Re: gzip php output

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hi Sean,

      I suggest doing this through Apache's mod_deflate (in Apache 2x) or
      mod_gzip (Apache 1.3x).

      Here is my configuration for Apache 2.0:

      LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \
      \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" (%{ratio}n%%)" combined
      CustomLog /var/log/apache2/cartonet.access_log "combined"

      <Directory "/some/path/cgi/">
      SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
      AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/svg+xml text/plain text/html
      # Don't compress images
      SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|gz)$ no-gzip dont-vary
      SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI mapserv? no-gzip dont-vary
      </Directory>

      You'd also have to enable mod_deflate like other Apache modules.

      Notice the log format definition. This way you see the compression
      rate in your web server log file.

      Works great for me with fast performance and without problems.

      Andreas

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Sean M Montague <scene@...>