Renesis Player 0.2 Release

  • emiasys
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hello,

      Just a short notice that the Renesis Player 0.2 has been released
      today as promised. See http://www.EmiaSys.NET for more information.

      Regards,
      Alexander Adam
      Emia Systems - http://www.emiasys.com
      Renesis Community - http://www.emiasys.net
    • revelonshift
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
        Seems to be as fast as previously but with a bit more compatible API
        and working as plugin also. Not bad, but still many of my static SVG
        files won't display under renesism so some more work is surely
        necessary. But besides ... is not bad that Renesis is not dead :-)

        M.

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "emiasys" <emiasys@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Just a short notice that the Renesis Player 0.2 has been released
        > today as promised. See http://www.EmiaSys.NET for more information.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Alexander Adam
        > Emia Systems - http://www.emiasys.com
        > Renesis Community - http://www.emiasys.net

      • Andreas Neumann
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2006
          yes, the new functionality (ActiveX, Shell extension, context menue,
          etc) is definitely useful. Thanks for making it available.

          For serious testing it seems a bit too early. Most of my Javascript/
          DOM examples don't yet work due to missing DOM functionality.

          Thanks for making the plugin/viewer available and good luck with
          implementing new features. Please let us know if there is progress
          with the DOM functions so we can do better testing.

          Andreas

          "revelonshift" <marek.raida@...> wrote:

          > Seems to be as fast as previously but with a bit more compatible API
          > and working as plugin also. Not bad, but still many of my static SVG
          > files won't display under renesism so some more work is surely
          > necessary. But besides ... is not bad that Renesis is not dead :-)
          >
          > M.

        • emiasys
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2006
            Andreas,

            It might be helpful to us if you could detail us which DOM
            functionality you'd need so that we can implement the most important
            things first.

            Regards,
            Alexander Adam
            Emia Systems
            htpp://www.emiasys.net

            > yes, the new functionality (ActiveX, Shell extension, context menue,
            > etc) is definitely useful. Thanks for making it available.
            >
            > For serious testing it seems a bit too early. Most of my Javascript/
            > DOM examples don't yet work due to missing DOM functionality.
            >
            > Thanks for making the plugin/viewer available and good luck with
            > implementing new features. Please let us know if there is progress
            > with the DOM functions so we can do better testing.
            >
            > Andreas
            >
            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com,
            > "revelonshift" <marek.raida@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Seems to be as fast as previously but with a bit more compatible API
            > > and working as plugin also. Not bad, but still many of my static SVG
            > > files won't display under renesism so some more work is surely
            > > necessary. But besides ... is not bad that Renesis is not dead :-)
            > >
            > > M.

          • Jeff Schiller
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
              I'm glad to see Renesis is inching closer to being a plugin for SVG
              content in Internet Explorer, though I'm finding it far from usable
              at the moment. I haven't realy touched on any DOM issues yet.

              Disclaimer: I've never written any SVGT 1.2 content yet, so this is
              my first attempt.

              1) http://www.codedread.com/svg12test.svg does not show that any SVGT
              1.2 feature strings are implemented yet. Is this correct? At this
              stage, you need to be extremely accurate with what you implement so
              that people can plan accordingly.

              2) When I try to reload/refresh any SVG document in the browser, the
              browser shows me a blank page.

              3) Why can't I see the source of the SVG file? Please provide this
              in the right-click context menu going forward.

              4) http://www.codedread.com/svgtest.svg also says that no SVG 1.0 or
              1.1 feature strings are implemented. Are you planning to support SVG
              1.1 at all? Seems like all other plugins and native implementations
              in the desktop browser space are currently targetting SVG 1.1 and
              none yet support SVG 1.2. If you support some of SVG 1.1 then it
              will really ease your adoption into the IE plugin space. (I
              certainly would like to experiment with SVG 1.2 Tiny in the desktop
              too, but for practical purposes, SVG 1.1 Full is where the browsers
              are at the moment).

              5) The document http://www.codedread.com/svghead.svg doesn't have a
              gradient fill in the word "CodeDread" and is completely missing my
              email address text. Please compare to Firefox 1.5/2.0 and Opera 9.

              6) The document http://www.codedread.com/svgnav.svg only shows the
              text, the button graphics are missing. There is no script behavior
              either. Please compare to Firefox 1.5/2.0 and Opera 9.

