SVG in Firefox

  • Mark C
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
      I am trying to see SVG in Firefox 1.5 on Macintosh 10.4.
      I am using the finder (file/open) or the Apache server (http) and I am
      getting nothing but the text.
      I tried sticking the SVG into an html page inside an img tag and that
      didn't work either.
      Am I on the wrong track here ?
      The SVG file I am using is static with gradients and works fine with the
      Adobe plug in but it doesn't work with plain Firefox.

      thanks

      Mark
    • Bjoern Hoehrmann
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
        * Mark C wrote:
        >I am trying to see SVG in Firefox 1.5 on Macintosh 10.4.
        >I am using the finder (file/open) or the Apache server (http) and I am
        >getting nothing but the text.
        >I tried sticking the SVG into an html page inside an img tag and that
        >didn't work either.
        >Am I on the wrong track here ?
        >The SVG file I am using is static with gradients and works fine with the
        >Adobe plug in but it doesn't work with plain Firefox.

        You probably didn't configure the MIME type for SVG resources in your
        web server configuration correctly, see

        http://wiki.svg.org/Server_Configuration

        for information on how to fix that.
        --
        Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@... · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
      • Mark Christol
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
          Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

          >* Mark C wrote:
          >

          >>I am trying to see SVG in Firefox 1.5 on Macintosh 10.4.
          >>I am using the finder (file/open) or the Apache server (http) and I am
          >>getting nothing but the text.
          >>I tried sticking the SVG into an html page inside an img tag and that
          >>didn't work either.
          >>Am I on the wrong track here ?
          >>The SVG file I am using is static with gradients and works fine with the
          >>Adobe plug in but it doesn't work with plain Firefox.
          >>

          >You probably didn't configure the MIME type for SVG resources in your
          >web server configuration correctly, see
          >
          > http://wiki.svg.org/Server_Configuration
          >
          >for information on how to fix that.

          hm
          I had
          AddType image/svg+xml svg
          instead of
          AddType image/svg+xml .svg
          Now I get the text in the window of the html but still no image.
          Anyway, that shouldn't really be an issue when I'm not using the server.
          I found this
          http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox_1.5#SVG_usage_situations
          which indicates that I should use an embed tag in the html instead of an
          img tag
          But it still doesn't even open the SVG directly, whic it, apparently,
          should.

          thanks

          Maek
        • Kam-Hung Soh
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Christol <christol@...> wrote:

            > hm
            > I had
            > AddType image/svg+xml svg
            > instead of
            > AddType image/svg+xml .svg
            > Now I get the text in the window of the html but still no image.
            > Anyway, that shouldn't really be an issue when I'm not using the server.
            > I found this

            http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_in_Firefox_1.5#SVG_usage_situations
            > which indicates that I should use an embed tag in the html instead
            of an
            > img tag
            > But it still doesn't even open the SVG directly, whic it, apparently,
            > should.
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > Maek

            Another suggest: use the "object" tag because "embed" doesn't seem to
            be part of the HTML standard any more. Here's an example that uses
            "object" to include an SVG file in an XHTML document which works for
            FF1.5, Opera9 and MSIE6+ASV3:

            http://members.optusnet.com.au/khsoh/000e.xhtml

            --
            Kam-Hung Soh
            http://kamhungsoh.blogspot.com - It Mostly Works
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
              On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:49:45 +1000, Kam-Hung Soh <kamhung.soh@...>
              wrote:

              > Another suggest: use the "object" tag because "embed" doesn't seem to
              > be part of the HTML standard any more. Here's an example that uses
              > "object" to include an SVG file in an XHTML document which works for
              > FF1.5, Opera9 and MSIE6+ASV3:
              >
              > http://members.optusnet.com.au/khsoh/000e.xhtml

              Actually, embed was never part of an HTML standard. It was used by
              Netscape, and then adopted by other browsers for compatibility, when
              standards weren't as fashionable...

