Re: [svg-developers] "Data not available"

  • Jonathan Chetwynd
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
      Guy,

      are you sure the links aren't local?
      eg the adobe one clearly isn't

      cheers

      Jonathan Chetwynd

      On 2 Aug 2006, at 07:51, Guy Morton wrote:

      I'm hoping someone more experienced than I can chuck us a clue on
      this one.

      We have a user of our app that claims that they can see the little
      Adobe-provided "Spinning balls" SVG movie but that when they go to
      load our app all they see is a message in plain text saying "Data not
      available".

      We thought this might be due to them having an older version of the
      plugin, but we tried our app in v2 of the plugin and it partially
      loads, so we figure it's not that.

      The user's browsers passes our detection routine, which uses the
      usual test-creation of an activeX object. The user is using IE 6 and
      WinXP.

      The text string "Data not available" does not appear in our
      application anywhere, so we are pretty sure we're not emitting that
      message.

      Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

      Guy
    • Guy Morton
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hi Jonathan. No, the SVG is definitely not local for her.

        I've received new screenshots from the user which look more like the
        partial loading i saw in v2 of ASV, so am reasonably convinced that's
        the cause, but if anyone else has ideas please pass them along!

        regards Guy

        On 03/08/2006, at 2:18 AM, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

        > Guy,
        >
        > are you sure the links aren't local?
        > eg the adobe one clearly isn't
        >
        > cheers
        >
        > Jonathan Chetwynd
        >

        > On 2 Aug 2006, at 07:51, Guy Morton wrote:
        >
        > I'm hoping someone more experienced than I can chuck us a clue on
        > this one.
        >
        > We have a user of our app that claims that they can see the little
        > Adobe-provided "Spinning balls" SVG movie but that when they go to
        > load our app all they see is a message in plain text saying "Data not
        > available".
        >
        > We thought this might be due to them having an older version of the
        > plugin, but we tried our app in v2 of the plugin and it partially
        > loads, so we figure it's not that.
        >
        > The user's browsers passes our detection routine, which uses the
        > usual test-creation of an activeX object. The user is using IE 6 and
        > WinXP.
        >
        > The text string "Data not available" does not appear in our
        > application anywhere, so we are pretty sure we're not emitting that
        > message.
        >
        > Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
        >
        > Guy
        >

        > -----
        > To unsubscribe send a message to: svg-developers-
        > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > my membership"
        > ----
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Phi Tran
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
          On 8/2/06, Guy Morton <guy@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jonathan. No, the SVG is definitely not local for her.
          >
          > I've received new screenshots from the user which look more like the
          > partial loading i saw in v2 of ASV, so am reasonably convinced that's
          > the cause, but if anyone else has ideas please pass them along!
          >
          > regards Guy

          On 03/08/2006, at 2:18 AM, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

          > > Guy,
          > >
          > > are you sure the links aren't local?
          > > eg the adobe one clearly isn't
          > >
          > > cheers
          > >
          > > Jonathan Chetwynd
          > >

          > > On 2 Aug 2006, at 07:51, Guy Morton wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm hoping someone more experienced than I can chuck us a clue on
          > > this one.
          > >
          > > We have a user of our app that claims that they can see the little
          > > Adobe-provided "Spinning balls" SVG movie but that when they go to
          > > load our app all they see is a message in plain text saying "Data not
          > > available".
          > >
          > > We thought this might be due to them having an older version of the
          > > plugin, but we tried our app in v2 of the plugin and it partially
          > > loads, so we figure it's not that.
          > >
          > > The user's browsers passes our detection routine, which uses the
          > > usual test-creation of an activeX object. The user is using IE 6 and
          > > WinXP.
          > >
          > > The text string "Data not available" does not appear in our
          > > application anywhere, so we are pretty sure we're not emitting that
          > > message.
          > >
          > > Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
          > >
          > > Guy
          > >

          > > -----
          > > To unsubscribe send a message to: svg-developers-
          > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > -or-
          > > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit
          > > my membership"
          > > ----
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Please don't get me on this. But on me, it had happened similar to this.
          - I strongly suspect that there's too many "elements" in that DOM. I don't
          know how large is your SVG? + your HTML. For Large SVG + other elements of
          the DOM will cause the client behave differently from system to system-
          Depend on how much memory and how many process that system is running. I
          has happened to me before.

          Hope this help.

          Phi

          --
          Phi - Tran
          Hugely increase your speed, saving your band-width with ZipProtocol

        • Gabriel TRAN
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
            >AddType image/svg+xml .svg
            >AddType image/svg+xml .svgz
            >AddEncoding gzip .svgz

            >into a file and rename it to .htaccess and upload this file to your webspaces root directory.
            >that should do the trick.

            It works, great. And surprisingly, I didn't have much to change to make it work on Firefox.
            This yahoo group seems a great help, I'm glad I entered it ! Thank you guys

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
              Hi Phi

              I don't think that's it. Our SVG is about 80k, then there's about
              another 80k of external scripts and then 10k or so of html. It runs
              fine on a 500MHz P3 win 98 box with 32Mb of RAM. The user in question
              has a more modern and faster PC than that.

              We're now pretty sure the symptoms we're seeing are down to the user
              trying to load it up in ASV v2.0. If we find out different I'll let
              the list know.

              On this, I find it interesting that few of the SVG detection routines
              I've seen (and copied from :-) have included detection of the ASV
              version. We've now added that to ours, because of this problem.

              I'm surprised every SVG developer isn't doing the same, especially
              when I was told that ASV 2.0 was apparently bundled with Acrobat
              reader 5.0, and so could be installed on lots of PCs.

              How do people know their SVG isn't silently failing to work, with the
              end user believing they are SVG capable while actually seeing your
              content displayed in the ASV2.0 plugin?

              Guy

            • Phi Tran
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                Hi Guy.

                Just to throw out some thing that has happen on mine.

                I have 256K Windows XP. And the ceiling is about 5500 element for the whole
                system to then the IE will start to mess me up by partial load some of the
                images.

                I have actual created a simple HTML page each time a user click a button the
                I use Javascript to create 1000 elements (div). I hope this is not on your
                case. (if you remember the challenge Francis post on this list- -Last
                december- I have to write a utility to reduce the number of totoal element
                from 7000 to 3000 element in order to make it works). Sorry if it does not
                help you much.

                Phi.