              Congratulations on getting a step closer, and I appreciate your
              efforts, but because of the above simple issues I won't be looking at
              Renesis until the next version. Please keep up the pace and get us
              something that we can use even for static images soon.

              Thanks,
              Jeff

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "emiasys" <emiasys@...> wrote:

              > Andreas,
              >
              > It might be helpful to us if you could detail us which DOM
              > functionality you'd need so that we can implement the most important
              > things first.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Alexander Adam
              > Emia Systems
              > htpp://www.emiasys.net
              >
              > > yes, the new functionality (ActiveX, Shell extension, context
              menue,
              > > etc) is definitely useful. Thanks for making it available.
              > >
              > > For serious testing it seems a bit too early. Most of my
              Javascript/
              > > DOM examples don't yet work due to missing DOM functionality.
              > >
              > > Thanks for making the plugin/viewer available and good luck with
              > > implementing new features. Please let us know if there is
              progress
              > > with the DOM functions so we can do better testing.
              > >
              > > Andreas
              > >
              > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com,
              > > "revelonshift" <marek.raida@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Seems to be as fast as previously but with a bit more
              compatible API
              > > > and working as plugin also. Not bad, but still many of my
              static SVG
              > > > files won't display under renesism so some more work is surely
              > > > necessary. But besides ... is not bad that Renesis is not dead
              :-)

              > > > M.

            • Andreas Neumann
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 9, 2006
                Hi Alexander,

                I don't have the time to go into details here.

                For building any serious interactive SVG applications, support of all
                the events listed at http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/
                interact.html#SVGEvents and the evt object with all its properties
                and methods is absolutely necessary. Additionally, the DOM element
                traversal methods are important
                (.firstChild, .nextSibling, .parentNode, .lastChild, etc.),
                document.getElementById(), .getElementsByTagName(), etc.

                Furthermore the DOM manipulation methods, such as
                .createElementNS(), .appendChild(),
                removeChild(), .replaceChild(), .cloneNode(), .setAttributeNS(), .removeAttributeNS(), .hasAttributeNS(),
                etc. are essential.

                For any Geometry manipulations, the PATH DOM properties and methods,
                such as .getTotalLength(), .getPointAtLength(),

                An absolutely essential method is the .getScreenCTM() which is
                unfortunately missing in ASV3. It helps to translate evt.clientX/Y
                coordinates into the coordinate systems where the elements reside.

                http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/gui/ - lists a few SVG GUI elements
                that make use of JS/DOM. I believe they reflect rather well the DOM
                methods an average SVG 1.1 application might need. Of course there
                are additional useful methods out there, but if your viewer can
                handle the GUI elements listed at http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/
                gui/ I am sure your viewer will be able to display around 75% of the
                scripted SVG content out there.

                BTW, here is a useful resource when working with the DOM:
                http://phrogz.net/ObjJob/objects.asp?langID=1
                It has cross-references to other W3C standards.

                Good luck and let me know if you need more information from me. Maybe
                other developers can add what they need most urgently.

                Andreas

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "emiasys" <emiasys@...> wrote:

                > Andreas,
                >
                > It might be helpful to us if you could detail us which DOM
                > functionality you'd need so that we can implement the most important
                > things first.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Alexander Adam
                > Emia Systems
                > htpp://www.emiasys.net
                >
                > > yes, the new functionality (ActiveX, Shell extension, context
                menue,
                > > etc) is definitely useful. Thanks for making it available.
                > >
                > > For serious testing it seems a bit too early. Most of my
                Javascript/
                > > DOM examples don't yet work due to missing DOM functionality.
                > >
                > > Thanks for making the plugin/viewer available and good luck with
                > > implementing new features. Please let us know if there is
                progress
                > > with the DOM functions so we can do better testing.
                > >
                > > Andreas
                > >
                > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com,
                > > "revelonshift" <marek.raida@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Seems to be as fast as previously but with a bit more
                compatible API
                > > > and working as plugin also. Not bad, but still many of my
                static SVG
                > > > files won't display under renesism so some more work is surely
                > > > necessary. But besides ... is not bad that Renesis is not dead
                :-)

                > > > M.

              • Chris Lilley
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 11, 2006
                  On Monday, October 9, 2006, 4:00:06 PM, Jeff wrote:

                  JS> 4) http://www.codedread.com/svgtest.svg also says that no SVG 1.0 or
                  JS> 1.1 feature strings are implemented. Are you planning to support SVG
                  JS> 1.1 at all?

                  I think that more likely means that the 'feature strings' feature is not implemented.

