Re: SVG 1.1 Layers : Help needed

  • Holger Wll
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2006
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com,
      "mostwantedsince198x" <mostwantedsince198x@...> wrote:

      Hi

      > Now we are trying to implement a new functionality, which is
      helpful
      > for theme designers.Instead of editing svg files individually , we
      > thought of collecting multiple SVG files and generate a single SVG
      > file that contains a background layer and one layer for each
      > individual SVG file. The layers shall be named so that when copying
      > back to the tool,each SVG can be identified and applied to the
      > corresponding elements. This will ease the job of designer , so he
      > can do the necessary batch processing in the layers.

      this is a great idea, but there is a major problem with this approach.
      as far as i know , no SVG editor supports editing shapes inside a
      group, you have to ungroup before editing the shapes, and then
      regroup after editing, but then all settings of the group, like
      transforms and ids ( or in case of a nested svg the viewbox etc. )
      are lost , so there is no way you can keep the structure ( and names
      ) you need.

      but that is a restriction of existing SVG editors, not an svg
      specific problem.

      > Now the problem is how can i structure the svg document in such a
      way
      > that each layer can accomodate one svg document , each has its on
      > viewBox attribute specified ?
      >
      > Does SVG have any builtin support for layers other than <g> tag ?

      in SVG Full you can have nested svg elements, like

      <svg>
      <svg viewBox=...>
      </svg>
      </svg>

      you could also use symbols which also have their own viewBox.
      but both dont solve the problem described above.

      cheers
      Holger
    • Pascal BENOIST
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2006
        Relativement à Inkscape, pouvez-vous m'aider à définir en SVG des symboles
        dont l'origine des coordonnées est au centre du symbole et non pas en haut à
        gauche comme proposé par défaut...
        Idéalement, je souhaite dessiner des symboles dont le code SVG ressemblerait
        à ceci (représentation d'un symbole de zoom+) :

        <circle cx="0" cy="0" r="5"/>
        <line x1="-4" y1="0" x2="4" y2="0"/>
        <line x1="0" y1="-4" x2="0" y2="4"/>

        Merci

        igeomatic
        Pascal BENOIST
        Consultant GIS, WebMapping, Photogrammetry
        12, chemin Tivoli
        CH-1213 PETIT-LANCY
        email:pbe@...
        http://www.igeomatic.com
        Mob: +33 (0)6 12 61 68 02
        Fixe: +33 (0)4 50 75 17 74

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 11, 2006

          Holger Wll wrote:
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com,
          > "mostwantedsince198x" <mostwantedsince198x@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi
          >
          >> Now we are trying to implement a new functionality, which is
          > helpful
          >> for theme designers.Instead of editing svg files individually , we
          >> thought of collecting multiple SVG files and generate a single SVG
          >> file that contains a background layer and one layer for each
          >> individual SVG file. The layers shall be named so that when copying
          >> back to the tool,each SVG can be identified and applied to the
          >> corresponding elements. This will ease the job of designer , so he
          >> can do the necessary batch processing in the layers.
          >>

          > this is a great idea, but there is a major problem with this approach.
          > as far as i know , no SVG editor supports editing shapes inside a
          > group, you have to ungroup before editing the shapes, and then
          > regroup after editing, but then all settings of the group, like
          > transforms and ids ( or in case of a nested svg the viewbox etc. )
          > are lost , so there is no way you can keep the structure ( and names
          > ) you need.
          >
          > but that is a restriction of existing SVG editors, not an svg
          > specific problem.
          >
          >> Now the problem is how can i structure the svg document in such a
          > way
          >> that each layer can accomodate one svg document , each has its on
          >> viewBox attribute specified ?
          >>
          >> Does SVG have any builtin support for layers other than <g> tag ?
          >>

          > in SVG Full you can have nested svg elements, like
          >
          > <svg>
          > <svg viewBox=...>
          > </svg>
          > </svg>
          >
          > you could also use symbols which also have their own viewBox.
          > but both dont solve the problem described above.
          >
          > cheers
          > Holger

          > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"
          > ----
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Charles McCathieNevile
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2006
            On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:15:06 +0900, Stéphane ANCELOT <sancelot@...>
            wrote:

            > Okay,
            > But you know, best support will be available to you if you speak english

            c'est vrai. Quand-même...

