Re: [svg-developers] Re: mousewheel event

  • Jonathan Chetwynd
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 31 10:36 PM
      James,

      It's probably unlikely that mousewheel will work with ASV until there
      is a new release, or hence IE.

      It's amazing there is any support in ff, given that mousewheel is not
      part of SVG1.1

      regards

      Jonathan Chetwynd
    • meikelneu
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Holger Will <holger@...> wrote:

        > in mozilla its evt.detail , but dont ask me about the values returned.
        > the only thing i know is if you scroll up its a positive value, if you
        > scroll down its negative.

        Thanks, Holger, I really couldn't find this even after a significant
        amount of googling. There seems to be some discussion with regard to
        DOM3 about wheelDelta

        as for the values returned it seems to be device dependent:

        using a Microsoft Mouse on WinXP I got the value 3 for each increment
        of the mousewheel (the Microsoft wheel has notches) and it turns out
        that in the Mouse Control Panel (System Preferences) the wheel
        settings were to "move 3 lines per increment". And indeed, changing
        this value was identically reflected in "evt.detail"

        Using an Apple Trackpad with scroll functionality (two fingers at
        once) resulted in different values but always integers. I expect
        similar results with devices like the Apple Mighty Mouse that doesn't
        have increments/ notches.

        Michael
      • Holger Will
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006

          Hi Michael

          >>using a Microsoft Mouse on WinXP I got the value 3 for each increment
          >>of the mousewheel (the Microsoft wheel has notches) and it turns out
          >>that in the Mouse Control Panel (System Preferences) the wheel
          >>settings were to "move 3 lines per increment". And indeed, changing
          >>this value was identically reflected in "evt.detail"

          thanks a lot, thats some useful information there. i cant wait to see
          this specified, and
          usable in more browsers.

          cheers
          Holger

          --
          if this information was useful, please try to help someone else !
          My Private Homepage: http://www.treebuilder.de
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006

            Here is a working example of using the mousewheel event in IE + ASV6 (can’t
            remember if it works in ASV3). The svg file is called from an embed element
            and this may not be what you need.

            http://www.geoloc.org/app/CITYFINDER/

            An onmousewheel attribute is placed in the embed element:

            <embed onmousewheel="myMapController.doOnMouseWheel()" type="image/svg+xml"
            src="map.svg" ...></embed

            In myMapController:

            this.doOnMouseWheel = function(){
            if (event.wheelDelta >= 120){
            this.playZoomSound('-');
            if(this.vbM) this.vbM.zoomOut();
            }else if (event.wheelDelta <= -120){
            this.playZoomSound('+');
            if(this.vbM) this.vbM.zoomIn();

            From where comes this magic number 120 ?
            I can't remember, the code almost 3 years old, but it seems to work fine.

            Cheers

            Christophe

            >>using a Microsoft Mouse on WinXP I got the value 3 for each increment
            >>of the mousewheel (the Microsoft wheel has notches) and it turns out
            >>that in the Mouse Control Panel (System Preferences) the wheel
            >>settings were to "move 3 lines per increment". And indeed, changing
            >>this value was identically reflected in "evt.detail"

            thanks a lot, thats some useful information there. i cant wait to see
            this specified, and
            usable in more browsers.

            cheers
            Holger
          • Doug Schepers
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
              Hi, Holger-

              Holger Will wrote:

              | i cant wait to see this specified, and usable in more browsers.

              Mousewheel events are specified in the latest draft of the SVG Tiny 1.2 spec
              (which will hopefully be a Candidate Recommendation soon). There is also
              work on them for the WebAPI Working Group's DOM3 specification, and if they
              meet the needs of SVG, the SVG spec will drop them in favor of the more
              language-neutral DOM3 version.

              So no matter what, there will be a specified mousewheel event soon, and I
              imagine that most browsers will support it.

              Regards-
              Doug
            • meikelneu
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2006
                Yep, this one works with ASV3 and ie6

                The question is: For how long?

                Since the Eolas patent thing ie6 is soon to change the way it handles
                plugin content via the embed tag ...