              cheers

              Chaals

              --
              Charles McCathieNevile chaals@...
              Peek into the kitchen: http://snapshot.opera.com/
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
                Mark,

                did you try opening the file from within firefox?
                try something known to work such as http://www.peepo.co.uk or
                http://www.kevlindev.com/tutorials/basics/shapes/svg/index.htm

                did you try a different browser such as Opera beta 2?

                at least if you try these different options, one can narrow down the
                possibilities.
                they all work fine for me on OS X 10.4

                cheers

                Jonathan Chetwynd

                On 5 Jun 2006, at 19:45, Mark C wrote:

                I am trying to see SVG in Firefox 1.5 on Macintosh 10.4.
                I am using the finder (file/open) or the Apache server (http) and I am
                getting nothing but the text.
                I tried sticking the SVG into an html page inside an img tag and that
                didn't work either.
                Am I on the wrong track here ?
                The SVG file I am using is static with gradients and works fine with the
                Adobe plug in but it doesn't work with plain Firefox.

                thanks

                Mark

                -----
                To unsubscribe send a message to: svg-developers-
                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Xml format Svg Format
                Data

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "svg-developers" on the web.

              • christol@fuse.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                  I tried some other files.
                  The game reccomended earlier worked fine.
                  Other files of mine gave me errors mainly regarding namespace issues.
                  This is using file/open as well as via http.
                  Currently I am clueless, but I will figure it out.
                  Firefox != Adobe viewer, I guess.
                  :-)

                  thanks

                  Mark

                  ---- Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@...> wrote:
                  > Mark,
                  >
                  > did you try opening the file from within firefox?
                  > try something known to work such as http://www.peepo.co.uk or
                  > http://www.kevlindev.com/tutorials/basics/shapes/svg/index.htm
                  >
                  > did you try a different browser such as Opera beta 2?
                  >
                  > at least if you try these different options, one can narrow down the
                  > possibilities.
                  > they all work fine for me on OS X 10.4
                  >
                  > cheers
                  >
                  > Jonathan Chetwynd
                  >

                  > On 5 Jun 2006, at 19:45, Mark C wrote:
                  >
                  > I am trying to see SVG in Firefox 1.5 on Macintosh 10.4.
                  > I am using the finder (file/open) or the Apache server (http) and I am
                  > getting nothing but the text.
                  > I tried sticking the SVG into an html page inside an img tag and that
                  > didn't work either.
                  > Am I on the wrong track here ?
                  > The SVG file I am using is static with gradients and works fine with the
                  > Adobe plug in but it doesn't work with plain Firefox.
                  >
                  > thanks
                  >
                  > Mark
                  >

                  > -----
                  > To unsubscribe send a message to: svg-developers-
                  > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > membership"

                  > Xml format Svg Format
                  > Data
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > Visit your group "svg-developers" on the web.

                  > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and click "edit my membership"
                  > ----
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • hardisondan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Hi,

                    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

                    If you click on this link:

                    http://people.aapt.net.au/~AAPT_12950709/index.htm
                    <http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/index.htm>

                    In IE6 and 7, it takes you to the Adobe SVG viewer download and after
                    that seems to work fine.

                    In Firefox, where I thought SVG support was native, it doesnt work. It
                    doesnt seem to find the viewer to download.

                    And if you go straight to the SVG file like this:

                    http://people.aapt.net.au/~AAPT_12950709/graph.svg
                    <http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/graph.svg>

                    it just shows the SVG code and doesnt render the image.

                    I havent tried any other browsers.

                    Any advice appreciated.

