Re: [svg-developers] getElementFromPoint

  • Holger Will
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006

      Hi Gabriel

      welcome to the SVG Developers List,

      >>This is my first question here. I am programming a breakout-like game
      (arkanoid-like if you prefer), just for fun and for discovering SVG
      possibilities. It is not very easy to find help on SVG ecmascript
      >>programming (so if you have some links, please send them to me ;)

      i have a very rudimentary unfinished breakout like game here:
      http://www.treebuilder.de/svg/arkanoid/v3.svg
      and this is how i do the reflection part:
      http://www.treebuilder.de/svg/arkanoid/v2.svg

      >>Here's the point: I would like to get an element from a x,y point
      (like in HTML), or at least get the color of the image at this point. I
      could program a function, but first I would like to make sure it does
      not >>exist. Does anyone know such a function ?
      there are four methods of the SVGSVGElement (
      http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#InterfaceSVGSVGElement ) which
      you could use:

      NodeList getIntersectionList ( in SVGRect rect, in SVGElement referenceElement );
      NodeList getEnclosureList ( in SVGRect rect, in SVGElement referenceElement );
      boolean checkIntersection ( in SVGElement element, in SVGRect rect );
      boolean checkEnclosure ( in SVGElement element, in SVGRect rect );

      but unfortunatly they are not implemented anywhere. i doubt that you
      will be able to write a function to get a points color either, as there
      are no pixels in SVG, and therefor you dont have access to pixel values.

      hth
      Holger

      --

      if this information was useful, please try to help someone else !
      My Private Homepage: http://www.treebuilder.de
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
        > Hi Gabriel
        > welcome to the SVG Developers List,

        Thank you for the answer Holger and the welcome message.

        > i have a very rudimentary unfinished breakout like game here:
        >http://www.treebuil der.de/svg/ arkanoid/ v3.svg
        >and this is how i do the reflection part:
        >http://www.treebuil der.de/svg/ arkanoid/ v2.svg

        I can see we did not start in the same direction. Right now I have a moving cursor, balls that rebound on walls and top side of the cursor. I will change method for collision detection. The only problem will be collisions between balls and with the site of the cursor (round), as I have to calculate angles, and my engineering school is already too far behind me. I will let the list know when I have something functional.

        By the way, I have a domain handled by 1&1, but the server is not configured the right way, and they won't change it. My SVG is not readable from Firefox :/ (I have to use Internet Explorer...). Any idea to solve this ? Any news on Firefox next versions ?

        Gabriel

      • Holger Will
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006

          /"I will let the list know when I have something functional."

          /great, please do so , i'm looking forward to see your work.

          /"By the way, I have a domain handled by 1&1, but the server is not
          configured the right way, and they won't change it. My SVG is not
          readable from Firefox : / (I have to use Internet Explorer...). Any idea
          to solve this ?"/

          if its an Apache server, its simple, just put the following lines

          AddType image/svg+xml .svg
          AddType image/svg+xml .svgz
          AddEncoding gzip .svgz

          into a file and rename it to .htaccess and upload this file to your webspaces root directory.
          that should do the trick.
          see also: http://jwatt.org/svg/authoring/#server-configuration and http://wiki.svg.org/Server_Configuration:Apache

          ** <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Htaccess>/"Any news on Firefox next
          versions ?"
          /
          the next version of firefox will be Firfox 2.0 there is allready a
          public beta you can download here:
          http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2006/07/12/firefox-2-beta-1-milestone-released/
          if you find any bugs , there is still the chance to get them fixed for
          the 2.0 release. there will not be many new features though, but a lot
          of bug fixes.
          significant new features are support for textpath and support for dom
          functions for handling text (like getComputedTextLength() ...).
          the real work is being done on the 3.0 version ( filters , masks , maybe
          animation , general speed up, reduced memory consumption ... ) you can
          get the latest alpha version (codename minefield, and it really is a
          minefield, its not quite stable yet ;-) here:
          http://www.mozilla.org/developer/#builds
          the status of the 3.0 version can be checked here:
          http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/status.html

          cheers
          Holger

          --
        • thomas.deweese@kodak.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Holger,

            svg-developers@yahoogroups.com wrote on 08/01/2006 11:07:03 AM:

            >> I would like to get an element from a x,y point
            >> (like in HTML)[..] Does anyone know such a function ?

            > there are four methods of the SVGSVGElement (
            > http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#InterfaceSVGSVGElement ) which
            > you could use:
            >
            > NodeList getIntersectionList ( in SVGRect rect, in SVGElement
            referenceElement );
            > NodeList getEnclosureList ( in SVGRect rect, in SVGElement
            referenceElement );
            > boolean checkIntersection ( in SVGElement element, in SVGRect
            rect );
            > boolean checkEnclosure ( in SVGElement element, in SVGRect rect
            );

            > but unfortunatly they are not implemented anywhere.

