Re: Error using navigation.js from Carto.net

  • Marcel
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hi Andreas,

      Well I knew that there was a problem with real and converted
      coordinates.
      But I tried to change my results. That causes errors whether in
      the setted viewBox or in displayed coordinates.
      It was a logical problem.
      Now I change my variable input first and I get the focus on
      selected object.

      Thank you for help and your (and all other authors) great work
      on carto.net!!!

      Marcel

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
      <neumann@...> wrote:

      > Hi Marcel,
      >
      > In the method .setNewViewBox() you have to pass real world
      > coordinates, not the inverted ones. The script inverts the y-
      > coordinates in the method .setNewViewBox().
      >
      > Likewise in the method .showCoordinates() inverts the y-axis prior
      > display in order to display coordinate values correctly. Note,
      > however, that the method .calcCoord() does not invert the y-axis.
      You
      > have to multiply the result of this method by -1 for the y-axis.
      This
      > method is also used internally within the map object.
      >
      > I hope this helps. Let me know if you still have problems.
      >
      > Andreas
    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hi Marcel,

        I am still not sure I fully understand the problem you have.

        However, if you suggest something useful to improve the navigation tool that would
        benefit more people, I'd be happy to add a method or change the navigation tools.

        You can also mail me offline or in German, if you like.

        All the best,
        Andreas

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel" <marceltinka@...> wrote:

        > Hi Andreas,
        >
        > Well I knew that there was a problem with real and converted
        > coordinates.
        > But I tried to change my results. That causes errors whether in
        > the setted viewBox or in displayed coordinates.
        > It was a logical problem.
        > Now I change my variable input first and I get the focus on
        > selected object.
        >
        > Thank you for help and your (and all other authors) great work
        > on carto.net!!!
        >
        > Marcel
        >

        > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
        > <neumann@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Marcel,
        > >
        > > In the method .setNewViewBox() you have to pass real world
        > > coordinates, not the inverted ones. The script inverts the y-
        > > coordinates in the method .setNewViewBox().
        > >
        > > Likewise in the method .showCoordinates() inverts the y-axis prior
        > > display in order to display coordinate values correctly. Note,
        > > however, that the method .calcCoord() does not invert the y-axis.
        > You
        > > have to multiply the result of this method by -1 for the y-axis.
        > This
        > > method is also used internally within the map object.
        > >
        > > I hope this helps. Let me know if you still have problems.
        > >
        > > Andreas

      • Guy Morton
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 3, 2006
          I've just got myself a macbook pro running mac os x 10.7, and i
          downloaded firefox (the current version) and SVG is terrible in it.
          the bitmaps are all in a weird colour space and the text is outlined
          weirdly and so on. Is this just a problem with FF on a mac?

          Guy
        • jophof007
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 3, 2006

            Yes firefox on the Mac (Intel or PPC) is on SVG much worse than under
            PC. Font problems , the performance is much slower. Please file bugs
            in Bugzilla to help prioritise that (I did also but till now with no
            reponse).

            John Ophof
            http://open-modeling.sourceforge.net
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Guy Morton <guy@...> wrote:

            > I've just got myself a macbook pro running mac os x 10.7, and i
            > downloaded firefox (the current version) and SVG is terrible in it.
            > the bitmaps are all in a weird colour space and the text is outlined
            > weirdly and so on. Is this just a problem with FF on a mac?
            >
            > Guy

          • meikelneu
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 4, 2006
              "jophof007" <jophof007@...> wrote:

              > Yes firefox on the Mac (Intel or PPC) is on SVG
              > much worse than under PC.

              yes, this is unfortunately true and it's mainly due to poor Cairo (the
              graphic engine for SVG behind Firefox) development on MacOSX. Has
              anyone more insight in what the latest Cairo release is up to on OSX
              and if it will make it into Firefox2?
              http://cairographics.org/news/cairo-1.2.0 (July 1st, 2006)

              In my experience I was literally blown away by the SVG speed of
              Opera_9 on OSX. While I don't like Opera's UI for an everyday browser
              and find its type antialiasing with SVG sub-par it is currently my
              first choice on OSX for all things native SVG.