                  JS> Seems like all other plugins and native implementations
                  JS> in the desktop browser space are currently targetting SVG 1.1 and
                  JS> none yet support SVG 1.2.

                  I am aware of four SVGT 1.2 implementations, three of them publicly announced, and (a different) three of them also running on the desktop as well as mobile devices.

                  JS> If you support some of SVG 1.1 then it
                  JS> will really ease your adoption into the IE plugin space. (I
                  JS> certainly would like to experiment with SVG 1.2 Tiny in the desktop
                  JS> too, but for practical purposes, SVG 1.1 Full is where the browsers
                  JS> are at the moment).

                  I agree that for the desktop, supporting Full 1.1 as well as Tiny 1.2 is needed.

                  JS> 5) The document http://www.codedread.com/svghead.svg doesn't have a
                  JS> gradient fill in the word "CodeDread" and is completely missing my
                  JS> email address text. Please compare to Firefox 1.5/2.0 and Opera 9.

                  Aside - the font family should be 'Copperplate Gothic' not 'Copperplate Gothic Bold', no?

                  --
                  Chris Lilley mailto:chris@...
                  Interaction Domain Leader
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 11, 2006
                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lilley <chris@...> wrote:

                    > On Monday, October 9, 2006, 4:00:06 PM, Jeff wrote:
                    >
                    > JS> 4) http://www.codedread.com/svgtest.svg also says that no SVG
                    1.0 or
                    > JS> 1.1 feature strings are implemented. Are you planning to
                    support SVG
                    > JS> 1.1 at all?
                    >
                    > I think that more likely means that the 'feature strings' feature
                    is not implemented.

                    Yes, probably. Seems like a pretty important feature to get working
                    in a partial implementation though ;)

                    > JS> Seems like all other plugins and native implementations
                    > JS> in the desktop browser space are currently targetting SVG 1.1
                    and
                    > JS> none yet support SVG 1.2.
                    >
                    > I am aware of four SVGT 1.2 implementations, three of them publicly
                    announced, and (a different) three of them also running on the
                    desktop as well as mobile devices.

                    Chris, thanks for this - can you share the publicly announced ones
                    here?

                    Regards,
                    Jeff
                  • Chris Lilley
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
                      On Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 4:35:05 PM, Jeff wrote:

                      JS> --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lilley <chris@...> wrote:

                      >> I am aware of four SVGT 1.2 implementations, three of them publicly
                      >> announced, and (a different) three of them also running on the
                      >> desktop as well as mobile devices.

                      JS> Chris, thanks for this - can you share the publicly announced ones
                      JS> here?

                      Ikivo Multimedia SVG Player
                      http://www.ikivo.com/02player.html
                      Commercial, oem license.

                      BitFlash SVG Tiny 1.2 player
                      http://www.bitflash.com/prod_playerMain.html
                      Commercial, oem license.

                      Osmo4/GPAC, from ENST
                      http://gpac.sourceforge.net/index.php
                      Open source. Must be compiled, binaries not
                      redistributable for MPEG license reasons
                      1.1 results available http://gpac.sourceforge.net/feat_n_svg.php

                      All three implementors are represented in the SVG WG.

                      Besides Renesis, already mentioned in the subject of this thread, are
                      there any others? I'm happy to hear on-list for announced ones and
                      privately <chris@...> - will be kept w3c team confidential) for
                      others.

                      --
                      Chris Lilley mailto:chris@...
                      Interaction Domain Leader
                      Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
                      W3C Graphics Activity Lead
                      Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
                    • andrewgirow
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
                        Chris,

                        You have mentioned that there are three (four) SVGT 1.2
                        implementations. I would like to ask a couple of questions about it.

                        Question 1:
                        Have the SVGT 1.2 Test Suite been published? Is it
                        ready/appoved/composed?

                        I've read at the
                        http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.2/Tiny/ImpReport.html dated
                        2006/08/10 that:
                        "The SVG Tiny 1.2 testsuite will be composed of:
                        SVG 1.1 tests, converted to SVG Tiny 1.2
                        Test contributions from implementors,converted to the SVG WG test
                        format
                        Additional tests created as required based on an analysis of test
                        coverage of the specification."

                        You wrote that "I am aware of four SVGT 1.2 implementations"

                        Question 2:
                        Does it mean that there is some closed (private) SVGT 1.2 Test Suite
                        matrix and W3C group can check any given SVG engine against it and
                        annonce the engine as "SVGT 1.2 implementation"?