                    Dan

                  • G. Wade Johnson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 5, 2009
                      On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 02:52:56 -0000
                      "hardisondan" <hardisondan@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?
                      >
                      > If you click on this link:
                      >
                      > http://people.aapt.net.au/~AAPT_12950709/index.htm
                      > <http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/index.htm>
                      >
                      > In IE6 and 7, it takes you to the Adobe SVG viewer download and after
                      > that seems to work fine.
                      >
                      > In Firefox, where I thought SVG support was native, it doesnt work. It
                      > doesnt seem to find the viewer to download.
                      >
                      > And if you go straight to the SVG file like this:
                      >
                      > http://people.aapt.net.au/~AAPT_12950709/graph.svg
                      > <http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/graph.svg>
                      >
                      > it just shows the SVG code and doesnt render the image.
                      >
                      > I havent tried any other browsers.
                      >
                      > Any advice appreciated.

                      Firefox is correct.

                      Your webserver is returning the wrong content type for SVG. It's
                      returning "text/plain" instead of "image/svg+xml".

                      G. Wade
                      --
                      There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis,
                      then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 5, 2009
                        On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM, G. Wade Johnson <gwadej@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 02:52:56 -0000
                        > "hardisondan" <hardisondan@... <hardisondan%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi,
                        > >
                        > > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?
                        > >
                        > > If you click on this link:
                        > >
                        > > http://people.aapt.net.au/~AAPT_12950709/index.htm<http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/index.htm>
                        > > <http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/index.htm>
                        > >
                        > > In IE6 and 7, it takes you to the Adobe SVG viewer download and after
                        > > that seems to work fine.
                        > >
                        > > In Firefox, where I thought SVG support was native, it doesnt work. It
                        > > doesnt seem to find the viewer to download.
                        > >
                        > > And if you go straight to the SVG file like this:
                        > >
                        > > http://people.aapt.net.au/~AAPT_12950709/graph.svg<http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/graph.svg>
                        > > <http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/graph.svg>
                        > >
                        > > it just shows the SVG code and doesnt render the image.
                        > >
                        > > I havent tried any other browsers.
                        > >
                        > > Any advice appreciated.
                        >
                        > Firefox is correct.
                        >
                        > Your webserver is returning the wrong content type for SVG. It's
                        > returning "text/plain" instead of "image/svg+xml".
                        >
                        > G. Wade

                        How you checked that content type is wrong, I use firebug but unable to
                        locate such details,,

                        --
                        ┌─────────────────────────┐
                        │ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )

                      • Samuel Dagan
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 5, 2009
                          Hi Narenda,
                          Have a look at http://wiki.svg.org/MIME_Type .
                          You'll find there the required information.
                          Cheers, Samy

                          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, narendra sisodiya
                          <narendra.sisodiya@...> wrote:

                          > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM, G. Wade Johnson <gwadej@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 02:52:56 -0000
                          > > "hardisondan" <hardisondan@... <hardisondan%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Hi,
                          > > >
                          > > > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?
                          > > >
                          > > > If you click on this link:

                          http://people.aapt.net.au/~AAPT_12950709/index.htm<http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/index.htm>
                          > > > <http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/index.htm>
                          > > >
                          > > > In IE6 and 7, it takes you to the Adobe SVG viewer download and
                          after
                          > > > that seems to work fine.
                          > > >
                          > > > In Firefox, where I thought SVG support was native, it doesnt
                          work. It
                          > > > doesnt seem to find the viewer to download.
                          > > >
                          > > > And if you go straight to the SVG file like this:

                          http://people.aapt.net.au/~AAPT_12950709/graph.svg<http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/graph.svg>
                          > > > <http://people.aapt.net.au/%7EAAPT_12950709/graph.svg>
                          > > >
                          > > > it just shows the SVG code and doesnt render the image.
                          > > >
                          > > > I havent tried any other browsers.
                          > > >
                          > > > Any advice appreciated.
                          > >
                          > > Firefox is correct.
                          > >
                          > > Your webserver is returning the wrong content type for SVG. It's
                          > > returning "text/plain" instead of "image/svg+xml".
                          > >
                          > > G. Wade
                          > >

                          > How you checked that content type is wrong, I use firebug but unable to
                          > locate such details,,
                          >
                          > --
                          > â"Œâ"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"
                          > â"‚ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )
                          > â"‚ R&D Engineer
                          > â"‚ http://narendra.techfandu.org
                          > â""â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"˜

                        • Guy Morton
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 5, 2009
                            Look at the headers sent by the web server.