              Michael
            • T Rowley
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 4, 2006
                On 7/3/06 9:13 AM, Guy Morton wrote:
                > I've just got myself a macbook pro running mac os x 10.7, and i
                > downloaded firefox (the current version) and SVG is terrible in it.
                > the bitmaps are all in a weird colour space and the text is outlined
                > weirdly and so on. Is this just a problem with FF on a mac?

                Firefox 1.5.0.5 and Firefox 2 will contain the fixes for the byte
                ordering problems that cause SVG to look different between OS-X PPC and
                Intel.

                -tor
              • T Rowley
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 4, 2006
                  On 7/4/06 8:27 AM, meikelneu wrote:
                  > "jophof007" <jophof007@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Yes firefox on the Mac (Intel or PPC) is on SVG
                  >> much worse than under PC.
                  >
                  > yes, this is unfortunately true and it's mainly due to poor Cairo (the
                  > graphic engine for SVG behind Firefox) development on MacOSX. Has
                  > anyone more insight in what the latest Cairo release is up to on OSX
                  > and if it will make it into Firefox2?
                  > http://cairographics.org/news/cairo-1.2.0 (July 1st, 2006)

                  At this point we don't plan on updating to cairo-1.2 in Firefox 2, as
                  there's a serious regression in cairo's atsui font backend when dealing
                  with transformed text.

                  -tor
                • Jonathan Chetwynd
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 4, 2006
                    Guy,

                    my guess is that it's intel related.

                    I marginally prefer firefox over opera, primarily because the bug
                    reporting is public.
                    svg support is similar with both claiming support for elements that
                    are in reality at best bug-infested.
                    However the colour in os x non-intel is fine

                    cheers

                    Jonathan Chetwynd

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 4, 2006

                      Not intel related I am running both!

                      John
                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Chetwynd
                      <j.chetwynd@...> wrote:

                      > Guy,
                      >
                      > my guess is that it's intel related.
                      >
                      > I marginally prefer firefox over opera, primarily because the bug
                      > reporting is public.
                      > svg support is similar with both claiming support for elements that
                      > are in reality at best bug-infested.
                      > However the colour in os x non-intel is fine
                      >
                      > cheers
                      >
                      > Jonathan Chetwynd
                      >

                      > On 3 Jul 2006, at 15:13, Guy Morton wrote:
                      >
                      > I've just got myself a macbook pro running mac os x 10.7, and i
                      > downloaded firefox (the current version) and SVG is terrible in it.
                      > the bitmaps are all in a weird colour space and the text is outlined
                      > weirdly and so on. Is this just a problem with FF on a mac?
                      >
                      > Guy

                    • Erik Dahlström
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                        On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 20:36:23 +0200, Jonathan Chetwynd
                        <j.chetwynd@...> wrote:

                        > Guy,
                        >
                        > my guess is that it's intel related.
                        >
                        > I marginally prefer firefox over opera, primarily because the bug
                        > reporting is public.
                        > svg support is similar with both claiming support for elements that
                        > are in reality at best bug-infested.

                        I would be very interested to hear which elements that you consider
                        "bug-infested" in Opera 9.

                        Thanks
                        /Erik

                      • Jonathan Chetwynd
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                          Erik,

                          the comment wasn't meant to be offensive, rather informative.

                          I would strongly recommend making bug reports public.
                          in the meantime visit: http://my.opera.com/SVGraphics/forums/
                          forum.dml?id=2403
                          which is a public Opera SVG bug reporting space :-)

                          Perhaps a single example one I copied you into when reporting will
                          suffice;
                          element <text> and attribute systemLanguage support is claimed but at
                          least on OS X seems broken.
                          http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/svg/

                          regards

                          Jonathan Chetwynd

                          <j.chetwynd@...> wrote:

                          > Guy,
                          >
                          > my guess is that it's intel related.
                          >
                          > I marginally prefer firefox over opera, primarily because the bug
                          > reporting is public.
                          > svg support is similar with both claiming support for elements that
                          > are in reality at best bug-infested.