            Actually they are all implemented in the SVN version of Batik. ;)

            > I doubt that you will be able to write a function to get a points color
            > either, as there are no pixels in SVG, and therefor you dont have access

            > to pixel values.

            Quite correct. The WG will likely specify something along these
            lines but to be honest I think it will be problematic (too many cases
            where it won't give/do what people want or else be nigh impossible to
            implement, I think).
          • Phi Tran
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
              On 8/1/06, thomas.deweese@... <thomas.deweese@...> wrote:

              > Hi Holger,
              >
              > svg-developers@yahoogroups.com <svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com> wrote on
              > 08/01/2006 11:07:03 AM:
              >

              > >> I would like to get an element from a x,y point
              > >> (like in HTML)[..] Does anyone know such a function ?
              >

              > > there are four methods of the SVGSVGElement (
              > > http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#InterfaceSVGSVGElement ) which
              > > you could use:
              > >
              > > NodeList getIntersectionList ( in SVGRect rect, in SVGElement
              > referenceElement );
              > > NodeList getEnclosureList ( in SVGRect rect, in SVGElement
              > referenceElement );
              > > boolean checkIntersection ( in SVGElement element, in SVGRect
              > rect );
              > > boolean checkEnclosure ( in SVGElement element, in SVGRect rect
              > );
              > >
              > > but unfortunatly they are not implemented anywhere.
              >
              > Actually they are all implemented in the SVN version of Batik. ;)
              >

              > > I doubt that you will be able to write a function to get a points color
              > > either, as there are no pixels in SVG, and therefor you dont have access
              >

              > > to pixel values.
              >
              > Quite correct. The WG will likely specify something along these
              > lines but to be honest I think it will be problematic (too many cases
              > where it won't give/do what people want or else be nigh impossible to
              > implement, I think).

              I like to share with you on my point of view (as an SVG render developer).
              The Scenario is this: You have SVG draw you a Black line with 0.5 opacity
              (stroke-opacity="0.5").
              As in ZipProtocol I can give you the color that SVG generate which is
              0x80000000. where the 80 stand for 50% opacity and the rest 000000 is black
              color.
              Now we go to SVG developer point of view.

              - If that line is on the RED background the actual color is Dark
              RED.(RGB=0x800000)
              or
              - If the Background is WHITE then the actual color is GRAY (RGB=0x808080).
              Using this scheme I can have that black line in any color I want with RED
              range form 0x80 ->0, GREEN from 0x80->0 and BLUE from 0x80->0.

              Remember that the background can be anything even outside of the browser
              control such as :system background color, button color or even an image,
              flash image etc

              They are not under the control of the SVG render. In my case; I can only
              give developer the the Color and the opacity of what the SVG render
              generates But the true color can be where on the spectrum I describe above
              (Depend on the background.)

              At this time it is impossible for the developer to know what pixel color at
              a given point. Hoppefully in the future. If that capacity is there then it
              is the work of the browsers however I don't know how they can do it in the
              situation that the image that plug-in produced such as flash?.

              Hope this help.

              --
              Phi - Tran
              Hugely increase your speed, saving your band-width with ZipProtocol

            • Guy Morton
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
                I'm hoping someone more experienced than I can chuck us a clue on
                this one.

                We have a user of our app that claims that they can see the little
                Adobe-provided "Spinning balls" SVG movie but that when they go to
                load our app all they see is a message in plain text saying "Data not
                available".

                We thought this might be due to them having an older version of the
                plugin, but we tried our app in v2 of the plugin and it partially
                loads, so we figure it's not that.

                The user's browsers passes our detection routine, which uses the
                usual test-creation of an activeX object. The user is using IE 6 and
                WinXP.

                The text string "Data not available" does not appear in our
                application anywhere, so we are pretty sure we're not emitting that
                message.

                Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

                Guy
              • Jonathan Chetwynd
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Guy,

                  are you sure the links aren't local?
                  eg the adobe one clearly isn't

                  cheers

                  Jonathan Chetwynd

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Hi Jonathan. No, the SVG is definitely not local for her.

                    I've received new screenshots from the user which look more like the
                    partial loading i saw in v2 of ASV, so am reasonably convinced that's
                    the cause, but if anyone else has ideas please pass them along!

                    regards Guy

                    On 03/08/2006, at 2:18 AM, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

                    > Guy,
                    >
                    > are you sure the links aren't local?
                    > eg the adobe one clearly isn't
                    >
                    > cheers
                    >
                    > Jonathan Chetwynd
                    >