                          • Dan Hardison
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 5, 2009
                              Thanks! Is there any way I can change that? Its just a free web page provided by my ISP. I doubt if I have much control over it. But if I can modify my page somehow to fix it I will.

                              Dan

                              ________________________________
                              > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?
                              >
                              > If you click on this link:
                              >
                              > http://people. aapt.net. au/~AAPT_ 12950709/ index.htm
                              > <http://people. aapt.net. au/%7EAAPT_ 12950709/ index.htm>
                              >
                              > In IE6 and 7, it takes you to the Adobe SVG viewer download and after
                              > that seems to work fine.
                              >
                              > In Firefox, where I thought SVG support was native, it doesnt work. It
                              > doesnt seem to find the viewer to download.
                              >
                              > And if you go straight to the SVG file like this:
                              >
                              > http://people. aapt.net. au/~AAPT_ 12950709/ graph.svg
                              > <http://people. aapt.net. au/%7EAAPT_ 12950709/ graph.svg>
                              >
                              > it just shows the SVG code and doesnt render the image.
                              >
                              > I havent tried any other browsers.
                              >
                              > Any advice appreciated.

                              Firefox is correct.

                              Your webserver is returning the wrong content type for SVG. It's
                              returning "text/plain" instead of "image/svg+xml" .

                              G. Wade
                              --
                              There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis,
                              then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the
                              hypothesis, then you've made a discovery. -- Enrico Fermi

                              Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more

                            • Robert Longson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 5, 2009
                                <narendra.sisodiya@...> wrote:

                                > How you checked that content type is wrong, I use firebug but unable to
                                > locate such details,,

                                You don't need any add-ons for this.

                                Tools->Page Info

                                Then look at the Type field.

                                Best regards

                                Robert
                              • Jake Beard
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 5, 2009
                                  Haha, that's cool, I didn't know you could do that,

                                  Jake

                                  Robert Longson wrote:

                                  > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com>, narendra sisodiya
                                  > <narendra.sisodiya@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > How you checked that content type is wrong, I use firebug but unable to
                                  > > locate such details,,
                                  > >

                                  > You don't need any add-ons for this.
                                  >
                                  > Tools->Page Info
                                  >
                                  > Then look at the Type field.
                                  >
                                  > Best regards
                                  >
                                  > Robert

                                • G. Wade Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 6, 2009
                                    On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:16:08 -0800 (PST)
                                    Dan Hardison <hardisondan@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks! Is there any way I can change that? Its just a free web page
                                    > provided by my ISP. I doubt if I have much control over it. But if I
                                    > can modify my page somehow to fix it I will.

                                    The SVG Wiki has a page on this: http://wiki.svg.org/MIME_Type. Samuel
                                    Dagan already provided it.

                                    You can ask your ISP if they can fix the mime-types for the whole site.
                                    It's not likely they would help, but it's worth a try. Otherwise, you
                                    can use the advice on the Wiki to set the type for the directory where
                                    your SVG lives.

                                    HTH,
                                    G. Wade

                                    --
                                    If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the
                                    significance of a clean desk? -- Laurence J. Peter
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 6, 2009
                                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "G. Wade Johnson" <gwadej@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > [] Otherwise, you can use the advice on the Wiki to set the type
                                      > for the directory where your SVG lives.
                                      >
                                      > HTH,

                                      If my ISP is anything to go by, they will not let you do that either.
                                      I came to the conclusion that the problem is that SVG does not yet
                                      appear to be an ICAN approved MIME type. Can anyone explain why not? I
                                      thought it had been going through the process months ago.