                          I would be very interested to hear which elements that you consider
                          "bug-infested" in Opera 9.

                          Thanks
                          /Erik

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Erik Dahlström
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                            On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:47:33 +0200, Jonathan Chetwynd
                            <j.chetwynd@...> wrote:

                            > Erik,
                            >
                            > the comment wasn't meant to be offensive, rather informative.

                            I'm not offended in any way, my mission is only to make sure those bugs
                            are fixed.

                            > I would strongly recommend making bug reports public.
                            > in the meantime visit: http://my.opera.com/SVGraphics/forums/
                            > forum.dml?id=2403
                            > which is a public Opera SVG bug reporting space :-)

                            Yes, that's one public place, but it's not a bug-tracking system it's just
                            a forum and it's not the supported way of reporting bugs*. So far the bugs
                            there carry too little information though (no testcases, no info of what
                            build/platform/etc), but I believe we have fixed some of them already in
                            spite of this.

                            > Perhaps a single example one I copied you into when reporting will
                            > suffice;
                            > element <text> and attribute systemLanguage support is claimed but at
                            > least on OS X seems broken.
                            > http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/svg/

                            Please explain how it's broken with direct pointers to the SVG spec and
                            with a testcase. I agree that using multiple accepted languages does make
                            it behave weird. The SVG spec doesn't really cover the case of multiple
                            accepted languages. If you only pick one language of those that are
                            accepted, then it follows that you behave strange in the case where the
                            systemLanguage specifies say the second or third accepted language and
                            with a default text-element (without systemLanguage) that is not even in
                            your list of accepted languages.

                            Pseudo-example:
                            accepted languages { french, german, swedish }
                            <switch>
                            <text systemLanguage="de">hallo</text>
                            <text systemLanguage="sv">hej</text>
                            <text>this is the default case</text>
                            </switch>

                            Regards
                            /Erik

                            *) Bugreports should go here: https://bugs.opera.com/wizard/

                          • Charles McCathieNevile
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                              <j.chetwynd@...> wrote:

                              > in the meantime visit:
                              > http://my.opera.com/SVGraphics/forums/forum.dml?id=2403
                              > which is a public Opera SVG bug reporting space :-)

                              FWIW I added a topic there on reporting bugs - we try to keep an eye on
                              places where reports come, but the more watching we do the less time is
                              spent actually building a better SVG browser...

                              cheers

                              Chaals

                              chaals@... Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com
                            • Holger Will
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                                Hi Chaals

                                >> in the meantime visit:
                                >> http://my.opera.com/SVGraphics/forums/forum.dml?id=2403
                                <http://my.opera.com/SVGraphics/forums/forum.dml?id=2403>
                                >> which is a public Opera SVG bug reporting space :-)

                                >FWIW I added a topic there on reporting bugs - we try to keep an eye on
                                >places where reports come, but the more watching we do the less time is
                                >spent actually building a better SVG browser...

                                I've started that forum, and my intention was to have a place where
                                people can talk about strange behavior or bugs, and dont have to care
                                about testcases and such,
                                and to let the community (me for example) do the work of writing
                                testcases, confirming bugs, provide temporarly workarounds and finally
                                do the bug posting,
                                so you have even more time to write code ;-)
                                so beside an occasional comment, i dont expect you to care about thouse
                                bugs until a proper bug report gets posted.
                                i will add a sticky post there to make this more clear.

                                thanks for your great work at Opera !
                                cheers
                                Holger

                                --

                                if this information was usefull, please try to help someone else !
                                My Private Homepage: http://www.treebuilder.de
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
                                  On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:16:37 +0200, Holger Will <holger@...>

                                  > so you have even more time to write code ;-)
                                  > so beside an occasional comment, i dont expect you to care about thouse
                                  > bugs until a proper bug report gets posted.
                                  > i will add a sticky post there to make this more clear.
                                  >
                                  > thanks for your great work at Opera !

