic currentTranslate/currentScale values and you
          get
          > sitting between two seats. anyhow it is possible as seen here
          >
          > http://tirolatlas.uibk.ac.at/maps/interface/thema.py/menu?
          lang=de;id=163

          > andré
          >
          > --
          > andre m. winter,
          > cartography for internet and multimedia applications
          > schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
          > tel.: ++43.5234.32732
          > email: ml.winter@...
          >
          > new svg book with actual scripting samples out now!
          > check http://svg.carto.net/
          >

          > simonshutter wrote:
          > >
          > > Andreas/André et al.,
          > >
          > > Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip
          functionality
          > > in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but
          am
          > > unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.
          > >
          > > Thanks, Simon

        • Andreas Neumann
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
            yes, its easy to combine.

            just use a structure like this:

            <svg>
            <!-- screen oriented coordinate system -->
            <svg>
            <!-- map oriented coordinate system -->
            </svg>
            <g id="tooltip>
            <!-- this is where the tooltip geometry is placed. it has to be on
            top of everything else -->
            </g>
            </svg>

            There is an example at http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/gui/tooltips/
            that demonstrates just this structure. The map geometry can trigger
            the tooltip display, but the tooltips won't transform, since they are
            in the screen oriented coordinate system.

            Andreas

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "simonshutter" <simon@...>
            wrote:

            > Andreas/André et al.,
            >
            > Is it possible to combine the navigationTools and ToolTip
            functionality
            > in one file? I have successfully implemented both separately but
            am
            > unable to get tool tips to pop up when I combine them.
            >
            > Thanks, Simon

          • Andreas Neumann
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
              > Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag
              on
              > my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
              > know the code well enough to understand the advice on
              > currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
              > however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.

              its an alternative approach. not necessary if you follow the
              structure that I have given in the previous mail.

              > Right now I notice two things:
              >
              > a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
              > and

              yes, I noticed this behavior in several other examples as well but I
              don't know how to fix it. It very much looks like a bug in the Adobe
              SVG viewer in combination with IE since it does not appear in all the
              other viewers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Batik).

              > b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing
              over
              > an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however, your
              > tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume it
              > is something I am not doing right in my code.

              if you provide an example I can have a look at it.

              Andreas
            • simonshutter
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
                Andreas,

                Thank you for the responses. On closer inspection, it appears that
                the FF issue has two things going on. One is that the tool tip is
                appearing every time I mouse over an element. The other is that the
                tool tip code is appearing to not interpret an element's extent when
                it has been been transformed (translated and scaled). The issues do
                not occur when the tool tip code is used separately from the gui
                navigation code.

                I will email you a couple of examples to illustrate this.

                Simon

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
                <neumann@...> wrote:

                > > Interestingly, it does seem to work now. I was missing an id tag
                > on
                > > my parent svg element and that appears to have fixed it. I don't
                > > know the code well enough to understand the advice on
                > > currentTranslate/currentScale but I will look at it. As of now,
                > > however, it scales the tool tip text fine at various zoom scales.
                >
                > its an alternative approach. not necessary if you follow the
                > structure that I have given in the previous mail.
                >
                > > Right now I notice two things:
                > >
                > > a) In IE7/ASV3 if I refresh the page it leads to javascript errors
                > > and
                >
                > yes, I noticed this behavior in several other examples as well but
                > don't know how to fix it. It very much looks like a bug in the
                Adobe
                > SVG viewer in combination with IE since it does not appear in all
                the
                > other viewers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Batik).
                >
                > > b) In FF2.0 the tool tip background appears whether I am mousing
                > over
                > > an element or not. It doesn't do this in IE7/ASV3 - however,
                your
                > > tooltip demo on carto.net works fine for me in FF2.0 so I assume
                it
                > > is something I am not doing right in my code.
                >
                > if you provide an example I can have a look at it.
                >
                > Andreas

              • Andreas Neumann
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 9, 2007
                  Hi Simon,

                  as I said the tooltip example is designed in a way that the tooltip
                  geometry resides in a "screen oriented system", so in case of the
                  mapping example where the elements in the map trigger the display of
                  the tooltips, the tooltip group containing the tooltip geometry
                  shouldn't be in the nested svg where the map geometry resides in. The
                  tooltip code translates between the two systems.

                  I saw that you sent me examples, so we'll take this discussion into
                  the private to resolve the issue. Maybe there is an error on my side
                  that I have to fix or maybe you just use it in a way I didn't intend.

                  I'll have a look at your examples.

                  'til later,