Re: access to data underlying feDisplacementMap?

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006

      getting color values at a given pixel position is currently not possible.

      We are discussing this for SVG version 1.2 full as there are already many use cases. Its not
      in the upcoming SVG tiny spec, though.

      Andreas

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

      > Is it possible to read pixel values (RGBA) in SVG? The feDisplacementMap
      > filter "primitive" does something very cool which is to use the pixel values
      > from image A to distort image B. Hence at some lower level those pixel
      > values are made accessible to SVG so that the filter primitive might do its
      > work. I'm thinking of something like the getTotalLength and getPointAtLength
      > methods associated with Bezier curves in the <path> object -- those loci
      > need to be known anyhow for the browser to be able to render the path, so
      > why not let them be obtainable by the SVG developer? (Just for fun I applied
      > a displacement map to a path and then interrogated its points after it had
      > been distorted, but so far as SVG seemed to know, its coordinates were still
      > the same).

    • ddailey
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006

        > getting color values at a given pixel position is currently not possible.
        >
        > We are discussing this for SVG version 1.2 full as there are already many
        > use cases. Its not
        > in the upcoming SVG tiny spec, though.
        >
        > Andreas

        Thanks for the info Andreas.

        regards,
        David
      • Christophe Strobbe
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
          Hi Andreas,

          At 17:55 1/08/2006, Andreas wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >getting color values at a given pixel position is currently not possible.
          >
          >We are discussing this for SVG version 1.2 full as there are already many
          >use cases. Its not
          >in the upcoming SVG tiny spec, though.

          Do you have a pointer for this (a use case or a requirement)? I can't seem
          to find this in http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2Reqs/ or
          http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/.

          Regards,

          Christophe

          --
          Christophe Strobbe
          Document Architectures

        • Andreas Neumann
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
            > >We are discussing this for SVG version 1.2 full as there are
            already many
            > >use cases. Its not
            > >in the upcoming SVG tiny spec, though.
            >
            > Do you have a pointer for this (a use case or a requirement)? I
            can't seem
            > to find this in http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2Reqs/ or
            > http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/.

            Hi Christophe,

            here is one:
            http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/dom.html

            the getPixel() method on an SVGImage.

            I haven't investigated that in detail though, what it actually does.

            Once the WG is working on SVG 1.2 full again, it will be revisited.

            If it turns out to be a feature that is very complex and unreliable
            to implement (as Thomas said), it may be skipped, though.

            Andreas