                        Iam just curious how it works...

                        Thanks in advance,
                        Andrew

                        wrote:

                        > On Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 4:35:05 PM, Jeff wrote:
                        >
                        > JS> --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lilley <chris@>
                        wrote:

                        > >> I am aware of four SVGT 1.2 implementations, three of them
                        publicly
                        > >> announced, and (a different) three of them also running on the
                        > >> desktop as well as mobile devices.
                        >
                        > JS> Chris, thanks for this - can you share the publicly announced
                        ones
                        > JS> here?
                        >
                        > Ikivo Multimedia SVG Player
                        > http://www.ikivo.com/02player.html
                        > Commercial, oem license.
                        >
                        > BitFlash SVG Tiny 1.2 player
                        > http://www.bitflash.com/prod_playerMain.html
                        > Commercial, oem license.
                        >
                        > Osmo4/GPAC, from ENST
                        > http://gpac.sourceforge.net/index.php
                        > Open source. Must be compiled, binaries not
                        > redistributable for MPEG license reasons
                        > 1.1 results available http://gpac.sourceforge.net/feat_n_svg.php
                        >
                        > All three implementors are represented in the SVG WG.
                        >
                        > Besides Renesis, already mentioned in the subject of this thread,
                        are
                        > there any others? I'm happy to hear on-list for announced ones and
                        > privately <chris@...> - will be kept w3c team confidential) for
                        > others.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Chris Lilley mailto:chris@...
                        > Interaction Domain Leader
                        > Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
                        > W3C Graphics Activity Lead
                        > Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG

                      • Robin Berjon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 12, 2006
                          On Oct 12, 2006, at 17:33, andrewgirow wrote:
                          > Question 1:
                          > Have the SVGT 1.2 Test Suite been published? Is it
                          > ready/appoved/composed?

                          It hasn't been published yet, but it is being actively worked on.

                          > You wrote that "I am aware of four SVGT 1.2 implementations"

                          They haven't been formally tested as such, and some are known to be
                          incomplete (at least they were last I toyed with). They are however
                          Tiny 1.2 in intent, and those that aren't complete are getting there
                          fast.

                          > Question 2:
                          > Does it mean that there is some closed (private) SVGT 1.2 Test Suite
                          > matrix and W3C group can check any given SVG engine against it and
                          > annonce the engine as "SVGT 1.2 implementation"?

                          No, the tests are private while they are being worked on (largely
                          because we don't want people to test against a suite that hasn't been
                          properly reviewed), but it's going to be published, and the matrix of
                          results will be public.

                          --
                          Robin Berjon
                          Senior Research Scientist
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
                            On Thursday, October 12, 2006, 4:33:01 PM, andrewgirow wrote:

                            a> Chris,

                            a> You have mentioned that there are three (four) SVGT 1.2
                            a> implementations. I would like to ask a couple of questions about it.

                            a> Question 1:
                            a> Have the SVGT 1.2 Test Suite been published?

                            No, it has not been published.The WG is busy constructing it. Sofar the tests come from three sources:

                            a) 1.1 test suite (ne version about tobe published)
                            b) test contributions fromimplementors
                            c) tests we are writing to fill the gaps

                            a> Is it
                            a> ready/appoved/composed?

                            Not yet.

                            a> I've read at the
                            a> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.2/Tiny/ImpReport.html dated
                            a> 2006/08/10 that:
                            a> "The SVG Tiny 1.2 testsuite will be composed of:
                            a> SVG 1.1 tests, converted to SVG Tiny 1.2
                            a> Test contributions from implementors,converted to the SVG WG test
                            a> format
                            a> Additional tests created as required based on an analysis of test
                            a> coverage of the specification."

                            a> You wrote that "I am aware of four SVGT 1.2 implementations"

                            a> Question 2:
                            a> Does it mean that there is some closed (private) SVGT 1.2 Test Suite
                            a> matrix

                            Not currently

                            a> and W3C group can check any given SVG engine against it and
                            a> annonce the engine as "SVGT 1.2 implementation"?

                            I said there were implementations. I didn't state they were tested as 100% compliant. Several of those implementations have been tested against individual 1.2 tests during WG discussions.

                            a> Iam just curious how it works...

                            Once we have an initial 1.2 testsuite, we will release those tests that have been reviewed (ie,thatwe think are reasonable tests witha reasonable test description and a correct reference image).