                    > On 2 Aug 2006, at 07:51, Guy Morton wrote:
                    >
                    > I'm hoping someone more experienced than I can chuck us a clue on
                    > this one.
                    >
                    > We have a user of our app that claims that they can see the little
                    > Adobe-provided "Spinning balls" SVG movie but that when they go to
                    > load our app all they see is a message in plain text saying "Data not
                    > available".
                    >
                    > We thought this might be due to them having an older version of the
                    > plugin, but we tried our app in v2 of the plugin and it partially
                    > loads, so we figure it's not that.
                    >
                    > The user's browsers passes our detection routine, which uses the
                    > usual test-creation of an activeX object. The user is using IE 6 and
                    > WinXP.
                    >
                    > The text string "Data not available" does not appear in our
                    > application anywhere, so we are pretty sure we're not emitting that
                    > message.
                    >
                    > Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
                    >
                    > Guy
                    >

                    > -----
                    > To unsubscribe send a message to: svg-developers-
                    > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > my membership"
                    > ----
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Phi Tran
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                      On 8/2/06, Guy Morton <guy@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jonathan. No, the SVG is definitely not local for her.
                      >
                      > I've received new screenshots from the user which look more like the
                      > partial loading i saw in v2 of ASV, so am reasonably convinced that's
                      > the cause, but if anyone else has ideas please pass them along!
                      >
                      > regards Guy

                      On 03/08/2006, at 2:18 AM, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

                      > > Guy,
                      > >
                      > > are you sure the links aren't local?
                      > > eg the adobe one clearly isn't
                      > >
                      > > cheers
                      > >
                      > > Jonathan Chetwynd
                      > >

                      > > On 2 Aug 2006, at 07:51, Guy Morton wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm hoping someone more experienced than I can chuck us a clue on
                      > > this one.
                      > >
                      > > We have a user of our app that claims that they can see the little
                      > > Adobe-provided "Spinning balls" SVG movie but that when they go to
                      > > load our app all they see is a message in plain text saying "Data not
                      > > available".
                      > >
                      > > We thought this might be due to them having an older version of the
                      > > plugin, but we tried our app in v2 of the plugin and it partially
                      > > loads, so we figure it's not that.
                      > >
                      > > The user's browsers passes our detection routine, which uses the
                      > > usual test-creation of an activeX object. The user is using IE 6 and
                      > > WinXP.
                      > >
                      > > The text string "Data not available" does not appear in our
                      > > application anywhere, so we are pretty sure we're not emitting that
                      > > message.
                      > >
                      > > Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
                      > >
                      > > Guy
                      > >

                      > > -----
                      > > To unsubscribe send a message to: svg-developers-
                      > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > -or-
                      > > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit
                      > > my membership"
                      > > ----
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Please don't get me on this. But on me, it had happened similar to this.
                      - I strongly suspect that there's too many "elements" in that DOM. I don't
                      know how large is your SVG? + your HTML. For Large SVG + other elements of
                      the DOM will cause the client behave differently from system to system-
                      Depend on how much memory and how many process that system is running. I
                      has happened to me before.

                      Hope this help.

                      Phi

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                        >AddType image/svg+xml .svg
                        >AddType image/svg+xml .svgz
                        >AddEncoding gzip .svgz

                        >into a file and rename it to .htaccess and upload this file to your webspaces root directory.
                        >that should do the trick.

                        It works, great. And surprisingly, I didn't have much to change to make it work on Firefox.
                        This yahoo group seems a great help, I'm glad I entered it ! Thank you guys

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                          Hi Phi

                          I don't think that's it. Our SVG is about 80k, then there's about
                          another 80k of external scripts and then 10k or so of html. It runs
                          fine on a 500MHz P3 win 98 box with 32Mb of RAM. The user in question
                          has a more modern and faster PC than that.

                          We're now pretty sure the symptoms we're seeing are down to the user
                          trying to load it up in ASV v2.0. If we find out different I'll let
                          the list know.

                          On this, I find it interesting that few of the SVG detection routines
                          I've seen (and copied from :-) have included detection of the ASV
                          version. We've now added that to ours, because of this problem.

                          I'm surprised every SVG developer isn't doing the same, especially
                          when I was told that ASV 2.0 was apparently bundled with Acrobat
                          reader 5.0, and so could be installed on lots of PCs.

                          How do people know their SVG isn't silently failing to work, with the
                          end user believing they are SVG capable while actually seeing your
                          content displayed in the ASV2.0 plugin?

                          Guy

                        • Phi Tran
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                            Hi Guy.

                            Just to throw out some thing that has happen on mine.

                            I have 256K Windows XP. And the ceiling is about 5500 element for the whole
                            system to then the IE will start to mess me up by partial load some of the
                            images.

                            I have actual created a simple HTML page each time a user click a button the
                            I use Javascript to create 1000 elements (div). I hope this is not on your
                            case. (if you remember the challenge Francis post on this list- -Last
                            december- I have to write a utility to reduce the number of totoal element
                            from 7000 to 3000 element in order to make it works). Sorry if it does not
                            help you much.

                            Phi.