                                  Thank you Holger for the initiative and for making this clear.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 6, 2006
                                    Erik,

                                    my perspective is slightly different to Chaals and Holger.
                                    one reason a bug tracking system should be public is that it enables
                                    the less skilled person (like me) to know whether a bug has been
                                    reported.
                                    this way they may be encouraged to develop a test case.
                                    currently about the only simple way I have of recording a bug issue
                                    is by copying the online report to chaals and yourself in an email.

                                    regarding systemLanguage http://www.peepo.co.uk is a test case and
                                    this was indicated in the forum and reported in bug #207469
                                    this has worked for some years in ASV3.1, and closely follows your
                                    suggestion, though perhaps missing some safety checks.
                                    my coding is most likely defective and I would welcome your always
                                    useful support and comments and shall act on them.

                                    When asserting that elements and attributes are supported it is
                                    important that there are cogent arguments to sustain decisions and UA
                                    behaviour. It seems plain that in this instance a decision has not
                                    been made as to implementation. For this reason it might perhaps be
                                    more reasonable to state "partial" implementation.

                                    How does one select 'large size' buttons? on OS X?
                                    is this a known bug?

                                    Once again I emphasise that I love Opera, and respect those that sail
                                    within her.

                                    ~:"

                                    Jonathan Chetwynd

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 6, 2006
                                      On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:27:18 +0200, Jonathan Chetwynd
                                      <j.chetwynd@...> wrote:

                                      > Erik,
                                      >
                                      > my perspective is slightly different to Chaals and Holger.
                                      > one reason a bug tracking system should be public is that it enables the
                                      > less skilled person (like me) to know whether a bug has been reported.
                                      > this way they may be encouraged to develop a test case.
                                      > currently about the only simple way I have of recording a bug issue is
                                      > by copying the online report to chaals and yourself in an email.

                                      I see your point, but the forum is actually a good place to start from
                                      then. It's more for discussions but if there is a bug people will advise
                                      you to report it. If you want to know more about the progress of some
                                      particular issue then ask there.

                                      > regarding systemLanguage http://www.peepo.co.uk is a test case and this
                                      > was indicated in the forum and reported in bug #207469
                                      > this has worked for some years in ASV3.1, and closely follows your
                                      > suggestion, though perhaps missing some safety checks.
                                      > my coding is most likely defective and I would welcome your always
                                      > useful support and comments and shall act on them.

                                      From the SVG 1.1 spec about systemLanguage:
                                      'Evaluates to "true" if one of the languages indicated by user preferences
                                      exactly equals one of the languages given in the value of this parameter,
                                      or if one of the languages indicated by user preferences exactly equals a
                                      prefix of one of the languages given in the value of this parameter such
                                      that the first tag character following the prefix is "-".'

                                      So if multiple languages are specified by user preferences, then it's
                                      clear in the spec that any one of them will trigger a match for
                                      systemLanguage. Maybe ASV3 doesn't support multiple preferred languages?

                                      > When asserting that elements and attributes are supported it is
                                      > important that there are cogent arguments to sustain decisions and UA
                                      > behaviour. It seems plain that in this instance a decision has not been
                                      > made as to implementation. For this reason it might perhaps be more
                                      > reasonable to state "partial" implementation.

                                      The SVG spec is large, and it is considerable work to actually test every
                                      bit of it, not to mention regression-testing releases so that nothing
                                      breaks as we go along. Yes currently the support-documentation is largely
                                      based on developer information, but I'm sure that the documentation will
                                      improve over time. If you want to help improve the documentation that's
                                      great, we would love to hear your thoughts. The forum would be one
                                      suggested place to start then :)

                                      I don't see how our documentation is all that different from the
                                      documentation for Mozilla's SVG implementation, do you mean that that too
                                      should indicate "partial" support?

                                      > How does one select 'large size' buttons? on OS X?
                                      > is this a known bug?

                                      I don't know exactly what you mean, but it seems like something
                                      non-svg-related, no?

                                      Best regards
                                      /Erik