            Utilise viewbox, genre
            <svg viewbox="-50 -50 50 50">
            <g transform="translate(50 50)">
            les contenus
            </g>
            </svg>

            ou qqchose du genre...

            cheers

            Chaals

            > you need to use the transform attribute .
            > Best Regards
            > Steph

            > Pascal BENOIST wrote:
            >> Relativement à Inkscape, pouvez-vous m'aider à définir en SVG des
            >> symboles
            >> dont l'origine des coordonnées est au centre du symbole et non pas en
            >> haut à
            >> gauche comme proposé par défaut...
            >> Idéalement, je souhaite dessiner des symboles dont le code SVG
            >> ressemblerait
            >> à ceci (représentation d'un symbole de zoom+) :
            >>
            >> <circle cx="0" cy="0" r="5"/>
            >> <line x1="-4" y1="0" x2="4" y2="0"/>
            >> <line x1="0" y1="-4" x2="0" y2="4"/>

            chaals@... Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com
          • Stéphane ANCELOT
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 12, 2006

              Pascal BENOIST wrote:
              > Relativement à Inkscape, pouvez-vous m'aider à définir en SVG des symboles
              > dont l'origine des coordonnées est au centre du symbole et non pas en haut à
              > gauche comme proposé par défaut...
              > Idéalement, je souhaite dessiner des symboles dont le code SVG ressemblerait
              > à ceci (représentation d'un symbole de zoom+) :
              >
              > <circle cx="0" cy="0" r="5"/>
              > <line x1="-4" y1="0" x2="4" y2="0"/>
              > <line x1="0" y1="-4" x2="0" y2="4"/>
              >
              > Merci
              >
              > igeomatic
              > Pascal BENOIST
              > Consultant GIS, WebMapping, Photogrammetry
              > 12, chemin Tivoli
              > CH-1213 PETIT-LANCY
              > email:pbe@...
              > http://www.igeomatic.com
              > Mob: +33 (0)6 12 61 68 02
              > Fixe: +33 (0)4 50 75 17 74

            • Pascal BENOIST
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 13, 2006
                Thanks for your answers…

                Excuse me, i did not know that it was absolutely forbidden to write in
                another language than English !!!

                Pascal BENOIST
                pascal.benoist11@...
                Mob: +33 (0)6 12 61 68 02
                Fixe: +33 (0)4 50 75 17 74

                _____

                > But you know, best support will be available to you if you speak english

                c'est vrai. Quand-même...

                Utilise viewbox, genre
                <svg viewbox="-50 -50 50 50">
                <g transform="translate(50 50)">
                les contenus
                </g>
                </svg>

                ou qqchose du genre...

                cheers

                Chaals

                > you need to use the transform attribute .
                > Best Regards
                > Steph

                > Pascal BENOIST wrote:
                >> Relativement à Inkscape, pouvez-vous m'aider à définir en SVG des
                >> symboles
                >> dont l'origine des coordonnées est au centre du symbole et non pas en
                >> haut à
                >> gauche comme proposé par défaut...
                >> Idéalement, je souhaite dessiner des symboles dont le code SVG
                >> ressemblerait
                >> à ceci (représentation d'un symbole de zoom+) :
                >>
                >> <circle cx="0" cy="0" r="5"/>
                >> <line x1="-4" y1="0" x2="4" y2="0"/>
                >> <line x1="0" y1="-4" x2="0" y2="4"/>

                chaals@opera. <mailto:chaals%40opera.com> com Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.
                <http://opera.com> com

              • Guy Morton
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 13, 2006
                  It's not forbidden, it's just that most of us have at best a
                  smattering of high-school French, so if you want answers you *may*
                  have to lower yourself to our level. ;-)

                  OR

                  On ne l'interdit pas, il est seulement que la plupart d'entre nous a
                  au mieux un notion du Français de lycée, ainsi si vous voulez des
                  réponses vous * pouvez * devez vous abaisser à notre niveau.

                  That probably makes no sense, but hey, my Mac tried its best... :-)

                  Guy

                • Matthew Ganz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 13, 2006
                    hi.

                    in my limited understanding of french i believe i'm facing a similar situation. i'm trying to set a registration point on my object. my object is basically a pin and i group it like this:

                    <g>
                    <circle fill="#FF4000" stroke="#000000" cx="10.467" cy="7.908" r="7.408"/>
                    <line fill="#FFBF00" stroke="#000000" x1="5.667" y1="13.508" x2="0.466" y2="26.907"/>
                    <line fill="#FFBF00" stroke="#000000" x1="10.1" y1="15.208" x2="0.466" y2="26.907"/>
                    <text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 1.9038 36.2236)" font-family="'Myriad-Bold'" font-size="10">12345</text>
                    </g>

                    the svg element that is output by adobe illustrator looks like this:
                    <svg version="1.1" id="Layer_1" xmlns="&ns_svg;" xmlns:xlink="&ns_xlink;" width="18" height="27" viewBox="0 0 18 27"
                    overflow="visible" enable-background="new 0 0 18 27" xml:space="preserve">

                    when i place my object in a pdf i'd like to place it with a registration point at the bottom left instead of the top left. but when i change my code to this it doesn't work.
                    <svg version="1.1" id="Layer_1" xmlns="&ns_svg;" xmlns:xlink="&ns_xlink;" width="18" height="27" viewBox="-18 -27 18 27"
                    overflow="visible" enable-background="new 0 0 18 27" xml:space="preserve">

                    and then my <g> element to this:
                    <g transform="translate(18 27)">

                    am i approaching this correctly or am i unable to change the registration point of an object?

                    thanks. -- matt.